Always edinburgh

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Always edinburgh

Postby Wottie on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:16 am

Reading the Offside Line article in detail this morning and noticed this bit:

7. How does this new facility tie-in with the club’s rebranding?

JP: “This is the next step in our transformation as a club. The work Cockers [Richard Cockerill] has done with the performance group during the course of this year has been great, and the transformation of that group and the way they have performed on the field has been fantastic to see.”

“It’s the right time to do this but also a number of other things alongside that, which is why we are taking the opportunity to rebrand the club at the same time.

“We caveat that by saying this is not about changing the name of the club. The name of the club is Edinburgh and it will stay as Edinburgh. It’s important for us to look to remember our history and heritage. We’ve been here for 145 years and it’s important that we recognise that, so we will be going back to the traditional colours of Edinburgh District, playing in predominantly dark blue [along with a burnt orange colour ‘inspired by the city’s volcanic beginnings at Castle Rock and Arthur’s Seat’] and we’ll be introducing a new logo from next year as well which is redolent of the original District badge.

So my read of this is that the badge / logo released this week is temporary and a new one is coming to tie in with teh new stadium opening! Not sure that's going to auger too well for the sale of shirts and merchandise if this is the case. Bad enough having a wardrobe full of redundant Black and Red gear without adding to it with some blue and orange gear!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:43 am

Wottie wrote:So my read of this is that the badge / logo released this week is temporary and a new one is coming to tie in with teh new stadium opening! Not sure that's going to auger too well for the sale of shirts and merchandise if this is the case. Bad enough having a wardrobe full of redundant Black and Red gear without adding to it with some blue and orange gear!

If all that is changing is the badge / logo, surely that is no big deal? The kit changes every year anyway, so as long as they stick to the colours announced the logo changing will just be one of the details that change on the kit.

I am coming round to being actively excited about this. Things are changing on the pitch so they could have chosen to evolve elsewhere. Instead they have chosen to cut links to the unsuccessful immediate past, and go back the original roots to make a fresh start for this incarnation of Edinburgh. It is a new dawn for Edinburgh Rugby with a fresh start across the board. I groaned inwardly when I first heard about this, but now I like it even though there are details I'd quibble with.

I'm fairly sure people turning up in the old red and black will still be recognised as Edinburgh supporters. I for one have no intention of ditching my Edinburgh jacket.

It does beg the question of why Edinburgh are not going straight to the logo coming out next year instead of having a temporary one.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Rasho on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:45 am

Very happy if they do improve the logo, mind you. So little detail in the lego brick it looks like an afterthought... or getting 2 year old to draw it. Don't buy the social media bit... still looks like a blob... a more detailed castle and could have been great.
Very positive, and excited, about the team and stadium. Can see the re-brand can give a fresh start and focus. Wardrobe clear out time... blue and orange is incoming :-)
Rasho
Established pro

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Weegie wrote:
Wottie wrote:So my read of this is that the badge / logo released this week is temporary and a new one is coming to tie in with teh new stadium opening! Not sure that's going to auger too well for the sale of shirts and merchandise if this is the case. Bad enough having a wardrobe full of redundant Black and Red gear without adding to it with some blue and orange gear!

If all that is changing is the badge / logo, surely that is no big deal? The kit changes every year anyway, so as long as they stick to the colours announced the logo changing will just be one of the details that change on the kit.

I am coming round to being actively excited about this. Things are changing on the pitch so they could have chosen to evolve elsewhere. Instead they have chosen to cut links to the unsuccessful immediate past, and go back the original roots to make a fresh start for this incarnation of Edinburgh. It is a new dawn for Edinburgh Rugby with a fresh start across the board. I groaned inwardly when I first heard about this, but now I like it even though there are details I'd quibble with.

I'm fairly sure people turning up in the old red and black will still be recognised as Edinburgh supporters. I for one have no intention of ditching my Edinburgh jacket.

It does beg the question of why Edinburgh are not going straight to the logo coming out next year instead of having a temporary one.

ALL aboard big Dicks hype train
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:36 pm

Weegie wrote:If all that is changing is the badge / logo, surely that is no big deal? The kit changes every year anyway, so as long as they stick to the colours announced the logo changing will just be one of the details that change on the kit.

Yes I agree on the game shirts, It's all the other stuff I was thinking about. Who's going to buy a jacket or polo shirt with a temp logo on it. I wouldn't! Your concluding question is an excellent one.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:46 pm

Would be strange to have a new logo for one year, sort of a non-brand rather than re-brand if that happens. Maybe someone has misunderstood what Petrie meant, but I guess we'll see.

Regarding the name, it's being said that there's no change. But we seem to be Edinburgh now, not Edinburgh Rugby, so to me it does seem like a minor but significant change. I'm all in favour of dropping Rugby from our name, it always seemed completely pointless to me. Am I the only person seeing this as a change?
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:57 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Would be strange to have a new logo for one year, sort of a non-brand rather than re-brand if that happens. Maybe someone has misunderstood what Petrie meant, but I guess we'll see.

Regarding the name, it's being said that there's no change. But we seem to be Edinburgh now, not Edinburgh Rugby, so to me it does seem like a minor but significant change. I'm all in favour of dropping Rugby from our name, it always seemed completely pointless to me. Am I the only person seeing this as a change?

It's a change certainly, but a very minor one. It was never used on the badge / logo and "Rugby" tends to get dropped on scoreboards and like anyway. I prefer just Edinburgh.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Wottie wrote:Reading the Offside Line article in detail this morning and noticed this bit:

JP: “This is the next step in our transformation as a club. The work Cockers [Richard Cockerill] has done with the performance group during the course of this year has been great, and the transformation of that group and the way they have performed on the field has been fantastic to see.”

“It’s the right time to do this but also a number of other things alongside that, which is why we are taking the opportunity to rebrand the club at the same time.

“We caveat that by saying this is not about changing the name of the club. The name of the club is Edinburgh and it will stay as Edinburgh. It’s important for us to look to remember our history and heritage. We’ve been here for 145 years and it’s important that we recognise that, so we will be going back to the traditional colours of Edinburgh District, playing in predominantly dark blue [along with a burnt orange colour ‘inspired by the city’s volcanic beginnings at Castle Rock and Arthur’s Seat’] and we’ll be introducing a new logo from next year as well which is redolent of the original District badge.

So my read of this is that the badge / logo released this week is temporary and a new one is coming to tie in with teh new stadium opening! Not sure that's going to auger too well for the sale of shirts and merchandise if this is the case. Bad enough having a wardrobe full of redundant Black and Red gear without adding to it with some blue and orange gear!

Surely that's a slip we all make, we say next year when we mean next season?
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:12 pm

Edinburgh Shark wrote:Surely that's a slip we all make, we say next year when we mean next season?

Actually, that makes sense. Probably just a case of reading it after the reveal!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Wottie wrote:
Edinburgh Shark wrote:Surely that's a slip we all make, we say next year when we mean next season?

Actually, that makes sense. Probably just a case of reading it after the reveal!

The sad thing is, some us have so little faith in some aspects of how Edinburgh is run we believed it was possible for them to have a logo for one year then change it.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:01 pm

Wottie wrote:Reading the Offside Line article in detail this morning and noticed this bit:

I think it's the orange castle logo he's talking about there. Someone put up on Twitter an image of the old district logo and it's the 3 turrets so the new one is the sort of modernist interpretation of the old one.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:27 pm

Looks like we are actually going for orange and purple on most of the branding. Will be interesting to see what the strips will be like (although I'm a bit scared).

Seems strange to be moving to blue which is already used by Leinster and Cardiff (not to mention Scotland). Let's hope macron can pull something good out of the bag.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:03 pm

Vernon would be in a chunk I would imagine. They will also have some time a fair bit on contract renewals and upgrades.

I think the whole silver Saturday thing may well put adamlener on the plans to move a 9. There would be a serious revolt if that wa announced now unlesss it was preceded by a big name signing over there.

Hamilton has been long rumoured to be going there. Possibly logistics but they seriously need some decent pr and if he is going they should announce it now.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:17 pm

macdone wrote:Looks like we are actually going for orange and purple on most of the branding. Will be interesting to see what the strips will be like (although I'm a bit scared).

Seems strange to be moving to blue which is already used by Leinster and Cardiff (not to mention Scotland). Let's hope macron can pull something good out of the bag.

Blue is possibly more distinctive than black in our league, if that was a consideration. Glasgow, Dragons, Ospreys and Kings are all some variation of black.

They'll have to do something interesting to keep it different from the Scotland kit though.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:16 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Vernon would be in a chunk I would imagine. They will also have some time a fair bit on contract renewals and upgrades.

I think the whole silver Saturday thing may well put adamlener on the plans to move a 9. There would be a serious revolt if that wa announced now unlesss it was preceded by a big name signing over there.

Hamilton has been long rumoured to be going there. Possibly logistics but they seriously need some decent pr and if he is going they should announce it now.

I think it would be funny as f.......

Still think it will happen but sure we can pick someone up regardless
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum