Pro14 Semi-Finals - Gla v Sca Fri 19:45 & Lei v Mun Sat 15:5

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Pro14 Semi-Finals - Gla v Sca Fri 19:45 & Lei v Mun Sat

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri May 18, 2018 11:45 pm

Scarlets totally dominated that game, very much deserved winners. Glasgow got a lot of breaks earlier in the season, but luck evens itself out, and in the last couple of months they haven't performed well. Will be a real test for Rennie to get them challenging for the league again next season.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri May 18, 2018 11:47 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
biffer wrote:If this is future Glasgow we'll be ahead of them in the league next year

Got to agree, their pack is not competitive, the backs score great tries because they have to as they get zero platform at any phase. They need to do the opposite of us and let some star backs go to balance the squad better.

Couple of poor decisions from ref but Glasgow 2nd best everywhere.

SRU need to be a bit ruthless. Kenny Murray isn't cutting the mustard. GW title win was built first on their defence.

Also none of Rennie´s signings (except Gibbins) have improved their 1st XV. Masaga, Big Brian, Kebble and Jones have made no impact. No amount of sports psychology can make up for that. A few big issues to resolve.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat May 19, 2018 12:00 am

macdone wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:
biffer wrote:If this is future Glasgow we'll be ahead of them in the league next year

Got to agree, their pack is not competitive, the backs score great tries because they have to as they get zero platform at any phase. They need to do the opposite of us and let some star backs go to balance the squad better.

Couple of poor decisions from ref but Glasgow 2nd best everywhere.

SRU need to be a bit ruthless. Kenny Murray isn't cutting the mustard. GW title win was built first on their defence.

Also none of Rennie´s signings (except Gibbins) have improved their 1st XV. Masaga, Big Brian, Kebble and Jones have made no impact. No amount of sports psychology can make up for that. A few big issues to resolve.

To be fair, Jones has had six starts for Glasgow afte a full season of SA rugby, with AIs and 6Ns mixed in. He’ll be excellent for them next year.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat May 19, 2018 12:27 am

Something´s not right. He's not been picked even when fit. He would likely not have played tonight regardless. It a lot of salary to have sitting in the stands.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat May 19, 2018 1:09 am

macdone wrote:Something´s not right. He's not been picked even when fit. He would likely not have played tonight regardless. It a lot of salary to have sitting in the stands.

Don’t agree with that, you’re looking for conspiracy where there is none.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat May 19, 2018 3:44 am

biffer wrote:
macdone wrote:Something´s not right. He's not been picked even when fit. He would likely not have played tonight regardless. It a lot of salary to have sitting in the stands.

Don’t agree with that, you’re looking for conspiracy where there is none.

Not at all. Apparently it's his defence but you would think he'd be a good bench option. Something´s not right because he's a spectacular player who like several others Price, Russell etc terrible for GW this season. The backs coach has come out publicly a few weeks ago saying Scottish players can't take criticism and see him as just having a go. Hence the need, he says, to find a sports psychologist.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat May 19, 2018 8:09 am

I didn't see Lacey doing much wrong either. The yellow card exercised a lot of people around me, but Grigg knew exactly what he was doing. I don't know the laws well enough to know whether the Gray try should have been given.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat May 19, 2018 8:29 am

Frenchy wrote:I didn't see Lacey doing much wrong either. The yellow card exercised a lot of people around me, but Grigg knew exactly what he was doing. I don't know the laws well enough to know whether the Gray try should have been given.

I'm pretty certain it should have been. Also the restart he took back to a scrum was wrong and he didn't play offside all night. And the number if times you heard him issuing an instruction at a breakdown three or more times without giving the penalty. And he didn't act on players backchat / appealing. And he didn't yellow the Scarlets boy at the end. That's just off the top of my head, pretty sure there were more. He's incompetent.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat May 19, 2018 8:39 am

If you look at the Glasgow forum it's no wonder they used to get 3 fans turn up.

One semi final defeat and it's Rennie out, won't renew tickets etc, 'irish' ref comments.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat May 19, 2018 8:46 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:If you look at the Glasgow forum it's no wonder they used to get 3 fans turn up.

One semi final defeat and it's Rennie out, won't renew tickets etc, 'irish' ref comments.

biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat May 19, 2018 8:59 am

biffer wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:If you look at the Glasgow forum it's no wonder they used to get 3 fans turn up.

We are much more principled and consistent and have 3 turn up win or lose! :)

Re the gray non-try I didnt think from the touchline camera angle it was clear if the ball was actually on the line at the time of gray moving 'offside' certainly finished in contact with the line but my understanding is the ball needed to be in contact with the line for the ruck to be over and therefore no offside line. Maybe 50/50 and the way decisions were going Glasgow were not getting any in their favour.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat May 19, 2018 9:04 am

The thing that got me about the Gray disallowed try was the speed with which Lacey dismissed it. One angle and he’d made a decision before it was halfway through.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat May 19, 2018 9:17 am

Frenchy wrote:I didn't see Lacey doing much wrong either. The yellow card exercised a lot of people around me, but Grigg knew exactly what he was doing. I don't know the laws well enough to know whether the Gray try should have been given.

I didn't think it was a yellow first up but on the replay clear as
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat May 19, 2018 9:20 am

I am really happy we have Cockerill rather them Rennie. There's no emotion. With Cockerill you can see how he feels. You can see the excitement and that he wants to the ball and make every tackle himself. Exactly what we needed
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sat May 19, 2018 9:27 am

biffer wrote:

I'm pretty certain it should have been. Also the restart he took back to a scrum was wrong and he didn't play offside all night. And the number if times you heard him issuing an instruction at a breakdown three or more times without giving the penalty. And he didn't act on players backchat / appealing. And he didn't yellow the Scarlets boy at the end. That's just off the top of my head, pretty sure there were more. He's incompetent.

The Gray non-try was marginal but I think the decision was correct in the end. It was incredibly tight but the ball had not clearly and obviously touched the line before Gray made contact with it.

All the other stuff you point out about Lacey, I completely agree with.
bignose
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum