Opponents onW/e of 4/5th May

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Opponents onW/e of 4/5th May

Postby liveinhope on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:36 pm

Looks like irrespective of any combination of results on Saturday we will have a fixture the following weekend (presumably on Friday night-4th May-or on Saturday 5th May.
The three options appear (to me) to be:

2nd Place (if Scarlets lose without a BP and we get at least a BP on Saturday or Scarlets get a BP and we either draw against Glasgow or get two BP's or win of course )- we will play the Cheetahs at home. And of course automatically qualified for the Champions Cup.

3rd Place (if either Ulster fail to get a BP win or we get at least a point against Glasgow-and Scarlets also finish above us)-we will then play Munster away (but still have automatically qualified for the Champions Cup).

4th place (if Ulster get a BP win at Munster and we lose to Glasgow and don't get a try or 7 point margin BP)-we will be out of the knockout stages but will play the Ospreys at home for the last remaining Champions CUP place.

Starting to look more complicated than I first thought so delighted if anyone else agrees/points out if some of this is wrong!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Re: Opponents onW/e of 4/5th May

Postby Wottie on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:54 pm

BP win for us against Glasgow will see us finish 2nd unless Scarlets also get a BP win v Dragons. Non-BP win for us will require Scarlets to lose or draw for us to finish 2nd. In a nutshell, the best way to look at things for 2nd place is that we need to secure at least a point more than the Scarlets do on Saturday and we will finish 2nd (Gary IPA has pointed out that we are ahead of Scarlets in the event of equal league points as we have won more games than them).

On 3rd place, it's a case of getting a point from Glasgow game to be sure of 3rd, but if Ulster don't get a try BP win at Munster, we can take nothing from Glasgow game and we will qualify for playoffs in 3rd.

We will know exactly what we need to get before we kick off. That can be a blessing or an added pressure if it starts messing with your head and plan!

No point in looking at 4th. Not going to happen :wink:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:11 pm

Any points at all, minimum 3rd.
More points than Scarlets, 2nd.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Hil on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:30 pm

liveinhope wrote:Looks like irrespective of any combination of results on Saturday we will have a fixture the following weekend (presumably on Friday night-4th May-or on Saturday 5th May.
The three options appear (to me) to be:

4th place (if Ulster get a BP win at Munster and we lose to Glasgow and don't get a try or 7 point margin BP)-we will be out of the knockout stages but will play the Ospreys at home for the last remaining Champions CUP place.

Starting to look more complicated than I first thought so delighted if anyone else agrees/points out if some of this is wrong!

I believe the Champions Cup play-off, if the worst happens and we're 4th, won't be until 18/19/20 May not 4/5 May.
Slam the drop of victory
Hil
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:37 pm

biffer wrote:Any points at all, minimum 3rd.

Yup, that's how a non touch typist would probably do it Biffer! :lol:
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:04 pm

Wottie wrote:

Yup, that's how a non touch typist would probably do it Biffer! :lol:

A really good bullshitter can also cut through it when required :D
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Sir, you are too modest "really good", I think of you are the king of bullshitters, sitting atop a mountain of SteveWalsh waving a SteveWalsh stick!

:lol: :lol:
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:50 pm

Thanks-very concise. Could have saved myself about 500 words!
Seems crazy that clubs/players have to wait three weeks for the 7th place play-off! Can see no possible reason to delay beyond 4/5th May .Of course as pointed out above won't involve Edinburgh anyway.....!
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:57 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Sir, you are too modest "really good", I think of you are the king of bullshitters, sitting atop a mountain of SteveWalsh waving a SteveWalsh stick!

:lol: :lol:

Don’t you go insulting my art form.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Fanscene on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:31 pm

I'm not getting ahead of myself....

But how do the SFs work out. I know Leinster and Glasgow will have home draws, but who do they play.

My logic!!!!! thinks if we finish 3rd the winner of our game would play Leinster. If we finish 2nd it'll be Glasgow.

That would mean if seedings went to plan it would be 1st (A) v 2nd (B) and 2nd (A) v 1st (B).

Couldn't find anything on PRO-14 website, but i don't find it very user friendly so gave up rather quickly :lol: :lol:
Fanscene
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 pm

Cheetahs at home please.
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:40 pm

Fanscene wrote:I'm not getting ahead of myself....

But how do the SFs work out. I know Leinster and Glasgow will have home draws, but who do they play.

My logic!!!!! thinks if we finish 3rd the winner of our game would play Leinster. If we finish 2nd it'll be Glasgow.

That would mean if seedings went to plan it would be 1st (A) v 2nd (B) and 2nd (A) v 1st (B).

Couldn't find anything on PRO-14 website, but i don't find it very user friendly so gave up rather quickly :lol: :lol:

First you have the Quarters, which involve the 2nd and 3rd-placed teams in each Conference.

2nd in A (Munster) plays 3rd in B (Embra, Scarlets or Ulster), while 2nd in B (again Scarlets or maybe Embra or Ulster) plays 3rd in A (Benetton, Cheetahs or Cardiff).

In the Semis, the Conf B winners, Leinster, play the winner of the first Quarter final (Munster v Scarlets/Embra/Ulster), the Conf A winners, Glasgow, play the winner of the 2nd Quarter final (Benetton/Cheetahs/Cardiff v Scarlets/Embra/Ulster).

It sounds more complicated than it is.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby K-Pac on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:11 am

If we finish 3rd in our conference, we play Munster in the QF, beat them we play Leinster in the SF, beat them we could meet the Weeg in the final.

If we finish 2nd we can potentially meet the Weeg in the SF.

Could there potentially be a 4th match for the 1872 Cup? what do you think the SRU might say to that?

Where is the Final match to be played? I guess Dublin because it seems every time there is a revision to the league format/competition the final is played in Dublin!!
Check Check Chamone!
K-Pac
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:25 am

Royc, Benetton are in our Conference and cannot catch Ulster for 3rd. K-pac, yup, D4 demonstrate they are still in charge by having the final at the Aviva for the 2nd year running.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:51 am

Wottie wrote:Royc, Benetton are in our Conference and cannot catch Ulster for 3rd. K-pac, yup, D4 demonstrate they are still in charge by having the final at the Aviva for the 2nd year running.

Nobody else bid for the final this year.
biffer
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum