Embra v Connacht Fri 23rd March

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra v Connacht Fri 23rd March

Postby biffer on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:02 am

Much as I like Weir, another view on this would be that he’s only bothered himself to play when he needs a contract. We’ve seen that before with other players.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:04 am

GaryIPA wrote:Quite amazed how many Irish folk don’t know the grounding law

For Weir's try? They think it needs to be in a player's hands?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:06 am

That's all 4 Irish sides beaten in the last 5 games. Who would have thought......?
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:08 am

Frenchy wrote:

Yip. Hasn’t been like that for years
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:15 am

GaryIPA wrote:
Frenchy wrote:

Yip. Hasn’t been like that for years

To be fair it’s still 1983 in Galway
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:24 am

Weirs belly flop onto the ball was definitely downward pressure!

It was the conditions and type of match that suited Weir. Certainly brought control and a better kicking game but dont think longer term he would be the 10 to get our backline moving and playing more expansive rugby it would be a luxury to keep him for the odd arm wrestle of a match.

Has been very important in getting us a couple of key wins this season but if we are to keep improving we need to be scoring more tries and I don't think Weir is the man to open up the opposition enough.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:42 am

The term downward pressure isn’t used now either
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:50 am

biffer wrote:Much as I like Weir, another view on this would be that he’s only bothered himself to play when he needs a contract. We’ve seen that before with other players.

If he'd been playing like that at the start of the season, he'd be staying.

Think it's too late for him to be playing for a contract, but I'm sure he enjoys making a point with his performances and I respect that.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:45 am

To be fair, I am regularly amazed at how many people at rugby matches appear to not know the laws. You can understand people not keeping up with all the latest variations, but lack of knowledge of basic laws is all too common.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:04 am

That was a very good win against a Connacht side that p!aged well. The effort being put in is phenomenal, and we're consistently finding ways to win matches from positions where it could have gone either way. Perhaps Fortuna is smiling on us at the moment, as the break of the ball seems to be going our way; if so, I hope she keeps it up for another few weeks.

I didn't think Fowles played badly. Ok, so he made more mistakes than he should, but his service was good. I also get frustrated by how slow he seems at the back of rucks before he box kicks, but you have to assume he's following instructions from Cockers, otherwise he'd have been hooked. Cockers said before the match that we wouldn't be playing an expansive game, so Fowles was presumably just doing what he'd been asked to.

Hardie was a machine, we're going to miss him next season.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:08 am

Weegie wrote:

To be fair, I am regularly amazed at how many people at rugby matches appear to not know the laws. You can understand people not keeping up with all the latest variations, but lack of knowledge of basic laws is all too common.

Don’t think it’s a major issue if you don’t unless you want to moan about descisions
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:09 am

At no point did I think we were going to lose the game. Thought with 10 minutes left as Cockers likes to say we were 'in the fight' and winning games in late is now a habit for this side.

Thought Dean was excellent before he went off (the Irish lad not going off too for at least a HIA is dodgy). Bradbury and Hardie stood up throughout too.

Kinghorn was rusty but not his game. Hope it's just rust having barely played for a month rather than a SHC form nose dive post internationals.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:14 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:That was a very good win against a Connacht side that p!aged well. The effort being put in is phenomenal, and we're consistently finding ways to win matches from positions where it could have gone either way. Perhaps Fortuna is smiling on us at the moment, as the break of the ball seems to be going our way; if so, I hope she keeps it up for another few weeks.

I didn't think Fowles played badly. Ok, so he made more mistakes than he should, but his service was good. I also get frustrated by how slow he seems at the back of rucks before he box kicks, but you have to assume he's following instructions from Cockers, otherwise he'd have been hooked. Cockers said before the match that we wouldn't be playing an expansive game, so Fowles was presumably just doing what he'd been asked to.

Hardie was a machine, we're going to miss him next season.

To be honest he hasn't played that much this season and we're better. So I don't think we'll miss him that much.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:29 am

GaryIPA wrote:
Weegie wrote:

Don’t think it’s a major issue if you don’t unless you want to moan about descisions

As a former lower level ref myself, I generally try and avoid moaning about decisions. I do however get irritated at matches by people who quite clearly do not understand the laws yelling at the ref, which happens all too often.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:11 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
biffer wrote:Much as I like Weir, another view on this would be that he’s only bothered himself to play when he needs a contract. We’ve seen that before with other players.

If he'd been playing like that at the start of the season, he'd be staying.

Think it's too late for him to be playing for a contract, but I'm sure he enjoys making a point with his performances and I respect that.

I think these comments. Particularly the first one is harsh.

As an aside great kick on for his try
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum