Champions Cup 18/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Champions Cup 18/19

Postby BigD163 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:20 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I wish we had that sort of ability from 9-13

If we had the last Scotlands backs coach rather than his predecessor I think our 9-13 would be miles ahead of where they are now.

There is a case that could be made for Jason O'Halloran is the best coach employed by the SRU. Before VC got the sack the Scotland attacking patterns and backline were coming on well. And the current Glasgow backs are developing well under him.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:53 pm

Just been messing around with some of the permutations for the Champions Cup. If Munster lose one of their remaining games and Edinburgh beat Montpellier then you would almost certainly get a home QF as 4th seeds.

If Glasgow slot in as 8th seeds they would be in the same side of the draw. Brushing over the fact that the Warriors would then need to win away v Racing or Saracens(!) that would give the prospect of an all-Scottish semi-final.

Edinburgh would have home country advantage but couldn't play at their home ground - so if this massive confluence of events comes together could we have Edinburgh hosting the Warriors in the east end of Glasgow at Parkhead for a Champions Cup semi-final?!? :mrgreen:
disco
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:43 am

Amusing possibilities!
Presume Disco means "in a semi-final" not "for a semi-final"?
Could Edinburgh use Murrayfield after this season for Euro semis as strictly not their home ground once mini-Murrayfield opens for play? (nice problem to have that would be!)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:50 am

liveinhope wrote:Amusing possibilities!
Presume Disco means "in a semi-final" not "for a semi-final"?
Could Edinburgh use Murrayfield after this season for Euro semis as strictly not their home ground once mini-Murrayfield opens for play? (nice problem to have that would be!)

Yes
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:24 pm

Slightly off topic but a strong montpellier team beaten at home by lyon. 14-25
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:12 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Slightly off topic but a strong montpellier team beaten at home by lyon. 14-25

Completely on topic I would say, and Toulon lost again away at Racing. They are 11th on just 24 points (5 wins from 14) and won’t be in CC next season unless they get their fingers out in the league pronto. Hopefully we will be playing the shags next Saturday with a victory for the travelling faithful.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:13 pm

Glasgow stuttering a bit first half and into a strong wind second half. Some good play but just not clicking like it was early season. Think they will still get BP win but if selecting on form Townsend has a few decisions to make for the 6N.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:12 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:
You do Scott and Bennett a disservice

I don't mean to, but we don't have them available at the moment.

I like them and Dean too, but we are lacking in terms of attacking ability, or maybe intention.
You just know Glasgow are going to break the line several times during the game - imagine what our back three could do on the back of the breaks Grigg makes

Even more so today
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:39 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:
You do Scott and Bennett a disservice

I don't mean to, but we don't have them available at the moment.

I like them and Dean too, but we are lacking in terms of attacking ability, or maybe intention.
You just know Glasgow are going to break the line several times during the game - imagine what our back three could do on the back of the breaks Grigg makes

Even more so today

As a neutral based in Aberdeen this Scotland team just does not pick itself along the lines of Glasgow backs and Edinburgh forwards......are there ANY nailed on starters? Hogg...........em......maybe Gray.......maybe Maitland...maybe McInally...Nel......Laidlaw...Russell......

Are we finally starting to see 2/3 options on each position with a different style of play being brought by each individual? Some of the old guard should be looking over their shoulders these days.

A real headache for Toonie....
KenMavor
International

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 pm

KenMavor wrote:As a neutral based in Aberdeen this Scotland team just does not pick itself along the lines of Glasgow backs and Edinburgh forwards......are there ANY nailed on starters? Hogg...........em......maybe Gray.......maybe Maitland...maybe McInally...Nel......Laidlaw...Russell......

Are we finally starting to see 2/3 options on each position with a different style of play being brought by each individual? Some of the old guard should be looking over their shoulders these days.

A real headache for Toonie....

For my money the nailed on players right now are McInally, Nel, Gilchrist, Watson, Laidlaw, Russell, Maitland and Hogg
Gray is underpressure from Toolis and Skinner and the Blindside spot, for me, goes to Ritchie. Pyrgos must have put his name into the hat, but I like George Horne as he offers something completley different from the bench.
Edinburgh's centres have improved beyond measure in recent weeks but imo games like Dragons away are still too recent to have them ahead of Jones, Dunbar, Johnson, Grigg, Harris, McGuigan or even McDowall.

The number 14 jersey is very much up for grabs, Seymour played well today, it's a nice problem to have, to pick between him, Graham, Kinghorn, Harris and McGuigan.
...and also to know that should anything happen to Hogg or Maitland we have that calibre of replacement, so yeah I agree we are finally building a bit of depth.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:47 pm

Dunbar is done. I've seen the odd suggestion he should move along the M8 and that would be a horrible bit of business. He has lost all his lateral speed which is especially noticeable in his defence as was shown in the AIs.

Grigg is a good solid club player and no more than that. JJs performance yesterday was at worst equal to anything he's shown in Europe.

Jones, Johnson and Horne should be then only definites for the squad.

Edinburgh are flying at the moment and the players deserve recognition of that over Townsend favourites. There should be no doubting GG as a starting lock with Toolis (and Skinnerl challenging and there are strong arguments for Ritchie and Graham starting.

There is a good case for as many as 7 or 8 Edinburgh players starting v Italy.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Prophet of doom warning

Is there a scenario where neither Edinburgh or Glasgow qualify?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:53 pm

I think there is but it would take a run of unlikely results.

Getting greedy but a BP vs Toulon would have made a bit difference.

Id like to think we can get at least a BP out of this game on Friday. I think we can win, but I also think we cold lose by 30 if they hit their straps and we fall short of our best.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:38 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Prophet of doom warning

Is there a scenario where neither Edinburgh or Glasgow qualify?

No. Pool 2 runners up maximum points are 18. Both Edinburgh and Glasgow will finish ahead of them even with defeats in Round 6. Means at worst the Scottish sides finish seeded 8th and 9th with only the 9th-placed side missing out.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 pm

Can anyone confirm for definite if the Peter Allan who is an RFU referee (and who will be assistant ref for Edinburgh's game on Friday) is former Watsonians player and SRU match official Peter Allan or just some fella with the same name?
disco
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum