Edinburgh Vs Ulster 6/4/2018

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Vs Ulster 6/4/2018

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:32 pm

Problem is pressure keeps building, it is still in our hands but Scarlets and Glasgow are really tough games.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:34 pm

tough game, plenty of chances to get a result. dupreez burleigh wont be missed. shc was ok. dean should have started. mata was good.
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Thought mata and Bradbury both carried really aggressively. Agree on Dean midfield defence felt better with him on but maybe just subjective.

Bit unlucky with a few decisions thought a forward pass was missed which they got line out from, the pen v Ritchie in the tackle, should have been YC for Henderson but mostly our own doing some brainless moments particularly from experienced players.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:48 pm

difficult towards the end as we pushed to score, to be too critical, as tfg says knockon missed, weir running left of 2 scrums with blair right seemed poor choices.
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:01 pm

Absolutely rank rotten for the first thirty.

Absent from the breakdown all night.

Missed tackles in the backs repeatedly

SHC had a decent game by his standards but the old 'somewhere in the area' style of service still a problem

Weir running up alleys all night. Some heads up play - the try, obviously - but didn't seem in synch with his backs

Kinghorn needs to develop his decision making a bit further, the always run option isn't working as opposition know he's going to do it. Could do with spending a few weeks in Canada and USA with a bit of tutoring from Hogg who did much the same at the same age.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:04 pm

Lost the breakdown and lost the game. Ulster had watched us last week and did exactly the same to us as Cardiff did. Ritchie and Bradbury no where near the breakdown, we didnt win a turnover all night and lost quite a few. Failed to slow them down and we paid penalty. We seem to have lost the confidence we had as quickly as we gained it. Still surprised we didnt just dig in and carry tight around the breakdown, too eager to go wide without having earned the right, as a result our wide guys got man and ball all night. We needed some big carriers into their fringe defence. All not yet lost but getting mighty tight!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:04 am

Official attendance 5k and last week was 7k. Imagine if we were any good. We're not asking to win trophies, just to finish in the top half of the table for the first time in a decade. But some players are already getting nosebleeds at those lofty heights.

That backline is truly horrific. We are completely reliant on a pair of 22 year olds conjuring up something out of nothing. How long does Bennett get special status and not have to play well to get picked? How long does Hodge get a free pass for? Weir´s brain fart at the end to make our lead in the table 8 points instead of 10 summed up our back play and our night in general.

That's our best team (minus Watson). Bear in mind we have had to weaken the squad at hooker, 2nd row and back row in order to make the signings we have made. It's hard to criticise people who stay away. I hope the players prove them wrong of course. Most of the idiots on this board (including me) will be back for more regardless.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:49 am

A dominant scrum (IMO Berghan is very much an unsung fellow for his performances this year for Scotland & Edinburgh), aggressive tackling but the backs were poor.

It was a peculiar decision for Edinburgh to recruit 2 journeymen 10s (Tovey & Weir) when its been clear for years that 10 remains one of Edinburgh's main issues.

Bennett was a magnificent player but he's done little to suggest that a return to that form is fortcoming

Alas Hodge has consistently failed. Last night surely someone should have said something like ......"right Ulster have got the potentially brilliant Piatau & the 6N POTY in Stockdale at the back so don't kick long".......May not be all Hodge's fault but he is the backs coach. As well to have played SHC at 10.

I would like to see Jason O'Halloran to be brought in to replace Hodge.

Finally I was exceptionally disappointed at the attendance last week (I am one of the non-attendees) but 7,000 for a very important game...............................................
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:54 am

Fair do's to Ulster, they played well and deserved the win. Although not as bad as against Cardiff, we started the game in mogadon mode, and lacked the required intensity for 30 minutes and never really recovered. It was back to the old Edinburgh, where everyone seems to be going through the motions and waiting for something to happen, rather than having the desire to really go for it and make something happen. Ulster played with pace and intensity, and by the time we woke up we had a mountain to climb.

I think anyone that has seen us over the last few months would admit that we have had the rub of the green in many recent games, and that we were not quite as good a side as our results indicated. Lady luck never smiles on you for long, and in the last couple of games we've not played well and haven't had that lucky bounce of the ball that has enabled us to get the winning try. Cockers isn't a miracle worker, and we haven't gone from being a jamesmatthew team to a good one in a few months. We've made a lot of progress this season, but still have a long way to go before becoming a regular top end of the table team. The last couple of games have demonstrated this very well.

Still, going into the last 2 games of the season we have a chance of qualifying for the play-offs and big cup, and that's a much better position than most could have expected. There's a few twists and turns to come, I suspect.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:55 am

well well, the usual "its the backs", the half backs the centres, well they ain't world beaters while a couple of slightly more insightful posts suggest the game was lost at the breakdown. The breakdown wasn't good either.

Truth is for the second week in a row the team were outplayed by smarter players and to a large extent froze on the night.
Player through sequences, all very efficient but going nowhere. Yes odd half breaks by Bradbury and Mata, but there was no structure to the attack - and I don't mean the backs. A player took the ball into contact, support arrives (usually one man initially allowing Ulster to contest and slow ball - or steal it, second player far too late to have any ensure quick ball).So slow ball and repeat. And repeat. And repeat. There was no structure to try to draw defenders to the breakdown and create space wider. Just a coupe of rucks and if still have the ball throw it wide. Easily defended even a poor Ulster team, eventually turned over, miss a tackle on retreat and concede a score.

Playing by numbers like worst of Solly period.

When Edin were winning games its noticeable that quick go forward ruck ball was more the norm, creaing go forward and quicker ball. Either its a coaching issue or the players simply cant cope with a wee bit of pressure. Or both.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby dunna on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:07 am

We weren’t smart enough. Poor at retaining possession, beaten every time at the break down, wasteful kicks, little to no spark in attack, far too predictable. How long has Hodge got left on his contract? With the backs we have now he should be able to show us something. Ulster’s set piece moves killed us every time.

Scrum and a few line out steals are pretty much the only positives I took away from the match.
dunna
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:33 am

Interesting comments on ALBA from Allan Dell when asked by Hugh Dan in the first few minutes for some insight into the tactics Edinburgh would use, obviously he was a bit cagey with it, but said it was to play territory and put them under pressure and wait for a mistake! Very ironic that that was what Ulster did for the first 25 mins!

Towards the end of the game, last 7-8 mins Roddy Grant was on the pitch (with water?) and the camera pans to Cockerill talking into his microphone, I assume passing instructions on, I guess it wasn't keep within a bonus point and stop them scoring, otherwise we would have closed the game out playing a lot tighter, rather than kicking to the wings (DW) or forcing passes (GG). So I'm not sure we can blame DW for the 2 point swing.

I also noted in one of RC's interviews he had talked about getting the team "up" for games, and that it was hard to tell them every week this "was the most important game of their lives". I think we can see that on the pitch and it isn't a new Edinburgh phenomenon unfortunately! A few fresh faces will help here, and I think that's what RC is probably thinking.

Looking hard at last nite, Weirs intercept try, probably kept us in the game from 6-19 down, when 6-19 probably reflected how we had played. Against, Connacht again Weir intercept/charge down and Hardie/Fife charged downs, as said above we have maybe rode our luck recently.

Overall, we have had a good run but probably aren't consistently the 3rd best team in our conference. That said we always get "up" for the Glasgow game, so maybe all is not lost. Playing in the big boys cup next year, does worry me a little still.
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby dunna on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:05 am

adi1314 wrote:I also noted in one of RC's interviews he had talked about getting the team "up" for games, and that it was hard to tell them every week this "was the most important game of their lives". I think we can see that on the pitch and it isn't a new Edinburgh phenomenon unfortunately! A few fresh faces will help here, and I think that's what RC is probably thinking.

I was speaking to one of the injured players pre match who said they were treating this match like a cup final, really up for it and confident. Unfortunately after last weekend I wasn’t feeling the same and proved right to feel that way.
dunna
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:14 am

Can't argue with what has been said already, it just seems to many people are just turning up, and getting paid, from management down, in any place I've worked bonus is king, so lets make wages depend on results and a size 11 up the jacksy when result go the wrong way. Next weekend will be the first home game in years I've missed(yes I need help) due a diary mistake, I'll have to find some way of keeping up to date on the game, never imagined at the start of the season it would be so important. :roll:
Pitfitter

Postby Frenchy on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:38 pm

Very enjoyable game, I thought.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum