TELEVISION DEAL FOR PRO14

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

TELEVISION DEAL FOR PRO14

Postby borderflanker on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:22 pm

If as reported on social media, the BBC [ not sure is just BBC Walesor all channels in Scotland & NI] have lost the rights to Premier Sports a pay per view Irish based channel costing £120 per annum to receive . At present I only have Sky, as there is more offered on it rather than BT .
I won`t be subscribing to it, but in the long term will this affect viewing figures, I think yes and therefore harm the product. Views please ?
borderflanker
Established pro

Re: TELEVISION DEAL FOR PRO14

Postby biffer on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:29 pm

If there's a decent market for it, then someone with more money than premier sports will come in for it next time. If there's not, premier sports won't renew their deal.

The thing I hate is there's no real commitment to the league from any broadcaster - Scottish broadcaster shows Scottish games, Irish broadcaster shows Irish games, Welsh broadcaster shows Welsh games (I think S4C carried Munster v Ulster this season and that's the only exception). the mess of broadcasting gives the impression of a mess of an organisation.

If one broadcaster has most of the games and has a decent once a week magazine / analysis programme, that's something I might be interested in paying for.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Here is the piece off the BBC website and the key quote below which confirms that coverage for BBC's English Language channels has been lost. Sounds like there could still be a chance of BBC Alba continuing (alongside the welsh speaking channel). As the article goes on to mention, it could increase attendances at games (not that that helps those living far afield of course). Anything that reduces access to the game is bound to be a negative in the long term however. Be interesting to see how much additional dosh the clubs will see from this. I already have Sky and BT subscriptions. I won't be adding another. Need to sort out a regular arrangement in a local hostelry that will screen all of the games. If ER have any sense they will get something set up at BT Murrayfield in whatever facilities we will have there for next season for any /all televised ER away games. Be good to get a small crowd together for this and this change to TV rights could be the ideal catalyst for that to work (particularly of if Alba lose out as well).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43302261

"Competition organisers are understood to have awarded the UK rights to a pay-TV service, but BBC Wales had hoped to continue broadcasting games in Wales.

It means viewers will no longer be able to watch regional games on free-to-air television in English. Negotiations over Welsh language rights are ongoing."
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:42 pm

Wottie wrote:Here is the piece off the BBC website and the key quote below which confirms that coverage for BBC's English Language channels has been lost. Sounds like there could still be a chance of BBC Alba continuing (alongside the welsh speaking channel). As the article goes on to mention, it could increase attendances at games (not that that helps those living far afield of course). Anything that reduces access to the game is bound to be a negative in the long term however. Be interesting to see how much additional dosh the clubs will see from this. I already have Sky and BT subscriptions. I won't be adding another. Need to sort out a regular arrangement in a local hostelry that will screen all of the games. If ER have any sense they will get something set up at BT Murrayfield in whatever facilities we will have there for next season for any /all televised ER away games. Be good to get a small crowd together for this and this change to TV rights could be the ideal catalyst for that to work (particularly of if Alba lose out as well).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43302261

"Competition organisers are understood to have awarded the UK rights to a pay-TV service, but BBC Wales had hoped to continue broadcasting games in Wales.

It means viewers will no longer be able to watch regional games on free-to-air television in English. Negotiations over Welsh language rights are ongoing."

What's the point of selling TV rights and then actively undermining the broadcasters attempts to sell subscriptions by encouraging your fans not to buy them because you show them at your club's ground?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:02 pm

[quote="biffer] What's the point of selling TV rights and then actively undermining the broadcasters attempts to sell subscriptions by encouraging your fans not to buy them because you show them at your club's ground? [/quote]

Not encouraging anyone not to buy subs, only providing a viewing option. It's hardly going to undermine much is it as only the local support will be able to avail themselves and if they are prepared to go to a venue to watch in a group or crowd environment (as opposed to watching from comfort of own sofa), might as well be at the Club as opposed to a pub! The Club will get some additional bar receipts and it may assist in creating more of club feel / environment and provide more of a platform to move the Supporters Club on a bit? I'd be up for that.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:21 pm

Tweet from Hugh Dan suggests no Alba coverage in future either
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby borderflanker on Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:44 pm

Premier run by the company that ran Setanta, so what happens when they go bust again ?
borderflanker
Established pro

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:38 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Tweet from Hugh Dan suggests no Alba coverage in future either

That's disappointing. Alba is relatively easy for me to access as an expat. I'd actually probably pay for Premier but their streaming is UK only.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:44 pm

I won't pay for that, don't have sky sports or BT at present and will now just have to miss out on the away game coverage.
Pitfitter

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:59 pm

To be honest if we get the product right it may encourage bigger attendances
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Annoying Alba is being lost but the league needs more money.

I'll subscribe to watch Edinburgh and Glasgow games.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:21 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Annoying Alba is being lost but the league needs more money.

is the league getting more money? Not clear to me that it is. You'll be lucky to get 2 Scot team live matches a month.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:02 pm

joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Annoying Alba is being lost but the league needs more money.

is the league getting more money? Not clear to me that it is. You'll be lucky to get 2 Scot team live matches a month.

If it was the best bid - as reported it was - then yes the league is getting more money. Can't imagine Alba were paying much if anything.

I reckon it'll be better than that. They'll change the schedule and have more games on Saturdays and Sundays to cover. 1930 Friday, 1230 1500 1700 1900 Saturday and 1400 1600 Sunday I reckon. All the games in there.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby artie fufkin on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:19 pm

Well this is a turn up for the books to say the least. Premier Sports may have won the rights to broadcast across the British Isles footprint with subscription being the main model. The company also has a ftv channel called Freesports UK broadcasting a mixture of sports both live and recorded. It may be that not all Pro14 games are behind a paywall. The question of quantum is really important. The current tv deals provide a relatively small amount of cash to the organisation, this may go a little way to help underpin all clubs attempts to compete with other leagues.
Premier TV schedule's is weak at the moment. They recently lost rights to Australian Rugby League to Sky and all games were covered over the weekend. One broadcaster could ensure that all British Isles games are staggered across the weekend to ensure each game stands alone. Subscriptions are £10pcm and this is where the challenge lies. Unless they have more content they will struggle to be anything more than a niche broadcaster, and the league will struggle in terms of overall exposure. If they have total tv rights I would be disappointed that social media options havent been considered, as this is one way for the league to widen the fanbase
I think some clarity is needed from Pro14 and Premier TV in time to demonstrate what their product could look like going forward.
artie fufkin
World Cup Star

Postby artie fufkin on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:34 pm

Agree there may be fixed timeslots across the weekend, which although good for tv viewers and consistent it makes it more difficult for teams to sell a regular timeslot to fans for season tickets. On a positive note the exclusivity makes it easier for the tv company to build up magazine style programmes which have been sadly lacking, beyond BBC Wales Scrum V
artie fufkin
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum