2017/18 Awards

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

2017/18 Awards

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue May 08, 2018 8:49 pm

Player of the Season ➡️ Stuart McInally
Best Trainer ➡️ Fraser McKenzie
Best Newcomer ➡️ Duhan van der Merwe
Young Player of the Season ➡️ Luke Crosbie
Most Improved ➡️ Blair Kinghorn
Player's Player of the Season ➡️ Blair Kinghorn

Neil Cochrane ➡️ Caullie lug
Try of the season➡️Stuart McInally v Zebre

Tweeted by ER
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: 2017/18 Awards

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed May 09, 2018 11:10 am

Hard to argue with any of them

My only comment would be that Galsgow seem to make more of their awards and involve the fans a bit more with them choosing some winners, might have been try of the season. Although there is the cauli lug.

I have maybe just missed it but it was a chance to make a bit of a song and dance about the team and the steps forward.

Crosbie did have a photo up on twitter, he apparently had a knee brace on but for some reason I didn't notice that. :eek:
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Thu May 10, 2018 3:12 pm

It’s not surprising as Edinburgh Rugby have had little engagement with supporters for some years now and I'm not sure of much supporter involvement in the award of Chunks Lug to Neil Cochrane - even if it was well deserved.

By way of comparison regarding the end of season dinner, Glasgow had 500 at theirs including sponsors, business Club members, season ticket holders, other supporters and some journos. I'd heard Edinburgh's was just over 100 and included all players, coaching / back room staff, management and all respective partners.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu May 10, 2018 3:50 pm

Ron wrote:It’s not surprising as Edinburgh Rugby have had little engagement with supporters for some years now and I'm not sure of much supporter involvement in the award of Chunks Lug to Neil Cochrane - even if it was well deserved.

By way of comparison regarding the end of season dinner, Glasgow had 500 at theirs including sponsors, business Club members, season ticket holders, other supporters and some journos. I'd heard Edinburgh's was just over 100 and included all players, coaching / back room staff, management and all respective partners.

Fair comment, and I think Edinburgh are closer to catching Glasgow up on the field than they are off it.

This season has been our version of Toonie's first with Glasgow, albeit he started from a much higher base in terms of league position, they were getting around three thousand spectators at Firhill in Lineen's last season there. If and when the results start coming the crowds and interest from sponsors etc will hopefully follow
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 pm

The Pro14 2017/18 awards are tonight, oddly enough it is part of the 2018/19 launch party, in Glasgow, I believe.

Mcinally and Kinghorn are in the running for the team of the year. Cockerill for coach of the year and Kinghorn the young player award.

The Guinness Players’ Player of the Season
•Tadhg Beirne (Scarlets)
•Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets)
•James Lowe (Leinster Rugby)

The Guinness PRO14 Coach of the Season (voted by the coaches)
•Richard Cockerill (Edinburgh Rugby)
•Kieran Crowley (Benetton Rugby)
•Leo Cullen (Leinster Rugby)

The Honda Young Player of the Season (voted by the media)
•Jordan Larmour (Leinster Rugby)
•Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh Rugby)
•Matteo Minozzi (Zebre Rugby Club)
•Jarrod Evans (Cardiff Blues)

https://www.pro14rugby.org/2018/08/20/n ... ards-2018/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:36 pm

My guess would be:

- Tadhg Beirne
- Leo Cullen (although a lot of credit must go to Lancaster as his assistant).
- you can frankly flip a coin between Blair Kinghorn & Matteo Minozzi for the young POTY. Think Minozzi will get it however.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Wottie wrote:My guess would be:

- Tadhg Beirne
- Leo Cullen (although a lot of credit must go to Lancaster as his assistant).
- you can frankly flip a coin between Blair Kinghorn & Matteo Minozzi for the young POTY. Think Minozzi will get it however.

Suspect one will get young player. The other 15
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum