Caullie Lug 2017/18

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Caullie Lug 2017/18

Postby bignose on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:11 pm

Wottie wrote:Certainly wouldn't object if Cochrane got it, but he's only been here c. 4 years and we probably wouldn't be considering him if he wasn't retiring.

Speak for yourself. I thought he was worth it last season too. He never gives less than his all on the pitch and has been consistent in that throughout his time with us. He's a leader on the pitch and deserves the recognition IMO.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:27 pm

Bit embarrassed I missed Cochrane off my initial list, a very worthy nominee.

I actually agree with Wotties comments that if he was not retiring we may not have voted for him but only because his efforts, leadership and consistency of performance are perhaps taken a little for granted his pending retirement serving to highlight what we are going to lose. McInally and Ford away with Scotland no problem we have Cochrane. Captains away/injured Cochrane leads the team and has done so through some pretty tough times.

He is going to be missed. Committed and consistent yet under the radar exactly what I think the lug should be for. Gets my vote.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:32 pm

bignose wrote:
Wottie wrote:Certainly wouldn't object if Cochrane got it, but he's only been here c. 4 years and we probably wouldn't be considering him if he wasn't retiring.

Speak for yourself. I thought he was worth it last season too. He never gives less than his all on the pitch and has been consistent in that throughout his time with us. He's a leader on the pitch and deserves the recognition IMO.

I always do Bignose. Wasn't professing to speak for or on behalf of you or anyone else on here. TFG has articulated nicely the point I was making and as I said, I would have no objection to Cochrane picking it up this year. I just think Rambo meets the specification a little easier!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:36 pm

Wottie wrote:Rambo for me. He has had a spectacular season for ER and Scotland. Been with the club since 2009, natural leader and has always given his all, be that as an undersized yet effective ball carrying 8, or in his current position at hooker. Would have him as skipper for next season, even with Barclay arriving!

Certainly wouldn't object if Cochrane got it, but he's only been here c. 4 years and we probably wouldn't be considering him if he wasn't retiring.

Bresler was only here three years and he won it.

Toolis has only been here five and one of those was academt
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Wottie wrote:Rambo for me. He has had a spectacular season for ER and Scotland. Been with the club since 2009, natural leader and has always given his all, be that as an undersized yet effective ball carrying 8, or in his current position at hooker. Would have him as skipper for next season, even with Barclay arriving!

Certainly wouldn't object if Cochrane got it, but he's only been here c. 4 years and we probably wouldn't be considering him if he wasn't retiring.

When Rambo was not exactly flying it at hooker, Cochrane was reliability personified. Definitively picked up so much from Cochrane including how to strike the ball (he certainly didn't learn it from a certain other hooker).
Cochrane has stepped in and stepped up when many bigger names hid on the park. A proper professional and very lucky to have had him at Edinburgh.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:35 pm

Cochrane it is
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:16 am

Good choice, not flashy but committed. Exactly what it is for.

I assume the club has a player of the year too?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Thu May 10, 2018 8:00 pm

Caullie Lug 2013/14
The following are the nominated players:
Dave Denton
Dougie Fife
Ross Ford
Roddy Grant - Winner
Willem Nel
Cornell du Preez
Greg Tonks

Caullie Lug Award 14/15
The nominations for this year’s award are:
Ross Ford - Winner
Alasdair Dickinson

Caullie Lug 2015/16
Anton Bresler - Winner
Couldn’t find other nominees but I know there were others

Caullie Lug 2016/17
The official nominations are :
Alasdair Dickinson
Tom Brown
Hamish Watson - Winner
WP Nel

Caullie Lug 2017/18
Official Nominations ???
Neil Cochrane - Winner
See 2017/18 Awards
http://www.edinburghgunners.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7383
Neil Cochrane ➡️ Caullie lug

I don't disagree with the result, but..

When/where/how often were we meant to vote comrade
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri May 11, 2018 10:59 am

Looks like the Club did it. Not sure the Supporters Club had anything to do with this year's award. Pretty sure that has been the case since, and including, the year Bresler won it. It's probably best this way as otherwise the Club would have to speak to it's supporter's club. A ridiculous concept! :roll:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GunnerRob on Fri May 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Yeah, I thought I just missed the vote somewhere!
Is there any communication between the supporters club and Edinburgh Rugby? It might be useful if we're looking to change venue at some point :eek:
GunnerRob
International

Postby Cammo Gunner on Fri May 11, 2018 6:19 pm

Wottie wrote:Looks like the Club did it. Not sure the Supporters Club had anything to do with this year's award. Pretty sure that has been the case since, and including, the year Bresler won it. It's probably best this way as otherwise the Club would have to speak to it's supporter's club. A ridiculous concept! :roll:

Bresler was voted by supporters as was Watson...

As I recall The Caullie Lug award is presented to the player who has shown commitment and service to the Club and was the Supporters Club player's award (I'm sure that the committee can confirm this). The club run their own awards & I don't understand why this appears to have been hijacked.

A response from the committee would be appreciated.
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby pedro52 on Sat May 12, 2018 11:19 am

The year Anton won ER ran the vote and initially put up that is was 'player of the season' until the Supporters Club intervened and got the wording changed. We also complained and asked why ER had taken this over. It was agreed that the Supporters Club would take it back and we ran it last season when Hamish won. This year due to a number of factors ER appeared to make the decision themselves. I was in the bar after the Glasgow game and was asked to make the presentation to Neil Cochrane. This was the first I knew of either it happening or the winner. I have no issue with the winner but the way ER conducted the whole process including making the presentation in front of a few fans and NO PLAYERS sums up their attitude to loyal supporters.
Unfortunately this is only one of a number of issues the Supporters Club have with ER this season.
pedro52
International

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat May 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Hmm, I think there needs to be an open discussion on this. It would appear the Glasgow supporters club have a very good relationship which is mutually beneficial. We need to try and replicate that.

I can see no reason why ER would not want that outcome too, it is possibly a misunderstanding. This'll may be a catalyst to be able to go and try to make a case for a better relationship?

Good luck, not easy running clubs like this.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum