Edinburgh v Scarlets 14 Apr 18, KO 15:15, TV: Sky Sports

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 14 Apr 18, KO 15:15, TV: Sky Sports

Postby Frenchy on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:01 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Highlights, ie tries, for those of unable to see it yesterday

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mnbrSkJtM-4

Toolis' does very well in the build up to Bradbury's try is very nice - took me a few viewings to figure out what went on.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:30 pm

biffer wrote:
joe soap wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:The last try was a well-worked training ground move, but is a scrum half actually allowed to join a lineout once it's been set in the way Fowles did? I'm no expert on the rules of the game, but thought that you couldn't add a player to the line once it had been set, which is in effect what we did.

you are correct. This and players leaving it early to form a maul (before the ball thrown) which is also not allowed happen every week in matches. I know we all think the scrum is a mess and refs can't cope, frankly the lineout is at times almost as much of a mess

The way I understand it the scrum half has to be two metres out when the ball is thrown but can advance after the throw. He didn't line up with the others, good bit of timing and legal imo.

Yeah that is correct. As soon as the ball is thrown the scrum half can come in
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:31 pm

Frenchy wrote:

Toolis' does very well in the build up to Bradbury's try is very nice - took me a few viewings to figure out what went on.

Nice rob on the floor followed by a Toonie flip, not bad for a big lad!

One of the things I’ve noticed in recent weeks is how much Chris Dean’s distribution has improved, it’s gone from a real weakness to a strength. He’s obviously worked hard on it, well done him.

Socino/Dean/Scott/Bennett reads like a good midfield squad to me.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Frenchy wrote:

One of the things I’ve noticed in recent weeks is how much Chris Dean’s distribution has improved, it’s gone from a real weakness to a strength. He’s obviously worked hard on it, well done him.

And Johnstone
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:54 pm

Oops :oops:
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:26 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Frenchy wrote:

I thought that Dean always had a sneaky good passing game but it's his decision making that's really improved which highlights his distribution.

In any case, a very good season. Would be slightly disappointed if he wasn't getting a fairly long look from Toonie.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:05 pm

Tichtheid wrote:

Yeah, he seems to have come on in leaps and bounds, definitely looking the part at 12 now.

[/quote] Socino/Dean/Scott/Bennett reads like a good midfield squad to me.[/quote]

I'd say that's an understatement, there's a load of talent there now. Watching Bennett zip through for his try was a good reminder of how much of a threat he can pose if you give him a wee gap. Hopefully his injury is behind him now and with a rest and a good pre-season, he will be back to his top, imperious form next term. What a selection headache if these four are all on form at the same time - nice problem to have!
royc
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:52 am

Very enjoyable afternoon in the sun. We played some really good rugby at times and while we switched off for 10-15 mins at the end of the first half after scoring the 4 tries, it was pleasing to see the intensity back for the second half. Defence looked comfortable for the most part and nice to see some moves being run in attack.

Bradbury and McInally carried very well as did Ritchie, Toolis and Dean. Dell although blowing pretty quickly is really mobile about the park, great to have him back

VDM – defenders look scared every time he got the ball attracting 2 or 3 players

VDW looked solid I don’t think he made any mistakes and continues to work well with Dean and Johnstone in what is a nicely balanced midfield.

Cochranes throw for Fowles try was absolutely on the money, no target to aim for just popped into the gap. Crosbies try really nicely worked as well.

After the previous few seasons it is nice to be able to go along and really enjoy the match rather than feel it is a device of torture.

EDIT: Just saw this on the ER match review

"A wild pass in the Scarlets midfield gave Duncan Weir the opportunity to sprint in from 50 metres out, but the stand-off unselfishly offloaded to Mark Bennet, who cut through the final defenders with a well calculated line to score his side’s seventh try of the contest"

ER spin machine in action, "unselfishly offloaded" Haha there is no way those little legs had the speed to make the line :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:44 pm

biffer wrote:The way I understand it the scrum half has to be two metres out when the ball is thrown but can advance after the throw. He didn't line up with the others, good bit of timing and legal imo.

watched recording last night, agree with you, Fowles absolutely fine as ball has clearly left Cochrane's hand. Dean on the other hand has clearly encroached the 10m :lol:
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:47 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:VDM – defenders look scared every time he got the ball attracting 2 or 3 players

he is a scary and dangerous and suprisingly quick unit ball in hand. Still think he runs up blind alleys a bit - he actually managed to run into touch this week - and doesn't look too work hard enough getting back or turning. First should be easily rectified, turning another matter
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Jamie Lyall just tweeted some VDM stats

9 tries in 16 Matches
91 carriers for 797m
17 clean breaks
65 defenders beaten

Not bad given he did not play until into the new year I think it.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:11 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Jamie Lyall just tweeted some VDM stats

9 tries in 16 Matches
91 carriers for 797m
17 clean breaks
65 defenders beaten

End of November v the Cheetahs I think. Quite an impact since! I'm impressed the way he makes metres in heavy traffic by sitting people down. Saw him come into the line a few times on Saturday which was also good to see.

Like Visser, he has areas of his game to work on but the nose for the try line and athletic genes can't be coached, the rest can. Edinburgh couldn't afford to sign the finished article, so VDM is the best case scenario. With a full pre-season next year he could be fighting it out with his Weegies namesake, Stockdale et al for the top scorer award...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:12 pm

9 tries in 16 Matches
91 carriers for 797m
17 clean breaks
65 defenders beaten

207m on Saturday
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 pm

New Gunner wrote:[
End of November v the Cheetahs I think. Quite an impact since!

You win tonight's quiz prize, his first game was indeed 24 November v Cheetahs.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:51 am

New Gunner wrote:

9 tries in 16 Matches
91 carriers for 797m
17 clean breaks
65 defenders beaten

End of November v the Cheetahs I think. Quite an impact since! I'm impressed the way he makes metres in heavy traffic by sitting people down. Saw him come into the line a few times on Saturday which was also good to see.

Like Visser, he has areas of his game to work on but the nose for the try line and athletic genes can't be coached, the rest can. Edinburgh couldn't afford to sign the finished article, so VDM is the best case scenario. With a full pre-season next year he could be fighting it out with his Weegies namesake, Stockdale et al for the top scorer award...

And The King of course....

Visser is a good comparison. DVDM has a similar ability to score from over 50 yards. He needs to develop the same knack as Visser at being on the end of 2m run ins. And of course fielding kicks, kicking etc

Fife is doing brilliantly on the other wing but it would be great to get Graham or Hoyland really motoring ie challenging for Scotland first pick.
macdone
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum