Always edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Always edinburgh

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat May 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Appears to be a new social media campaign on the go with "always edinburgh" as the tag line and tweets trailing the date 31.5.18, any ideas next years stadium plan, signing news?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Always edinburgh

Postby STKS on Sat May 26, 2018 7:58 pm

I'd be willing to stick my neck out and say we're due a rebranding. Probably confirmation of new stadium at the same time.

I won't guess as to what it'll look like, but the nature of the posts makes it seem more about club ethos/history than anything else.

Nothing rhymes with Edinburgh.
STKS
International

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun May 27, 2018 10:30 am

Season tickets.

I don't mind Always Edinburgh but it's a real shame we couldn't continue with Gunners or something castle related.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun May 27, 2018 5:18 pm

I hoep we don't re-brand to be honest, I know it would make it easier to have some songs but a contrived brand like Bristol have just done is weak, add in the Gloucester rebrand of their badge, which looks like the Leicester badge doesn't work either.

Been said many times, win games and have players who look like they care and the support will rise as it is already. Doesn't matter what colour we play in or what name you give us.

Having said that if we must have a moniker then I like Edinburgh Elite, rings well and plays to our traditional roots!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun May 27, 2018 5:30 pm

Edinburgh Reivers? If we're going to have an official name, I'd prefer to return to that.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun May 27, 2018 5:34 pm

Would make sense, but does it really mean anything to anyone?

Even in the Borders the name Reivers was viewed as a little strange and contrived.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun May 27, 2018 6:45 pm

Edinburgh Advocates?
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun May 27, 2018 7:01 pm

If we look to sell into the US sadly a rebrand is necessary but I don't think being contrived is necessarily bad. Look at Glasgow - winning games has seen people buy into the Warriors as a brand.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun May 27, 2018 7:40 pm

Edinburgh rugby is just that. Warriors is Wigan, or Worcester or Glasgow or NewZealand or the next franchise
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun May 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:If we look to sell into the US sadly a rebrand is necessary but I don't think being contrived is necessarily bad. Look at Glasgow - winning games has seen people buy into the Warriors as a brand.

True but I think the Glasgow Dolphins would have had just as much support if they were winning and playing the same brand of rugby, ultimately without that then all the rest is just window dressing.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Mon May 28, 2018 8:23 am

Cockers has found time to go through all the cupboards and found there is no history so is away to create some for us over the coming years? Whilst a big of Gunners, and of Reivers until I understood it was as linked to Edinburgh as Sharks are to Sale, I'm happy with plain Edinburgh.

Now if we could just agree on the number of syllables....

And as for branding, etc, we've changed several times whilst I've followed the club so I'm not precious, nothing can be as bad as it was under the Carruthers

Can it?!?!
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby The Party Line on Mon May 28, 2018 9:23 am

I seem to remeber Edinburgh Knights being quoted beginning of the season before last. Chain mail on the strip as well, that looked like a fledging idea, which was quickly backed out of. Edinburgh Knights sounds a bit to much ike a hen/ stag party organiser.
The Party Line
International

Postby biffer on Mon May 28, 2018 11:04 am

The Party Line wrote:I seem to remeber Edinburgh Knights being quoted beginning of the season before last. Chain mail on the strip as well, that looked like a fledging idea, which was quickly backed out of. Edinburgh Knights sounds a bit to much ike a hen/ stag party organiser.

Yeah, that was soooooo tacky
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon May 28, 2018 1:09 pm

"Always Edinburgh" sounds like a social media handle, perhaps a bit like Glasgow's "whatever it takes" (theirs was about the players attitude, always edinburgh can only be a variant on once a burger always a burger. Bit naff for me.

Anyway not quite a rebrand in itself.

A rebrand would normally involve a change to the name. Last season Edinburgh Chokers would have been an easy choice, now need to think again :)

Not an easy thing to do, but the right "name" is easier to push and easier to get recognition in social media etc. Mention Warriors to anyone in Glasgow or wider Scotland and I doubt many associate that with Wigan or Worcs etc. And here Mr Lungrun is right - without the on field stuff its all fairly irrelevant - the tight name or nickname or # makes success easier to market, it doesn't make success. I suspect the SRU know that :eek:
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Mon May 28, 2018 7:57 pm

I assume that the new club motto will draw on the club's history: "The Slap Is Immense" still does it for me.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum