Edinburgh v Glasgow II

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Glasgow II

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:35 pm

gunneria wrote:Motm was Ritchie, he literally (and I hate overuse of the word literally) ran himself into the ground. His tackles and nuisance factor a big part of the win. Others played their part.

And I still can't stand Wilson!!!!!!

They all did. Gilchrist and VDM were gubbed
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:38 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
gunneria wrote:Motm was Ritchie, he literally (and I hate overuse of the word literally) ran himself into the ground. His tackles and nuisance factor a big part of the win. Others played their part.

It's what we've all been waiting for, a team that puts it all out there.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:01 am

gunneria wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

It's what we've all been waiting for, a team that puts it all out there.

+1

I thought our pack all played really well, better than really well, they outplayed and dominated their opposite numbers.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:10 am

Ya LawrenceBryce beauty, slainte. :airborne:
Pitfitter

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:34 am

Will be interesting how we adapt to playing a much harder pack next week. We looked dangerous and in anoth r game would have kicked some goals and kept the score moving.

It also showed how important SHC is for us, if he performs like that again next week I have no doubt he will get the money he is looking for. Also the Scotland 21 shirt is up for grabs.

We desperately need to replace him well.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:11 am

After hearing the unexpected result from Munster our game could be viewed in a pleasantly relaxed frame of mind. And what a game it was, one of the best I've seen for a long time. Both teams played well (if you couldn't enjoy their second try you should give up on rugby and find another sport to watch), and also played with passion. I think we just about deserved the win, though it could have gone either way.

Everyone gave their all, but despite another "back to his best" performance from SHC, the forwards deservedly get most of the plaudits for that one. Our back row dominated theirs, we held the upper hand in the scrum and lineout, and we mauled better than they did. The lineout defence for that last play was a thing of beauty in its own way. Amongst a lot of great performances I'd give a special mention to Jordan Lay, who has been an unexpected find for us. Solid in the scrum, keen to get the ball and make some yards into the defence, he fully deserved his try.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:34 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:After hearing the unexpected result from Munster our game could be viewed in a pleasantly relaxed frame of mind. And what a game it was, one of the best I've seen for a long time. Both teams played well (if you couldn't enjoy their second try you should give up on rugby and find another sport to watch), and also played with passion. I think we just about deserved the win, though it could have gone either way.

Everyone gave their all, but despite another "back to his best" performance from SHC, the forwards deservedly get most of the plaudits for that one. Our back row dominated theirs, we held the upper hand in the scrum and lineout, and we mauled better than they did. The lineout defence for that last play was a thing of beauty in its own way. Amongst a lot of great performances I'd give a special mention to Jordan Lay, who has been an unexpected find for us. Solid in the scrum, keen to get the ball and make some yards into the defence, he fully deserved his try.

Good comments. Lay in particular has done well. A few neg comments when he arrived as he had done nothing special prior to arrival and in the AI. I was also impressed by Rasolea and Harries. Brought in last minute so far from our strongest back line but still did a job
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:52 am

I’m struggling to recall a better and more enjoyable 1872 game. They never normally entertain, this was different. Only thing missing was a proper McLeod v Fusaro style confrontation :wink:

Couple of things need calling out:
1. Lineout was near flawless all game. What a difference reliance on that makes.
2. Driving maul defence was out of the top drawer, and was possibly the most significant element in winning us the game.
3. If we are to progress through the knockouts, Sammy needs to start going for 80.
4. Penalty count - 3 against us all game. Discipline and accuracy like that is outstanding and a far cry from the near 20 count against us in the Scotstoun fixture.
5. Back row were superb as a unit and the strength and depth we have there is ridiculous (and young)
6. Thought VDW at 10 had an excellent game. Kicking from hand was much better and it’s clear he thrives when the goal kicking responsibilities are elsewhere. Should be a great battle between him and Hickey for the jersey next season.

This Happy Clappy is off to have a look into flights to Cork.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:13 am

The game wasn't as close as the score suggests. The forwards dominated that game.

Most of our Scotland forward players (or potential internationals) got the better of their opposition:
Rambo better than Brown
GG and Toolis are miles ahead of the powderpuff swinson IMO.
Bradbury and Ritchie better than the weeg back row. If Harley is named in anymore Scotland squads ahead of them it would be farcical.
Carmichael isn't far behind Cummings either, if at all. The difference is opportunity. Carmichael is behind a better group of second rows. His maul defence is excellent.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:52 am

This Happy Clappy is off to have a look into flights to Cork.

I’ve had shufty into Cork or Shannon and couldn’t find much sensible to suit. Post up if you do better. :?:
Pitfitter

Postby biffer on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:05 am

Pitfitter wrote:This Happy Clappy is off to have a look into flights to Cork.

I’ve had shufty into Cork or Shannon and couldn’t find much sensible to suit. Post up if you do better. :?:

Flights and hotels ridiculous. If I could get one or the other at a reasonable price I could justify it, but it’s looking like five to six hundred before you even start drinking.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:11 am

How about a ferry and drive from Belfast? Part of the problem is public transport is poor in Ireland so you cant stay far outwith the centre.

Glasgow have in the past offered places on a charter, might be worth making enquiries there? (not Glasgow, you know what I mean!)
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:15 am

Just had a look, £98 for flights and £60 for a double room in a b&b, certainly doable.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:28 am

To where/when?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:35 am

First of all well done the Munster 2ndXV-hell of a 2nd half and took a lot of pressure off our game of course.
Given the Munster match didn't finish till 7.30 I presume there can be no suggestion that Kinghorn or Dean at the last minute to protect them once result known? Apparently some mention in the Sky commentary that Kinghorn was "ill" so hopefully he'll be ok for Saturday.Given the match will be at Champions Cup intensity this is just the sort of game he (and the rest of the squad) need to build experience in an absolute pressure cooker atmosphere.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum