Edinburgh Vs Ulster 6/4/2018

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh Vs Ulster 6/4/2018

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Huge game, biggest for us since the Challenge Cup final in 2015? Biggest league game I can remember.

Full strength side out - for me that's Lay, Rambo, Berghan, Toolis, Gilchrist, Bradbury, Watson, Mata, SHC, VdW (Weir hasn't played enough), VdM, Dean, Bennett, Fife, Kinghorn.

For them Gilroy has been banned by the powers that be. Apparently the coach thought he'd be available for selection so it's not a happy camp. They're a real mess but I'm not sure I trust Edinburgh.

Would it not be classic if our KelvinDeaker fell out and we miss the playoffs? Really need a win.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh Vs Ulster 6/4/2018

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:06 pm

Watson out for season and summer tour. Big loss.

SHC may be back for Ulster

https://theoffsideline.com/surgery-rule ... mmer-tour/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:23 pm

Head Coach Richard Cockerill has named a revamped half-back pairing of Sam Hidalgo-Clyne and Duncan Weir ahead of tomorrow night’s pivotal Guinness PRO14 encounter with Ulster at BT Murrayfield (Friday 6 April, kick-off 7.35pm).

Their inclusion is part of six changes made to the side that faced Cardiff Blues in last weekend’s European Challenge Cup Quarter-Final.

As Edinburgh look to secure a place in the Guinness PRO14 Final Series for the first time in the club’s history, Cockerill has called on his side to rise to the occasion, and said: “We need to play as well as we can tomorrow night and do what we’ve done well up to this point.

“We’ve never qualified for the Guinness PRO14 Final Series, so we have a little bit of pressure on ourselves to get that right, so we can prove that we are capable of that.

"We’ve got to learn what that feels like and how to cope with that. The best way to do that is to experience it.

"There is no doubt that we are capable of winning these games. We just need to get it right and go back to our basics around both our physicality and mentality.

We have some expectations within the playing group. What I expect is 100% commitment and I want us to put our best game out on the field, which we have done more often than not.

An unchanged back-three sees Blair Kinghorn named at fullback alongside wingers Duhan van der Merwe and Dougie Fife.

In the midfield, Mark Bennett is joined by experienced centre Phil Burleigh, who makes his first start since January.

The inclusion of tighthead prop Simon Berghan is the only alteration to an otherwise unchanged front row, as Stuart McInally – named captain on the day – and Jordan Lay keep their places upfront.

Ben Toolis returns to the starting XV to partner Grant Gilchrist in the second row, whilst Jamie Ritchie is named in the back-row alongside Magnus Bradbury – who makes his 50th appearance for the club – and Bill Mata.

Edinburgh team to face Ulster in the Guinness PRO14 at BT Murrayfield on Friday 6 April (kick-off 7.35pm) – live on BBC ALBA.

15. Blair Kinghorn (61)

14. Dougie Fife (103)

13. Mark Bennett (8)

12. Phil Burleigh (71)

11. Duhan van der Merwe (14)

10. Duncan Weir (31)

9. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (104)

1. Jordan Lay (8)

2. Stuart McInally (116) CAPTAIN

3. Simon Berghan (45)

4. Ben Toolis (84)

5. Grant Gilchrist (116)

6. Magnus Bradbury (49)

7. Jamie Ritchie (45)

8. Bill Mata (34)

Replacements: 16. Neil Cochrane (72) 17. Rory Sutherland (62) 18. WP Nel (113) 19. Lewis Carmichael (29) 20. Cornell du Preez (101) 21. Sean Kennedy (59) 22. Jaco van der Walt (14) 23. Chris Dean (63)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Ulster

Abbey Insurance Ulster Academy prop Tom O'Toole will make his senior debut alongside Best in the front row, with Andy Warwick selected at loose-head.

In the second row, O'Toole's Academy team mate Matthew Dalton will make his seventh appearance of the season, as he is paired with Iain Henderson in the engine room.

In the back row, Matthew Rea and Nick Timoney start at blindside and openside respectively, with Jean Deysel packing down at number eight.

Behind the pack, John Cooney and Johnny McPhillips continue their half-back partnership.

Darren Cave is named at outside centre, where he will be joined in the Ulster midfield by Stuart McCloskey.

Jacob Stockdale and Louis Ludik will start on the wings, with full-back Charles Piutau rounding off the back three.

There are two more potential debutants from the bench in the form of Rainey Old Boys RFC prop Tommy O'Hagan, and Angus Curtis, another one of Ulster's Irish U20 contingent, who can slot in at fly-half or centre. Rob Herring, Rodney Ah You, Alan O'Connor and Sean Reidy provide the additional forward options, while David Shanahan and Tommy Bowe complete the backline cover.

Ulster Rugby team to play Edinburgh, Friday 6th April at BT Murrayfield, kick-off 7.35pm (live on BBC2 NI):

(15-9): C Piutau, L Ludik; D Cave, S McCloskey, J Stockdale; J McPhillips, J Cooney;
(1-8): A Warwick, R Best (Capt), T O'Toole, M Dalton, I Henderson, M Rea, N Timoney, J Deysel;
Replacements (16-23): R Herring, T O'Hagan, R Ah You, A O'Connor, S Reidy, D Shanahan, A Curtis, T Bowe.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:03 pm

No kicking, that back 3 is PaulHoniss!

Other than that we will hopefully be fine. Can see us playing a tight game again which I not sure suits us. Interestingly before the blues game SHC was talking about how Edinburgh like to throw the ball around and would be doing that last week,it's a long time since we were that sort of team.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:11 pm

Very dangerous back 3 they've got there. We need control of the game, more possession and bully them at the breakdown.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:30 pm

Think we may be stronger in the forwards with them the advantage in the backs. Two pretty close teams overall.

Gilroy and Luke Marshall both caused us problems in Belfast but are missing. Marshalls defence was really good snuffed out a good number of our attacks. Henderson comes in, a really good maul defender among other things, so we may not get as much change out of that as other matches.

But we have a big physical pack selected, I would like to see us go out really aggressive from the KO and hit the breakdowns and get SHC and Weir some front foot ball and then see what the backs can do.

I believe we have it in the squad to get the win but got to be on our game. Looking forward to it with an excited, nervous feeling not often encountered with ER matches!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:13 pm

Even with Best and Henderson, that's still one of the weakest/most inexperienced Ulster's packs I've seen in ages. If we can't boss them there, particularly given the forwards we're putting out, there's something seriously wrong.

Backs are a different story. If we hoof the ball downfield to the likes of Piutau all evening, we will get punished. Can't afford another night of brainless box-kicking.

I think we can win this but need to use/keep the heid.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Piutau hasn't done anything this year. He's out of shape and can't be bothered. It could be he turns it on in this game but Ulster fans should be more concerned about Kinghorn than we are about Piutau.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:06 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Piutau hasn't done anything this year. He's out of shape and can't be bothered. It could be he turns it on in this game but Ulster fans should be more concerned about Kinghorn than we are about Piutau.

Fine, substitute "Piutau" for "Stockdale" then. The underlying point above (i.e. not punting the ball away and inviting them to attack) remains the same.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:23 pm

Hmm so Cockers not on the forum, keep it away from their backs ffs! Scored too easily.

Looked like we are awful tense, pressure maybe getting to them again, but still in the game need some composure keep the ball and go through the phases.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:52 pm

How is that not a YC 3yards out cynical slowing of ball.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Shot ourselves in the foot time after time.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:23 pm

One of the worst examples of situation awareness you'll ever see from Duncan Weir there. That's a 2 league point swing.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:24 pm

FFS - own worst enemies as usual.
Rico
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum