Season Ticket Launch Party

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Season Ticket Launch Party

Postby Wottie on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Weegie wrote:Cockerill had a few jibes at Glasgow which he admitted were for cheap laughs, but he did say it was time for the SRU to invest at this end of the M8. I'd be interested to know the difference over the years.

That went down a storm didn't it? Particualrly apt given all the bitching going on over on the Glasgow board implying Edinburgh favour and Glasgow neglect by our owners! :lol:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:12 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:The suggestion is that both teams receive the same "grant" as it were from the SRU but keep their own ticket receipts/prize money, although it waa topped up a bit for Glasgow due to needing a bigger squad to cover intenrationals. So it stands to reason Glasgow will get more, although apparently the corporate income for Edinburgh is a lot higher than Glasgow. It would be hard to argue against Glasgow getting a bit more from the general pot, they have been performing and pulling their weight, Edinburgh, until recently as you suggest have not and would not have given value anyway.

Interesting that both JP and Cockers were full of praise for the Murrayfield hierarchy, now I'm sure I will be told that they would say that as it is their employer, but I'm not sure they would "we are here to talk about Edinburgh" would have been a resoanble response but they chose actively back them. Particulalry Cockers I don't think is prone to blowing smoke. Unless he has been promised Ali Price is he tows the line!

I get the impression too many folk, not here , worry about what the other team gets and it becomes devisive. I feel you make the best of what you have and let others worry about themselves
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:41 pm

Wottie wrote:I got the impression from JP's response to the final question of the evening (which was around the Supporter's Club assisting with reaching out to local clubs to attempt to grow the support), that the Club are not envisaging much, if any, formal engagement with the Supporter's Club as is. I took it that the focus will be on the new Supporter's Forum drawn from a wider stakeholder base for this going forward. I don't have a dog in this particular fight as not involved with the SC beyond being auto-enrolled as a member through the season ticket, but I found that a bit strange given it's already there and properly constituted! Did I misread the situation, or did others in attendance form a similar view?

How many members does the supporters club actually have?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:17 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:The suggestion is that both teams receive the same "grant" as it were from the SRU but keep their own ticket receipts/prize money, although it waa topped up a bit for Glasgow due to needing a bigger squad to cover intenrationals. So it stands to reason Glasgow will get more, although apparently the corporate income for Edinburgh is a lot higher than Glasgow. It would be hard to argue against Glasgow getting a bit more from the general pot, they have been performing and pulling their weight, Edinburgh, until recently as you suggest have not and would not have given value anyway.

Interesting that both JP and Cockers were full of praise for the Murrayfield hierarchy, now I'm sure I will be told that they would say that as it is their employer, but I'm not sure they would "we are here to talk about Edinburgh" would have been a resoanble response but they chose actively back them. Particulalry Cockers I don't think is prone to blowing smoke. Unless he has been promised Ali Price is he tows the line!

I get the impression too many folk, not here , worry about what the other team gets and it becomes devisive. I feel you make the best of what you have and let others worry about themselves

You are doing it wrong, it is a conspiracy and we demand to know who makes these decisions and where they live!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie59 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Thought JP completely missed the point about moving from Minifield to Intl Stadium for the bigger games. He seemed to think that it was good to move about based on likely gate money/attendance whereas I think the question was if you create an intimidating atmosphere you should stay put and forego the money. That's what Glasgow do with1872 by foregoing Murrayfield extra capacity for 'home' advantage'. Bit worrying that everyone expressed positive views about own ground, growing identity( although I agree with previous comments about ' what shall we sing"!!!!) etc to have the top man not understand the point.

One positive point is that I now know that "JP' actually exists, although once again Cockers did a great deflection when the question was asked why we don't see more of him. Cockers turned it around to a players mingling post match answer but the quickness that he jumped in suggested that it is a known problem about JPs low public profile.
Weegie59
Established pro

Postby biffer on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:23 pm

Weegie59 wrote:Thought JP completely missed the point about moving from Minifield to Intl Stadium for the bigger games. He seemed to think that it was good to move about based on likely gate money/attendance whereas I think the question was if you create an intimidating atmosphere you should stay put and forego the money. That's what Glasgow do with1872 by foregoing Murrayfield extra capacity for 'home' advantage'. Bit worrying that everyone expressed positive views about own ground, growing identity( although I agree with previous comments about ' what shall we sing"!!!!) etc to have the top man not understand the point.

One positive point is that I now know that "JP' actually exists, although once again Cockers did a great deflection when the question was asked why we don't see more of him. Cockers turned it around to a players mingling post match answer but the quickness that he jumped in suggested that it is a known problem about JPs low public profile.

Talking to him later on I got the impression it was very much only the Glasgow games and playoff games that would be moved.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Previous quote from JP from The Offside Line article

“For larger games, whether the 1872 Cup or big European games, we can always go back into BT Murrayfield itself. This year, we had 50,000 supporters coming to watch Edinburgh’s two home games against Glasgow, which shows that there is a real appetite for rugby in the city and scope for growth.”
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie59 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Biffer

Thanks for the update.

Still think that he missed the point ( which is worrying) and think that any decision to move matches ( however few) is very short sighted when they clearly saw the Edinburgh project ( at the new ground) in the medium/long term timescale. I would like to think that their initial plans allow for temporary stands /extensions that could partially negate the capacity concerns?

Logically with the SRU pulling the strings for both Scottish teams why don't they insist Glasgow plays the 1872 at Murrayfield? Scotstoun has a listed permanent capacity of 4,765 with 9,708 for rugby( per Wikipedia) which is not much different to the new Edinburgh arena .

Don't get me wrong- thought that last night was an overall success but I have growing reservations if JP is the right person to take the lead ( if that is what he is doing).
Weegie59
Established pro

Postby biffer on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:52 pm

Got to balance out between our stadium and an extra 200k in the bank to improve the squad.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Weegie59 wrote:Thought JP completely missed the point about moving from Minifield to Intl Stadium for the bigger games. He seemed to think that it was good to move about based on likely gate money/attendance whereas I think the question was if you create an intimidating atmosphere you should stay put and forego the money. That's what Glasgow do with1872 by foregoing Murrayfield extra capacity for 'home' advantage'. Bit worrying that everyone expressed positive views about own ground, growing identity( although I agree with previous comments about ' what shall we sing"!!!!) etc to have the top man not understand the point.

This is part of the problem if I've picked it up correctly. Murrayfield just becomes 'the big hoose' to use when it suits hence we have issues with it being seen as a neutral venue
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie59 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:39 pm

'Got to balance out between our stadium and an extra 200k in the bank to improve the squad.'

Biffer- totally agree about the financial implications but it equally applies to Glasgow. They and/or SRU have taken a different view. Although they look like they are currently going backwards, they have had a great deal of success in recent years partly based on their approach. Scotstoun is an intimidating place to go to and at best Murrayfield is likely to be only half full for the big games. Difficult to image you will get the atmosphere they desire in a half full stadium.

Not sure of the financial arrangements with SRU but is gate money ring fenced for Edinburgh ?
Weegie59
Established pro

Postby biffer on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Weegie59 wrote:'Got to balance out between our stadium and an extra 200k in the bank to improve the squad.'

Biffer- totally agree about the financial implications but it equally applies to Glasgow. They and/or SRU have taken a different view. Although they look like they are currently going backwards, they have had a great deal of success in recent years partly based on their approach. Scotstoun is an intimidating place to go to and at best Murrayfield is likely to be only half full for the big games. Difficult to image you will get the atmosphere they desire in a half full stadium.

Not sure of the financial arrangements with SRU but is gate money ring fenced for Edinburgh ?

We are meant to keep our own ticket money. How that worked with silver Saturday is anyone’s guess.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:33 pm

Not sure about tickets but the caterers took note of who had salt and sauce and who had salt and vinegar.

drinks income was easy, G'gow got takings for buckfast, we got the pimms.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:38 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Not sure about tickets but the caterers took note of who had salt and sauce and who had salt and vinegar.

drinks income was easy, G'gow got takings for buckfast, we got the pimms.

Talking about that, must make sure new stadium has a verandah
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:52 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Previous quote from JP from The Offside Line article

“For larger games, whether the 1872 Cup or big European games, we can always go back into BT Murrayfield itself. This year, we had 50,000 supporters coming to watch Edinburgh’s two home games against Glasgow, which shows that there is a real appetite for rugby in the city and scope for growth.”

I think this depends on what he means about a big European game. If it is the prospect of selling an extra thousand tickets, I don't think it makes sense in either a commercial or competitive reasoning. Creating a limited supply of tickets will give more an incentive to buy season tickets and a packed stadium give better atmosphere (10, 00 in Murrayfield is still pretty sparse). I would rather they looked at, somehow, increasing capacity for these type of games.

The Glasgow games are a separate and sensistive, to our second city cousins, issue. I would prefer that one of these is played at our new home.
gunneria
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum