Champions Cup 18/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Champions Cup 18/19

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 am

Wilson and Itoje competing for most dislikeable player on the pitch, Itoje just ahead.

That is a big call when Farrell is on the pitch :)

Caught up with the match late last night.
What a difference Kebble has made to the weeg scrum, did not notice him doing a huge amount about the park but a bit of solidity in the scrum is huge. Huw Jones looks like he is finding some club form at last as well

Few rough/missed calls against Glasgow and both sides got away with far too much at the breakdown, Itoje's torpedoing into rucks has to be blown up.

Thought Sarries defence for the most part completely nullified the Glasgow backline and Glasgow looked like they did not have a plan B in the backs or enough forward power to really make inroads up front.

Some poor game management and decision making not to take the 3 and be in LBP range which, much as ours may well serve us well, not picking one up may be costly to Glasgow come the end of the group stages.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:50 am

anyone who was actually at the game care to comment? I have no idea how many supporters made it over-particularly those on the vteam charter?
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Best result for us in the Newcastle vs Montpellier game? A win for Newcastle with no bonus points for either side?
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:13 pm

Well done Newcastle ( left it late to pile over in the 89th minute though!) Tough set of hombres there so all set for a fascinating double header in December.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Toulon 38 Montpellier 28 opens up the group a bit more for us.

Glasgow were awesome today too.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Toulon 38 Montpellier 28 opens up the group a bit more for us.

A win for us next week would be a real fillip

It was a very good performance from Glasgow, but Lyon haven't been good this season, a French fan on another forum was really quite scathing of them, saying that even though they are lying fourth in the T14, it flatters them and they are a long way behind the three in front of them and Racing behimd them in terms of quality

However, you can only beat what's in front you etc, and Glasgow looked very confident and competent from the off.
I wish we had that sort of ability from 9-13
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:02 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Toulon 38 Montpellier 28 opens up the group a bit more for us.

It was a very good performance from Glasgow, but Lyon haven't been good this season, a French fan on another forum was really quite scathing of them, saying that even though they are lying fourth in the T14, it flatters them and they are a long way behind the three in front of them and Racing behimd them in terms of quality

However, you can only beat what's in front you etc, and Glasgow looked very confident and competent from the off.

You do Scott and Bennett a disservice
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:26 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
You do Scott and Bennett a disservice

I don't mean to, but we don't have them available at the moment.

I like them and Dean too, but we are lacking in terms of attacking ability, or maybe intention.
You just know Glasgow are going to break the line several times during the game - imagine what our back three could do on the back of the breaks Grigg makes
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Yes that win for Toulon was probably in our favour-and the two tries by Nagusa in the last 3/4 minutes for a try BP possibly ensured that Montpellier stay interested in the return game next week.
Sounded like there is a chance Scott be available next week.Would certainly be good to see him lining up with Dean as they looked a potent combination against Toulouse.
And anyone know if Newcastle are expecting any of their injured tightheads to cover for next Sunday? It would be absurd if they again have to start with only 22 players.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby monkey on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:29 am

Tichtheid wrote:

Lyon are undefeated at home in the top fourteen, including a fifty-something to thirteen thumping of Montpellier. They aren’t a flashy side tho.
monkey
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:37 am

monkey wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

Lyon are undefeated at home in the top fourteen, including a fifty-something to thirteen thumping of Montpellier. They aren’t a flashy side tho.

Was really impressive how Glasgow just did a job on them. Not often you go to France and beat up a pack the way Glasgow did. Kebble outstanding, J Gray leaves a lot to be desired for Scotland but has had a great campaign at club level, Harley looks a good second row and Ashe really is delivering now fit.

Word for Turner too. Not good enough for Solly's insane no young player policy is excelling for Glasgow. As we talk about Ford's powers declining it's a kick in the teeth to see Turner perform as well as he is for Glasgow.

Also if Bennett wants to be considered as good a player as Grigg when he is fit he needs to start showing it. Grigg and Jones are much better options at 13 than Bennett now.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:32 am

monkey wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

Don't shoot the messenger, the french guy I was taking to reckons Lyon are pish and won't be anywhere near the top end of the table at the end of the season. I have no real opinion on the matter other what I've already said

Lyon have lost to Cardiff and Glasgow in Lyon and to Sarries away, they won't be bothering too much more with the Heineken Cup this season

Anyone who watches French rugby takes a home record in the T14 with a pinch of salt
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby monkey on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:33 am

Tichtheid wrote:
monkey wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

Don't shoot the messenger, the french guy I was taking to reckons Lyon are pish and won't be anywhere near the top end of the table at the end of the season. I have no real opinion on the matter other what I've already said

Lyon have lost to Cardiff and Glasgow in Lyon and to Sarries away, they won't be bothering too much more with the Heineken Cup this season

Anyone who watches French rugby takes a home record in the T14 with a pinch of salt

Yup, and it would certainly be handy if they didn’t turn up next week.

The old steretype of French sides not bothering when they go on the road in the top fourteen doesn’t really hold up anymore. There aren’t many sides undefeated at home in the top fourteen this season. Also seems weird to suggest their league position flatters them when they’ve already gone to clermont, racing and La Rochelle.
monkey
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:07 am

The racing game was their only away win of the season so far, and Racing are below Lyon in the table, they lost to those other two sides.
Glasgow will beat Lyon quite comfortably next week, I’ll be surprised if it isn’t a five pointer. The away game to Sarries is going to be tough, but not impossible, I’m assuming you’ll beat Cardiff again.
Kebble has made a huge difference to the Weedge, he plays a bit close to the edge but he has been terrific.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby monkey on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:06 pm

In just meant they've already gone away to some of the strongest sides. Didn't mean to imply they'd won there!

Yeah, we really need to get the most we can next week. Hope we don't end up regretting the decision to take a LBP against Saracens in round one tho :(
monkey
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum