Embra v Connacht Fri 23rd March

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra v Connacht Fri 23rd March

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Players won't go missing with Cockers in charge. Just won't be allowed too.

I don't think Weir has ever hidden, neither SHC, Hardie or CdP. The reasons they aren't staying isn't to do with their desire. Who Knows where Weir would be if not for the injury this season but what's happened happened.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:56 pm

I’ve yet to see what everyone sees in VDW to be honest, and I’d rather we were holding on to Weir.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:16 am

djphilp wrote:I’ve yet to see what everyone sees in VDW to be honest, and I’d rather we were holding on to Weir.

VdW needs to sort his kicking game out pretty urgently or it will cost us. I'm also not convinced Bennett is our best 13 (yet). JJ has looked more threatening and probably Dean too.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:37 am

macdone wrote:
djphilp wrote:I’ve yet to see what everyone sees in VDW to be honest, and I’d rather we were holding on to Weir.

VdW needs to sort his kicking game out pretty urgently or it will cost us. I'm also not convinced Bennett is our best 13 (yet). JJ has looked more threatening and probably Dean too.

His kicking needs sorted or SHC/Kinghorn to take over. I like some of what vdW does, he attacks the line well and is a classy distributor. Worth remembering he was transplanted in our side with no time to adapt. Next season we'll see how good he is I think.

Same with Bennett, he's not been great so far. But he didn't have a preseason and is back from a horrendous injury. Hopefully we'll see his best next year too. I think Dean's been our best centre this year - having a cracking year.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:46 pm

He's a solid player and distributes well. Kicking needs some work though. And a wet and windy night in Galway was probably a learning experience for him.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 am

I agree with most comments, you can't question Duncy's commitment to Edinburgh. Hopefully he will get a fresh start elsewhere, although several comments on Glasgow board about wanting him back.

VDW has looked a handy player so far ball in hand, kicking has been a bit dicey, but I think we should give him a chance.
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:20 pm

I think VDW is decent and will be good backup, but I hope Hickey is better. He is a Tovey type of player but a lsight upgrade.

His kicking is an issue as if he plays then either Bennet or Kinghorn need to step up, his kicking from hand is ok but he needs to learn to read the wind. My biggest bugbear is that he crabs with the ball in hand, it cuts down space out wide. It is fairly easily sorted I would think.

Weir on form would be in any Pro 14 23 I would think. He had a bad run of form when we were shaping our squad for next year so it was a bit unlucky, he did have 18 months to prove himself though and didn't manage to do it. No doubt he will go on to be a success somewhere like Worcestr, I just hope he can play in the top flight somewhere.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum