Always edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Always edinburgh

Postby Weegie on Thu May 31, 2018 4:12 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:ST renewals from 10am tomorrow, general sale from 8th June so I assume existing ST holders may get an email or something today/overnight with pricing etc. I had assumed this part is still pending for today with link going live tomorrow.

Stadium plan looks sensible, achievable and of an adequate size for now the “Scottish Rugby has designed the project using flexible infrastructure” suggests room to expand if we get to that stage and perhaps be used for other things to make it more viable. BBC reporting it is a £5m investment which would suggest more than some temp stands will wait for further details but really hope they have learned from the Myreside experience http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-44318725

Branding, as it is with anything is subjective, it is a good bit more modern and a clear departure from the black and red which is perhaps good to leave behind along with some honking years of on and off field performance associated with it.

However it will really be the kit etc for this season that will make or break it, players and fans need to buy into and be proud to wear it which is easier to do when the team is doing well.

On the field I can’t see us slipping backwards this season under Cockerill he is going to keep driving standards, I really hope that by the time the new stadium is ready next season we are in the Champions Cup again and maybe looking at selling a good number of STs and being sold out for a lot of the games in the new stadium.

I am pretty positive about todays announcements.

It is rather short notice for season ticket sales. I assume since nothing has been mentioned about people keeping season ticket seats from the past, it will be first come first served so people who have formed groups over the years might be split up if they can't get their act together by 10 tomorrow.

And another edit.

Despite my earlier comments, what really matters is what happens on the pitch. Edinburgh seem to be making good ground there, and if that continues, the rest is floss.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Thu May 31, 2018 4:15 pm

Very pleased with the mini-stadium plan, excellent news! Frank Dodson is a real can-do man, isn't he, it looks like a complete make-over of the back pitches and the SRU finding £5m to invest - and agreeing to invest it - is astonishing. Changed days indeed.

From the artist's visual, it appears the stadium runs east to west and the perspective lines suggest it's about lined up with the two flying buttresses on the MF West Stand. So best point for access to the stadium and President's.

The posts in the top right-hand corner of the drawing suggest there will be an east-west training pitch between mini-MF and the railway embankment. The layout makes me think there's going to be a reduction to two pitches, one of them in the new stadium, as I doubt there is enough space to squeeze in a third one between mini-MF and the coach park.

The £5m price tag sounds very high, OK £1m of it on an artificial pitch and a good bit on stands and pipes and wires and floodlights etc., but doubt that would add up to anything like £5m. Makes me think there is going to be some additional infrastructure, maybe a perimeter access road or additional car parking or something. Look forward to seeing the plans to see how wrong I can be!

Quite happy to revert to the historic colours and the new corporate identity is OK and at least a bit more modern.

My one minor niggle is that 'Always Edinburgh' is a bit anodyne - always what? Raining? Losing? Girning? But it is only a strap line, in fact a social media tagline, doesn't matter tuppence really, they can always improve it another day.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu May 31, 2018 4:20 pm

royc wrote:Very pleased with the mini-stadium plan, excellent news! Frank Dodson is a real can-do man, isn't he, it looks like a complete make-over of the back pitches and the SRU finding £5m to invest - and agreeing to invest it - is astonishing. Changed days indeed.

From the artist's visual, it appears the stadium runs east to west and the perspective lines suggest it's about lined up with the two flying buttresses on the MF West Stand. So best point for access to the stadium and President's.

The posts in the top right-hand corner of the drawing suggest there will be an east-west training pitch between mini-MF and the railway embankment. The layout makes me think there's going to be a reduction to two pitches, one of them in the new stadium, as I doubt there is enough space to squeeze in a third one between mini-MF and the coach park.

The £5m price tag sounds very high, OK £1m of it on an artificial pitch and a good bit on stands and pipes and wires and floodlights etc., but doubt that would add up to anything like £5m. Makes me think there is going to be some additional infrastructure, maybe a perimeter access road or additional car parking or something. Look forward to seeing the plans to see how wrong I can be!

Quite happy to revert to the historic colours and the new corporate identity is OK and at least a bit more modern.

My one minor niggle is that 'Always Edinburgh' is a bit anodyne - always what? Raining? Losing? Girning? But it is only a strap line, in fact a social media tagline, doesn't matter tuppence really, they can always improve it another day.

Despite all that’s new, some things have always remained.

Edinburgh has always been a rugby city.

We are a team that always stays in the battle.

We want our supporters to always get behind the team.

We will always be about the players and the supporters - they are the club.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu May 31, 2018 4:39 pm

I wonder Cockerill will be doing a 'this is day 1' spiel
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu May 31, 2018 4:44 pm

It all sounds good to me! There is not really any other option for the stadium and i suspect if we want to keep Cockers, which we must do, then a new stadium is a must if he is going to build the club culture he is rightly banging on about. Similarly there is something about shedding the baggage of the last 5-6 dismal years of Bradley and Solomons so a new strip, new badge and a new beginning sounds the right thing to do. This will be another year of development of the team with Cockers building the squad he wants and the chance to get the team through a proper pre season so I think it is probable the right time to rebrand the club around Cockers 'culture' and if that means a new badge, strip colours and eventually a new stadium then great. In many ways it is about AlainRolland' time we moved on from actually what has been a pretty poor history in the pro era, we are not leaving a lot behind!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Thu May 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Wottie wrote:
Despite all that’s new, some things have always remained.

Edinburgh has always been a rugby city.

We are a team that always stays in the battle.

We want our supporters to always get behind the team.

We will always be about the players and the supporters - they are the club.

Yesss, but that's a post-rationalisation. If you have the substantiations you list on a sheet of paper, then the tagline makes some sense. But your average supporter, let alone Mr McTavish on the Embra omnibus, doesn't have the sheet of paper and is not going to get any of these things out of the raw tagline. In as much as anyone gives it a second thought, the question for most will remain 'Always WHAT?'

However, the tagline is such a minor point in the grand scheme of things, next to a shiny new home stadium, wish I hadn't mentioned it now :roll:
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Thu May 31, 2018 5:11 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Thanks Ron, sounds positive.

Did they explain why they had bypassed the supporters club re fan engagement?

Yeah, logo/colours aside (boak), this is the real question.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu May 31, 2018 7:13 pm

Does anyone know if the SRU contributed to the Roseburn flood defences?
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby borderflanker on Thu May 31, 2018 8:14 pm

I`ve no problem with the rebranding as far as the strip will be concerned , whilst I don`t like the new logo will get used to it.
The main thing is the team progresses from this seasons efforts.
The projected plans for MiniBTme look excellent.
borderflanker
Established pro

Postby royc on Thu May 31, 2018 9:11 pm

Frenchy wrote:Does anyone know if the SRU contributed to the Roseburn flood defences?

It was cost-neutral I think. They didn't do it by a cash payment AFAIK, but they gave up a good slice of the back pitches to enable the flood barrier and elevated walkway, which was worth a good bit of money.

Net result was that the SRU lost two of the 6 pitches and had to put in a flood run-off scheme, which I think may be the dual purpose of the Western Car Park. By way of compensation, the City Council paid for the relaying of the pitches and - IIRC - the re-positioning of the floodlights.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu May 31, 2018 9:22 pm

royc wrote:
Frenchy wrote:Does anyone know if the SRU contributed to the Roseburn flood defences?

It was cost-neutral I think. They didn't do it by a cash payment AFAIK, but they gave up a good slice of the back pitches to enable the flood barrier and elevated walkway, which was worth a good bit of money.

Net result was that the SRU lost two of the 6 pitches and had to put in a flood run-off scheme, which I think may be the dual purpose of the Western Car Park. By way of compensation, the City Council paid for the relaying of the pitches and - IIRC - the re-positioning of the floodlights.

Ta. I didn't think they'd paid anything, so it seemed a bit off that they were then benefiting from the flood defence work by way of being able to now build another stadium there.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu May 31, 2018 9:36 pm

borderflanker wrote:I`ve no problem with the rebranding as far as the strip will be concerned , whilst I don`t like the new logo will get used to it.
The main thing is the team progresses from this seasons efforts.
The projected plans for MiniBTme look excellent.

This in spades
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Flinty's Barmy Army on Thu May 31, 2018 10:54 pm

Weegie wrote:It is rather short notice for season ticket sales. I assume since nothing has been mentioned about people keeping season ticket seats from the past, it will be first come first served so people who have formed groups over the years might be split up if they can't get their act together by 10 tomorrow.

Because I kicked up a stink re reserved seats when we moved back from Myreside, ER guaranteed to keep my group seated together. They've kept their promise. Good luck getting your seats sorted.
Flinty's Barmy Army
International

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:39 am

Offside line with the best coverage and detail as always, good source of info.

https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-go ... he-future/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:26 am

Le Jock Sportif wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Thanks Ron, sounds positive.

Did they explain why they had bypassed the supporters club re fan engagement?

Yeah, logo/colours aside (boak), this is the real question.

I would like to hear the real story behind the rebrand but getting club supporters, sponsors and players from past and present having a roundtable discussion has a charm to it.

Such as letting kids design the badge or something, fans deciding the colours etc.

I remember the first Scotland kids macron let the fans design them and ended up with a really nice home shirt - ideas like that work sometimes.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum