TELEVISION DEAL FOR PRO14

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: TELEVISION DEAL FOR PRO14

Postby New Gunner on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:12 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
New Gunner wrote:I think this is a pretty compelling package to be fair - pay annually up front and it's a little over £8 per month for two HD channels, all 152 matches live, more analysis, magazine show and highlights. It's a real bonus that every Embra game will be televised, including away from home, and hopefully with a better quality package around pre- and post- match coverage.

Would be great if Alex Payne of Sky got picked up by Premier - in my opinion he's a top presenter and would be a great loss. Rory Lawson is good, Quinnell's quite likeable, but please god no Stuart Barnes.

Pro 14 broadcast revenue going from £12m between 12 clubs to £30m between 14 in a short time frame is a good effort considering the significantly smaller audience compared to England & France.

Cheaper than a st

Probably noisier in my house too
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:43 pm

New Gunner wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:
New Gunner wrote:I think this is a pretty compelling package to be fair - pay annually up front and it's a little over £8 per month for two HD channels, all 152 matches live, more analysis, magazine show and highlights. It's a real bonus that every Embra game will be televised, including away from home, and hopefully with a better quality package around pre- and post- match coverage.

Would be great if Alex Payne of Sky got picked up by Premier - in my opinion he's a top presenter and would be a great loss. Rory Lawson is good, Quinnell's quite likeable, but please god no Stuart Barnes.

Pro 14 broadcast revenue going from £12m between 12 clubs to £30m between 14 in a short time frame is a good effort considering the significantly smaller audience compared to England & France.

Cheaper than a st

Probably noisier in my house too

:lol:
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:14 pm

The comment on the cost v's a ST sales is a valid one. It's a bit of a game changer (and quite unexpected) to have every single league game broadcast in HD, particularly if we are playing in a temp stadium that could be quite exposed to the elements and uncomfortable in the depth of winter (I say this from the assumption that at 7,500 capacity, it may be open to the elements at the ends). There will always be the die hards who will pitch up but I do wonder what impact this will have on attendances and ST sales in particular? Might not be the best of timing for ER in particular when Cockers has things turning around and we will be looking to grow the fan base and crowd (in a city that has always been pretty resolute in not coming out to support the team)?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue May 01, 2018 11:57 am

Wottie wrote:The comment on the cost v's a ST sales is a valid one. It's a bit of a game changer (and quite unexpected) to have every single league game broadcast in HD, particularly if we are playing in a temp stadium that could be quite exposed to the elements and uncomfortable in the depth of winter (I say this from the assumption that at 7,500 capacity, it may be open to the elements at the ends). There will always be the die hards who will pitch up but I do wonder what impact this will have on attendances and ST sales in particular? Might not be the best of timing for ER in particular when Cockers has things turning around and we will be looking to grow the fan base and crowd (in a city that has always been pretty resolute in not coming out to support the team)?

having games FTA on ALBA, BBC NI, BBC Wales would have a bigger effect than £8 per month, particularly if that £8 is on top of a SKY Sports subscription. Results are far and away the biggest factor in determining crowd size.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue May 01, 2018 12:08 pm

Wottie wrote:The comment on the cost v's a ST sales is a valid one. It's a bit of a game changer (and quite unexpected) to have every single league game broadcast in HD, particularly if we are playing in a temp stadium that could be quite exposed to the elements and uncomfortable in the depth of winter (I say this from the assumption that at 7,500 capacity, it may be open to the elements at the ends). There will always be the die hards who will pitch up but I do wonder what impact this will have on attendances and ST sales in particular? Might not be the best of timing for ER in particular when Cockers has things turning around and we will be looking to grow the fan base and crowd (in a city that has always been pretty resolute in not coming out to support the team)?

I've never heard someone saying that paying to watch a game on TV would encourage people to stay at home more than watching a game on TV for free before the last couple of days.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Tue May 01, 2018 1:28 pm

biffer wrote:

I've never heard someone saying that paying to watch a game on TV would encourage people to stay at home more than watching a game on TV for free before the last couple of days.

I think you have to take into account the actual demographics of the the support for both teams. How many supporters actually travel outside a radius of say 20 miles or 45 minutes away. Probably not that many in the grand scheme of things. It's those people who will benefit from this sort of deal and at that price it's not too bad unless you need another subscription to get this add on...then it's pants.

I would never buy a ST for Glasgow or Edinburgh as living in Aberdeen it does not make sense BUT I would but the package being touted. Think it is an all round success story unless there are hidden catches somewhere like you have to like Billy Barnes.

Wonder if some deal has been made to have all matches having TMO on the back of this or the other way around. Just having Pro14 do the TMO part themselves would have incurred a fair cost but maybe they said.....do all the games and we will run TMOs on your kit etc.
KenMavor
International

Postby Wottie on Tue May 01, 2018 1:36 pm

KenMavor wrote:Wonder if some deal has been made to have all matches having TMO on the back of this or the other way around. Just having Pro14 do the TMO part themselves would have incurred a fair cost but maybe they said.....do all the games and we will run TMOs on your kit etc.

Can't have TMO if there is no TV coverage as they rely on the feeds so the 100% TMO is a function of 100% coverage for all games.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue May 01, 2018 2:03 pm

20 miles :eek:! Given our attendance figures 2 miles and a 5 min tram ride is a stretch for many.

Our ST sales are SteveWalsh, attendance in general is SteveWalsh, the marketing from ER is SteveWalsh, I see more about each match from the Huxley than ER, for once results and performances for the large part are good and yet attendance has not improved at all.

The marketing effort appears focused on milking the 2 Glasgow matches for as much as possible, targeting the event crowd, which there will always be a market for, rather than building a larger more sustainable fan base. I appreciate it is “easier” money to a large extent but with a bit of effort and some good results we should be able to maximize both and regular income is better than one off income.

There is real opportunity for ER to make a big effort to market our participation in the top Euro competition which is not on PremierSport and making sure that the only way to guarantee access is by season ticket. Despite only losing I think 2 home league games (?) we still only got about 3500 to matches. If we are on the back pitches as expected we should aim to sell at least that many STs for a 7500 capacity stadium and commit to playing all our games at the venue including the European games, if there are 3 matches again v Glasgow have one at ER, one at Scotstoun one at big Murrayfield start creating demand and the fear of missing out on seeing a Montpelier or Racing etc play.

Back on topic I think the TV deal looks good and will almost certainly be taking it up alongside my ST, I think the league is a lot better than it gets coverage for with more entertaining rugby than the AP or T14.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Tue May 01, 2018 6:02 pm

Ahead of next season Premier will confirm the recruitment of their on-air talent and commentators – characters who know just what it takes to compete in the Championship.

I was mulling over who i'd like to see doing commentary and punditry. I would imagine some of the celtic BBC and Sky staff would be offered the job?

Rory Lawson, Scott Quinnell, Stephen Ferris as pundits?

Hopefully, we don't get Andy Irvine or Jonathan Davies commentating although that's personal taste, they could end up being better than what we end up with.

Paul O'Connell was a breath of fresh air in the BBC 6N coverage, although I imagine he's highly sought after and probably tied down to an Irish broadcaster.

Also hello, that was my first post on here!
STKS
International

Postby Pitfitter on Tue May 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Slightly confused, do I need to be a sky sports customer to take up the premier package, or, does it stand alone?
Pitfitter

Postby bignose on Tue May 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Pitfitter wrote:Slightly confused, do I need to be a sky sports customer to take up the premier package, or, does it stand alone?

All the following is based on *my* reading of the Premier Sports and Pro14 web sites. I reserve the right to be wrong.

If you are a Sky customer, you can add Premier sports to your package.

If you are a Virgin customer, you can add Premier sports to your package

If you have a Sky box, but no Sky subscription, then you can get a viewing card from Premier Sports that will activate the package on that. You won't have any of the Sky features e.g. recording.

If you don't have a Sky box or Virgin, then you get to watch the games via the "Premier Player" which runs on your phone or tablet (or Apple TV or firestick, probably). You can the "cast" that content to your telly (subject to your telly and phone/tablet being able to talk to each other).
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Tue May 01, 2018 9:07 pm

If games aren't on Friday nights I think it's very unlikely that I'll be renewing my season ticket. The odd game on a Sat is fine, but ,I or my game buddy, won't be able to make enough games on a Saturday to justify a season ticket.

Very unhappy if this comes to pass, after the joy of the weekend. Priority should be getting people to games, TV money isn't going to have us competing with the 24 clubs in the English and French top leagues so all it's doing is making rugby more expensive and inaccessible to supporters, and giving more dosh to the players.

Free TV home games on Alba didn't encourage people to come to games either, I sometimes ducked some due to weather and it being on TV. Away games would have be better, or some pay per view that didn't dictate playing times.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue May 01, 2018 9:22 pm

sammy wrote:If games aren't on Friday nights I think it's very unlikely that I'll be renewing my season ticket. The odd game on a Sat is fine, but ,I or my game buddy, won't be able to make enough games on a Saturday to justify a season ticket.

Very unhappy if this comes to pass, after the joy of the weekend. Priority should be getting people to games, TV money isn't going to have us competing with the 24 clubs in the English and French top leagues so all it's doing is making rugby more expensive and inaccessible to supporters, and giving more dosh to the players.

Free TV home games on Alba didn't encourage people to come to games either, I sometimes ducked some due to weather and it being on TV. Away games would have be better, or some pay per view that didn't dictate playing times.

Do you get a personal butler in this ideal world TV deal as well?

How many Saturday games would make you drop the ST? 25%, 30%?
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Tue May 01, 2018 9:36 pm

If I read it right most games will be on a Saturday, if that's the case then a season ticket will just not make any sense for me. Have had a season ticket for 3/4 years, but this seems like the end of the road. I'm sure I'll not be the only one that will not manage Saturdays regularly. I don't have Sky or Virgin so will not be able to play back the games either so will find Edinburgh rugby very difficult to follow going forwards.

Not sure what the butler comment is about.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue May 01, 2018 10:04 pm

sammy wrote:If I read it right most games will be on a Saturday, if that's the case then a season ticket will just not make any sense for me. Have had a season ticket for 3/4 years, but this seems like the end of the road. I'm sure I'll not be the only one that will not manage Saturdays regularly. I don't have Sky or Virgin so will not be able to play back the games either so will find Edinburgh rugby very difficult to follow going forwards.

Not sure what the butler comment is about.

2 on Friday, 4 on Saturday plus one other. Most weekends outside of AIs and 6Ns this year had either a 3-4 or a 2-5 Fri-Sat split. It might not be as different as people are thinking.

40% of our homes games this season were on a Saturday.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum