Edinburgh v Glasgow II

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Glasgow II

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:17 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:When was the last midweek semi final at Hampden? Last midweek semi I can think of would've been Vs Dundee united at Tyncastle.

They stopped them years ago and now Aberdeen fans complain bitterly about 12 o'clock weekend kick offs and have fill their end at best. The SFA WayneBarnes up with 12 o'clock Aberdeen kick offs too.

People won't want to travel to Edinburgh for a game finishing after 9. It's not about Glasgow having it their own way it's about the SRU ruining a good idea.

It is live on Sky, it will have AlanLewis all to do with the SRU when it kicks off!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:22 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:When was the last midweek semi final at Hampden? Last midweek semi I can think of would've been Vs Dundee united at Tyncastle.

They stopped them years ago and now Aberdeen fans complain bitterly about 12 o'clock weekend kick offs and have fill their end at best. The SFA WayneBarnes up with 12 o'clock Aberdeen kick offs too.

People won't want to travel to Edinburgh for a game finishing after 9. It's not about Glasgow having it their own way it's about the SRU ruining a good idea.

Somebody add "The game finishes too late" to the list of reasons for non-attendance on the other thread, please (and mark it with the "GW" tag)
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:40 pm

biffer wrote:

Aberdeen played on a Tuesday night in Motherwell three days ago.

In a run of the mill league game. Hardly the show piece of Scottish league football.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:38 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
biffer wrote:

In a run of the mill league game. Hardly the show piece of Scottish league football.

Same problem applies though.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:49 pm

biffer wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
biffer wrote:

Same problem applies though.

Sure same problem but different situation.

The 1872 games at Murrayfield are the best opportunity to get a large crowd circa 30,000 for a club match per year. Seems the SRU have shot themselves in the foot. Motherwell Vs Aberdeen is a meh occasion.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:21 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:

It is live on Sky, it will have AlanLewis all to do with the SRU when it kicks off!

If I wasn't attending, at that time on a Saturday night it's not a crossbar I'm watching, it's the bar with drink on it so Sky must think we have LawrenceBryce all better to do on weekend, don't have sky sports anyway.
Watching Edinburgh does tend to send me towards a bottle?
When contracts are signed for tv somebody needs to have an input from the clubs regarding matchday times, or even plod who have crowds? to control. Want done.
Pitfitter

Postby macdone on Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:22 am

We may well end up needing 1 solitary point to secure 3rd place. Let's say we are 9 points down with 20 minutes to go and we have 2 tries in the bag when we get a penalty, do we A) kick to the corner or B) go for the posts?
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:48 am

macdone wrote:We may well end up needing 1 solitary point to secure 3rd place. Let's say we are 9 points down with 20 minutes to go and we have 2 tries in the bag when we get a penalty, do we A) kick to the corner or B) go for the posts?

Points.

Every time.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:03 am

macdone wrote:We may well end up needing 1 solitary point to secure 3rd place. Let's say we are 9 points down with 20 minutes to go and we have 2 tries in the bag when we get a penalty, do we A) kick to the corner or B) go for the posts?

Glasgow were in this position a few years ago. Took the kick to get the no ended up above us in the league iirc
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:12 pm

Pitfitter wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:

If I wasn't attending, at that time on a Saturday night it's not a crossbar I'm watching, it's the bar with drink on it so Sky must think we have LawrenceBryce all better to do on weekend, don't have sky sports anyway.
Watching Edinburgh does tend to send me towards a bottle?
When contracts are signed for tv somebody needs to have an input from the clubs regarding matchday times, or even plod who have crowds? to control. Want done.

Three hours down frae Aberdeen....would be 2.5 hours if the new Aberdeen bypass was open but don't get me started......then 3 hours back.....not going to happen either by car or public transport. SRU missed a great opportunity to make it a rugby missionary day to spread the word. I know TV will have decided the timings but getting 30k to a Weegie/Embra match would have been colossal for the game.
KenMavor
International

Postby adi1314 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:35 pm

It does seem like a missed opportunity.
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:48 pm

On one page of the SRU site there are only West Stand tickets abvailable, but when you go into the other pages there are a few seats left in the East Stand, with a good few sold in the North and South, too.

If the SRU have nothing to do with the scheduling they can't be blamed for it, but it would have been good to get a lot of WEst stand tickets sold, too.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:06 pm

Aren't the SRU partly responsible having scheduled all the Cup matches on the same day so the 1872 Cup had to be late on to accommodate all the games on the main pitch earlier?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:26 pm

liveinhope wrote:Aren't the SRU partly responsible having scheduled all the Cup matches on the same day so the 1872 Cup had to be late on to accommodate all the games on the main pitch earlier?

That only holds if the SRU are adamant that the Edinburgh Glasgow game goes on last, or they could start earlier if it were entirely up to them.

I have no idea to be honest, I don't know who dictated what.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:04 pm

Really excited about this game now.

Can't imagine how fired up the boys and Cockers will be. Get one over the rivals and qualify for the Champions Cup?!

As long as none of them are Berghan fired up and Kinghorn is fit i believe we can do them. Although they won't surely be as bad I just don't think their pack can handle ours.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum