Edinburgh v Scarlets 14 Apr 18, KO 15:15, TV: Sky Sports

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Scarlets 14 Apr 18, KO 15:15, TV: Sky Sports

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:28 pm

Tichtheid wrote:There will be more dosh available with the qualification for the play offs and the Big Cup.

Yes but we don’t just write a blank cheque
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:31 pm

SHC wanted paid as a 9 who puts in that performance every week as opposed to once a season as he's managed.

Is the best 9 at the club but if he's pricing himself out then fair dues he's not getting a contract.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:27 am

The Chiel wrote:Good performance, although all caveats about Scarlets reserves apply. I do like DVDM.

Did my eyes deceive me, or was Chris Dean lifted to win a lineout around the 20 minute mark ? The Fowles sneak ( and after last weeks' pelters, good on him ) at the end I understood as a planned move - shades of Dunbar.

But Chris Dean as an orthodox jumper ? Strange times . . . . :eek:

First home game I have missed in ages, and also managed to forget to set Sky so missed the first 4 tries and therefore this.

However, Dean played all his schools rugby as an No 8 so he's not done it for a while but has been a line out jumper.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:34 am

It was a very entertaining game, and what a pleasure to be watching in warm sunshine at last. We played some nice rugby, and scored a load of tries, so there's a lot to be positive about. The major concern for me was how little possession we had in the second half. Ok, we scored tries, but they mostly came from turning over Scarlets possession when they were on the attack. Given the players they were missing, I'd have expected us to have kept the ball better and played much more of the game in their half.

The last try was a well-worked training ground move, but is a scrum half actually allowed to join a lineout once it's been set in the way Fowles did? I'm no expert on the rules of the game, but thought that you couldn't add a player to the line once it had been set, which is in effect what we did.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:04 am

The Chiel wrote:Good performance, although all caveats about Scarlets reserves apply. I do like DVDM.

Did my eyes deceive me, or was Chris Dean lifted to win a lineout around the 20 minute mark ? The Fowles sneak ( and after last weeks' pelters, good on him ) at the end I understood as a planned move - shades of Dunbar.

Yeah Dean was in the lineout. Think CdP lined up in backs and took a crash ball from 10 I think.

Good win.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:23 am

BigD163 wrote:

Yeah Dean was in the lineout. Think CdP lined up in backs and took a crash ball from 10 I think.

Good win.

This is part of the trouble within rugby today...well organised defences are very hard to break down. At least someone in the Edinburgh coaching team is thinking of different ways of mixing it up to make the breaks.
KenMavor
International

Postby joe soap on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:19 am

was slightly nervous about that beforehand :oops:

slight wobble after 4 tries up but got back on the horse
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:25 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:SHC wanted paid as a 9 who puts in that performance every week as opposed to once a season as he's managed.

Is the best 9 at the club but if he's pricing himself out then fair dues he's not getting a contract.

nail on head. A great performance against a callow Scarlets team is great to watch but not the week in week out high level needed against better teams with fewer opportunities. He has the ability but does not produce it as needed. And to think someone suggested Weir was playing for a contract!
I said early season that SHC had an opinion of his skill and ability which was beyond the reality of his form. Its also clear he has an idea of his value which was way beyond Edinburgh's. It wasn't close. He's been allowed to move and rightly so.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:28 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:The last try was a well-worked training ground move, but is a scrum half actually allowed to join a lineout once it's been set in the way Fowles did? I'm no expert on the rules of the game, but thought that you couldn't add a player to the line once it had been set, which is in effect what we did.

you are correct. This and players leaving it early to form a maul (before the ball thrown) which is also not allowed happen every week in matches. I know we all think the scrum is a mess and refs can't cope, frankly the lineout is at times almost as much of a mess
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:29 am

KenMavor wrote:. At least someone in the Edinburgh coaching team is thinking of different ways of mixing it up to make the breaks.

Indeed, but what was the point of revealing that move at that point in that match? better kept up the sleeve for the 1872?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:43 am

Highlights, ie tries, for those of unable to see it yesterday

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mnbrSkJtM-4
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:55 am

Weegie wrote:
However, Dean played all his schools rugby as an No 8 so he's not done it for a while but has been a line out jumper.

Ta - didn't know that.
I do agree with the post about different ways of mixing it up, and also to an extent the one about why show it yesterday. However I assume the plan is to show Dean as a jumper when he joins the lineout - and then not use him . . . . . :evil: :lol:
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:59 am

joe soap wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:The last try was a well-worked training ground move, but is a scrum half actually allowed to join a lineout once it's been set in the way Fowles did? I'm no expert on the rules of the game, but thought that you couldn't add a player to the line once it had been set, which is in effect what we did.

you are correct. This and players leaving it early to form a maul (before the ball thrown) which is also not allowed happen every week in matches. I know we all think the scrum is a mess and refs can't cope, frankly the lineout is at times almost as much of a mess

The way I understand it the scrum half has to be two metres out when the ball is thrown but can advance after the throw. He didn't line up with the others, good bit of timing and legal imo.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:02 am

Another way to look at the lineout move is that they can now bluff with it and do something else, or even do the same move depending on how the opposition are lining up in defence - their jumpers and lifters are always going to follow ours in a short lineout.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:21 am

I'd love to see us do this against the Weegies:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nD7GX7uXsmM
Rico
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum