Embra v Connacht Fri 23rd March

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra v Connacht Fri 23rd March

Postby doedin on Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:07 pm

I've always thought Weir was a tidy player, he is a good footballer, brave and is faster than you think. However when he moved to us he struggled in a team that was pretty devoid of ideas and motivation. He tried too hard but lost his confidence, probably having to cope with very very poor service from our 9s, and then got injured and struggled since. We saw last night what he can bring to a game. With none of our 9s capable of running a game and all pretty poor kicking from hand Weir showed just how to control a game from half back, a bit like their 10 was doing for them before they subbed him - not sure why they did that cause he was running the show for them? Weir is exactly the sort of player a team needs away from home in those conditions - staying calm, making the right decisions and kicking well from hand to get us into the right areas of the pitch. VdW is a decent 10 and will get better but I would still have him behind a fit and confident Weir to be honest, particularly with ball in hand.

I suspect that Weir is going to free up some dosh. Both our new 10s will be less expensive and we desperately need another experienced 9. Hardie is in similar position, although his indiscretions will have also played a part in the decision to let him go too. Hardie was a beast last night.

If we can qualify for the big boys cup we may see some extra cash being made available given the extra revenue that generates for the SRU. Im sure Cockerill will invest it wisely.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:12 pm

biffer wrote:Much as I like Weir, another view on this would be that he’s only bothered himself to play when he needs a contract. We’ve seen that before with other players.

Rubbish. There are many criticisms you could make of him and his time here, that isn't one of them. There were games where he looked like the only player who gave a damn. How the memory fades
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:17 pm

Weegie wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:
Weegie wrote:To be fair, I am regularly amazed at how many people at rugby matches appear to not know the laws. You can understand people not keeping up with all the latest variations, but lack of knowledge of basic laws is all too common.

Don’t think it’s a major issue if you don’t unless you want to moan about descisions

As a former lower level ref myself, I generally try and avoid moaning about decisions. I do however get irritated at matches by people who quite clearly do not understand the laws yelling at the ref, which happens all too often.

It's been a while since I've been to a game but there was usually a shouty bloke with no clue going off at the ref. It's either a widespread phenomenon or I was very unlucky with my seating choices.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:17 pm

Wasn't me, I don't sit
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 pm

Watching Fowles last night drove me to distraction-I think his boxkicking is getting even worse (if that's possible?)
What is the postion with SHC.Anyone know if heas he injured-recovering from last week's HIA-or rested? Apart from his other qualities his goalkicking may be very important in the week's ahead.
(Two important games coming up today.A win for Munster over Scarlets arguably more important for us than Cardiff over Ulster-Cheetahs could be close to catching Munster and if we were to finish third I don't think another long trip to SA in the play-offs would be welcomed. )
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:25 pm

Not sure on that, more chance of winning in SA I would think. Thomond is not the best place to go in knockout rugby.

Easiest thing would be to just finish 2nd and get the Cheetahs to come to us. Simple really!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:33 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Not sure on that, more chance of winning in SA I would think. Thomond is not the best place to go in knockout rugby.

Easiest thing would be to just finish 2nd and get the Cheetahs to come to us. Simple really!

Wo won’t win at Thomond. We might win at cheetahs if they can overtake Munster
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:35 pm

Cheetah fixtures, Blues home Munster home Kings away
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Ulster yellow. Could have been red
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:28 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Not sure on that, more chance of winning in SA I would think. Thomond is not the best place to go in knockout rugby.

Wo won’t win at Thomond. We might win at cheetahs if they can overtake Munster

To be honest given where we were for the last 6 or 7 years, I’ll be delighted with third place, Champions Cup for next year and a wee trip to Limerick in May for a number of beers to celebrate the fact. Won’t be too worried about being well beaten over there knowing we’re on an upward curve, ahead of where we thought we’d be and with good additions to the squad secured for next season.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:38 pm

joe soap wrote:
biffer wrote:Much as I like Weir, another view on this would be that he’s only bothered himself to play when he needs a contract. We’ve seen that before with other players.

Rubbish. There are many criticisms you could make of him and his time here, that isn't one of them. There were games where he looked like the only player who gave a damn. How the memory fades

He was very poor on a fair number of occasions. He’s only found any form when he needs a contract. Make of that what you will.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Rather my thoughts too. Given we could still be in the CC at that stage last thing we need is a trip to SA c.7th May.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:01 pm

joe soap wrote:

May have played jamesmatthew but he did care
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:29 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
joe soap wrote:

May have played jamesmatthew but he did care

Last season, at least, he looked like he was the only one, at times.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:44 pm

biffer wrote:
joe soap wrote:

He was very poor on a fair number of occasions. He’s only found any form when he needs a contract. Make of that what you will.

I made no comment on how he played. He was SteveWalsh in a SteveWalsh team with poor ball and poorer service from a poor scrum half. But he at least showed it meant something to him, and didn't hide, not a charge that could be levied at many last season or early this one.
Make of that as you will in terms of the other players who went hiding and may do again if Edinburgh have a sticky period
joe soap
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum