Ben Ryan

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Ben Ryan

Postby Frenchy on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 am

It was mentioned in the most recent Thistle podcast that Ben Ryan, in a recent interview with Stephen Jones, said that he was offered the Edinburgh job. Water under the bridge now, but thought it was vaguely interesting.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Re: Ben Ryan

Postby The Chiel on Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 am

I don't remember that, although I'm not word perfect on the ramblings of the ego that is Jones. The ST do a podcast as well - might have been in there.

However Ryan has a book to sell, and he's punting out various bits of publicity stuff, including merging the England / Scotland / Wales 7s teams on a permanent basis as poor little England are having problems by themselves.

Looking forward to reading the book at some stage though - mainly about the Fiji 7s team where Ryan was TBF exceptionally successful in bringing just enough organisation to the chaos !
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:33 am

Glad he didn't accept to be fair.

Would be a massive, massive, massive risk to sign an unsuccessful union coach (flopped in the lower English leagues). His Fiji 7s team could do some uncoachable skills that blew teams away and aside from Kinghorn and DvdM we have no players who can. So could he adapt? I don't think so. Could potentially have changed the culture into a more open and fun culture but I think the pack needed drilled first and foremost.

I also look forward to the book but I think he's best in media rather than coaching 15s again.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:44 am

Sure it was as head coach? We took Calum MacRae in from Scotland 7's as defence coach (with more than a little input on fitness I suspect). Would have thought Ryan would have been considered in this light rather than as an alternative to a Cockers (or equivalent)?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:13 am

Anything that comes via Stephen Jones is best ignored as BS.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:02 pm

biffer wrote:Anything that comes via Stephen Jones is best ignored as BS.

There is a pub in Queenstown, NZ that has a picture of Jones on their urinals enabling patrons to "direct" their displeasure. It's hugely therapeutic and no doubt contributes significantly to their beer sales!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:44 pm

Wottie wrote:
biffer wrote:Anything that comes via Stephen Jones is best ignored as BS.

There is a pub in Queenstown, NZ that has a picture of Jones on their urinals enabling patrons to "direct" their displeasure. It's hugely therapeutic and no doubt contributes significantly to their beer sales!

Love that - visiting NZ has always been on the bucket list, but there's another great reason to do it. :lol:
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby BeardofScottishRugby on Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:19 pm

Ryan himself said about Edinburgh job on Rugby podcast. Heard it myself.
BeardofScottishRugby
Embra Debut

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum