Edinburgh v Glasgow II

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Glasgow II

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:20 pm

biffer wrote:
Pitfitter wrote:This Happy Clappy is off to have a look into flights to Cork.

I’ve had shufty into Cork or Shannon and couldn’t find much sensible to suit. Post up if you do better. :?:

Flights and hotels ridiculous. If I could get one or the other at a reasonable price I could justify it, but it’s looking like five to six hundred before you even start drinking.

Flights to and from Dublin and train to Cork (changing at Limerick junction for Limerick) might be worth looking at as an alternative option. Train journey is about 2.5 hours and relatively cheap. Last train back from Limerick is 2055, so doable with a night (or two) in Dublin. Used to do that myself in the days when I travelled a lot. It's a pleasant way to spend a day even if we don't get the result.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:33 pm

BigD163 wrote:The game wasn't as close as the score suggests. The forwards dominated that game.

Most of our Scotland forward players (or potential internationals) got the better of their opposition:
Rambo better than Brown
GG and Toolis are miles ahead of the powderpuff swinson IMO.
Bradbury and Ritchie better than the weeg back row. If Harley is named in anymore Scotland squads ahead of them it would be farcical.
Carmichael isn't far behind Cummings either, if at all. The difference is opportunity. Carmichael is behind a better group of second rows. His maul defence is excellent.

I don't think Carmichael is behind Cummings. I've been awfully disappointed with Cummings this year - he's just not improving. Would be Glasgow bias alone if Toonie takes Cummings in summer over Carmichael.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:35 pm

What a win!

Recorded it on Sky to watch it again and it was just as good.

Our backrow absolutely bullied theirs. Our from five just ragdolled theirs the whole match. It was awesome.

SHC played beautifully (a slight concern he's been better since announcing he's off...)

Backs full of effort but lacking a bit of quality except VdM. Surprised no Welsh region has picked up Harries. An honest prpbv
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:58 pm

That was a great match to watch, a game like that really rekindles the rugby zest. I thought Owens reffed that pretty well, no niggly little stop-starts and the game flowed nicely. I watched it in the pub with a bunch of occasional rugby supporters, from being mildly interested at the outset they were shouting and getting excited in no time and were dead impressed by Embra, hope lots of occasional visitors were equally smitten.

Nice shout-out in the comments above for Lay, Rasolea and Harries, who I thought all stepped up and gave it their best shot for Embra. Great win, great coach!
royc
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:48 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
BigD163 wrote:The game wasn't as close as the score suggests. The forwards dominated that game.

Most of our Scotland forward players (or potential internationals) got the better of their opposition:
Rambo better than Brown
GG and Toolis are miles ahead of the powderpuff swinson IMO.
Bradbury and Ritchie better than the weeg back row. If Harley is named in anymore Scotland squads ahead of them it would be farcical.
Carmichael isn't far behind Cummings either, if at all. The difference is opportunity. Carmichael is behind a better group of second rows. His maul defence is excellent.

I don't think Carmichael is behind Cummings. I've been awfully disappointed with Cummings this year - he's just not improving. Would be Glasgow bias alone if Toonie takes Cummings in summer over Carmichael.

I really rate Carmichael I was trying to temper my enthusiasm about him. It's hard to fully compare because he hasn't had the game time Cummings has had and Cummings has probably played too much in a pack that can't be easy for a young tight 5 forward to play in. I think they are both still great prospects but I wouldn't swap Carmichael for any of the locks in that Glasgow squad yesterday.

I'd love to see him tour in the summer.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:19 pm

Wottie wrote:I’m struggling to recall a better and more enjoyable 1872 game. They never normally entertain, this was different. Only thing missing was a proper McLeod v Fusaro style confrontation :wink:

Couple of things need calling out:
1. Lineout was near flawless all game. What a difference reliance on that makes.
2. Driving maul defence was out of the top drawer, and was possibly the most significant element in winning us the game.
3. If we are to progress through the knockouts, Sammy needs to start going for 80.
4. Penalty count - 3 against us all game. Discipline and accuracy like that is outstanding and a far cry from the near 20 count against us in the Scotstoun fixture.
5. Back row were superb as a unit and the strength and depth we have there is ridiculous (and young)
6. Thought VDW at 10 had an excellent game. Kicking from hand was much better and it’s clear he thrives when the goal kicking responsibilities are elsewhere. Should be a great battle between him and Hickey for the jersey next season.

This Happy Clappy is off to have a look into flights to Cork.

In a bigger picture scenario we won 15 games same as pool a winners and more than the 2 teams finishing above us
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:20 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
Wottie wrote:I’m struggling to recall a better and more enjoyable 1872 game. They never normally entertain, this was different. Only thing missing was a proper McLeod v Fusaro style confrontation :wink:

1. Lineout was near flawless all game. What a difference reliance on that makes.
2. Driving maul defence was out of the top drawer, and was possibly the most significant element in winning us the game.
3. If we are to progress through the knockouts, Sammy needs to start going for 80.
4. Penalty count - 3 against us all game. Discipline and accuracy like that is outstanding and a far cry from the near 20 count against us in the Scotstoun fixture.
5. Back row were superb as a unit and the strength and depth we have there is ridiculous (and young)
6. Thought VDW at 10 had an excellent game. Kicking from hand was much better and it’s clear he thrives when the goal kicking responsibilities are elsewhere. Should be a great battle between him and Hickey for the jersey next season.

In a bigger picture scenario we won 15 games same as pool a winners and more than the 2 teams finishing above us

15 must be about what we won in total over the previous 2 seasons, remarkable turnaround in less than a year.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:48 pm

Anyone know who the young guy is behind Charlie Shiel is in the team photo? He was wearing one of the hi viz bibs with the subs during the warm up. Looked like he plays 2nd row \ back row perhaps?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43913039
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:26 am

macdone wrote:Anyone know who the young guy is behind Charlie Shiel is in the team photo? He was wearing one of the hi viz bibs with the subs during the warm up. Looked like he plays 2nd row \ back row perhaps?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43913039

I asked my (SRU contracted) son the same question during the warm up. Unhelpfully, I can't remember his name but he is an ex-George Watson's second row.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:27 am

GaryIPA wrote:

2 more points and we'd have topped the conference and would be looking forward to a home semi-final right now (all other things being equal). Wonder what odd you'd have got on that at the start of the season :eek:
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:08 am

Rico wrote:2 more points and we'd have topped the conference and would be looking forward to a home semi-final right now (all other things being equal). Wonder what odd you'd have got on that at the start of the season :eek:

I know there are loads of ifs and buts over a season but taking a win from that 17 point lead against Benetton at Myreside in September and it could have been so different. The re-shaped backline for next season should also add a good few bonus points to our tally. With only 8 this season, we are well behind the other playoff qualifiers who have 12 to 15. All said we are miles ahead of where we could reasonably have expected to be after only a season and this with all the jamesmatthew going on in the background around where we considered "Home". Amazing result which Cockers and the team should be very proud. If only they could now get the crowd to match their endeavours and outcomes. Hopefully that will address itself next season as well.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Wottie wrote:
Rico wrote:2 more points and we'd have topped the conference and would be looking forward to a home semi-final right now (all other things being equal). Wonder what odd you'd have got on that at the start of the season :eek:

I know there are loads of ifs and buts over a season but taking a win from that 17 point lead against Benetton at Myreside in September and it could have been so different. The re-shaped backline for next season should also add a good few bonus points to our tally. With only 8 this season, we are well behind the other playoff qualifiers who have 12 to 15. All said we are miles ahead of where we could reasonably have expected to be after only a season and this with all the jamesmatthew going on in the background around where we considered "Home". Amazing result which Cockers and the team should be very proud. If only they could now get the crowd to match their endeavours and outcomes. Hopefully that will address itself next season as well.

I actually think that loss was a watershed and galvanised the team not sure we would have turned out as well had we won
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:42 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
Wottie wrote:

I actually think that loss was a watershed and galvanised the team not sure we would have turned out as well had we won

I tend to agree. That was the moment when it really emphasised to Cockerill what he was dealing with and what had to change. And it gave the players no get outs, no ifs and buts.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:48 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
Wottie wrote:

Agree with that. And in fairness to Benetton, they have turned out to be no one's mugs this season.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum