Champions Cup 18/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Champions Cup 18/19

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:59 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Handicap has Sarries by 16pts

Not very generous
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:02 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Handicap has Sarries by 16pts

Not very generous

Will see how much they change following our match
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:07 pm

If...

...results today go as expected.

...we will be 4th seeds playing Munster at home.

...Glasgow will be 8th seeds platinum Sarries away.

...we beat Munster and Sarries bear Glasgow.

That will mean a home country semi-final, but neutral venue, of Sarries vs Edinburgh. Presumably at Twickers.

However, in the event that’s Glasgow won the the QF, it would be an all-Scottish semi-final. But because they were the lower ranked team then they would have “home country” priority, but it’s the same one. However, you can imagine the arguments that would be made to hold the game in Glasgow. Even though BTM would be the logical venue AND the continuation of the football season meaning the only reasonable alternative would likely be Hampdung.

Admittedly, an unlikely scenario, but stranger things have happened.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:30 pm

Ok as you say unlikely,but..haven't they changed the rule this year and reveted back to home country advantage for SF being to the higher seeded of the two QF winners?
If so and in your scenario where would Edinburgh play as they couldn't use Murrayfield (whether against Glasgow or anyone else)?
And by same token if Glasgow win today and top pool can they play QF at Scotstoun-aren't there rules about minimum capacity for QF'f (15k??) Double-header at M'Field?
Ok..think I need a lie down after allt the excitement...
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Far too complicated for a Saturday morning? head banging and a bad taste in my mouth, but it was worth it, bar lunch calling, will consider the options tomorrow or so.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:26 pm

liveinhope wrote:Ok as you say unlikely,but..haven't they changed the rule this year and reveted back to home country advantage for SF being to the higher seeded of the two QF winners?
If so and in your scenario where would Edinburgh play as they couldn't use Murrayfield (whether against Glasgow or anyone else)?
And by same token if Glasgow win today and top pool can they play QF at Scotstoun-aren't there rules about minimum capacity for QF'f (15k??) Double-header at M'Field?
Ok..think I need a lie down after allt the excitement...

They have, but they play fast and loose with the rules when it suits them.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:46 pm

Yep:

The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, and the highest-ranked clubs from the pool stage will have home country advantage in their respective semi-final matches.

Likely we’ll be away to Saracens or Leinster in semi. Would Leinster be allowed to play at the Aviva though, where they play some home games, or would they be moved to Thomond or Ravenhill?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:11 pm

Settling down to watch the game from Thomond Park, check out possibly opposition.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:00 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:Settling down to watch the game from Thomond Park, check out possibly opposition.

Based on the evidence so far, I'd much rather play Exeter. Sure Henry would love their total inability to deal with box kicks.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:26 pm

Rico wrote:
Pitfitter446 wrote:Settling down to watch the game from Thomond Park, check out possibly opposition.

Based on the evidence so far, I'd much rather play Exeter. Sure Henry would love their total inability to deal with box kicks.

Me too, and think our pack would monster them all over the park.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:09 pm

Pitfitter446 wrote:
Rico wrote:

Me too, and think our pack would monster them all over the park.

Otoh, we have unfinished business with Munster, I’d love to take them on at full strength at Murrayfield in a Euro knockout game
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:31 pm

If it's Munster our coffers will be swelled, as they will bring a big support. I'd prefer we weren't playing a Pro14 side, just for variety's sake, but it should be a great occasion if it's Munster coming to Murrayfield.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:34 pm

What’s sad is the outcome of the match will likely be down to the officials who are appointed
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:51 pm

GaryIPA wrote:What’s sad is the outcome of the match will likely be down to the officials who are appointed

What's the chances it's going to be O'wens?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:33 pm

New Gunner wrote:Yep:

The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, and the highest-ranked clubs from the pool stage will have home country advantage in their respective semi-final matches.

Likely we’ll be away to Saracens or Leinster in semi. Would Leinster be allowed to play at the Aviva though, where they play some home games, or would they be moved to Thomond or Ravenhill?

If memory serves me correctly, Leinster's official home ground is the RDS so they get away with playing "neutral" games at the Aviva, even though that's where they play all their big games anyway. Pretty sure that's what happened last year anyway.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum