Edinburgh Home Attendances

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Home Attendances

Postby Wottie on Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:29 pm

I have added the 3 prior seasons numbers like for like to the initial post on this thread.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Le Jock Sportif wrote:I'm mainly interested in this from the point of view of maximising attendances. Being one of them myself, I personally think for a certain "rugby interested" demographic (working parents), Fridays nights aren't as attractive.

The reasons might be petty for some diehards, but motivating yourself to sit/stand in the freezing wind/rain after a long week at work directly after work when there are family issues going on takes particular will power. I think it has to be made as accessible as possible. However, that needs to be balanced with the active players who attend who will presumably be lost. I'm not sure how many of those there are.

Wise words, natch.

I would be happy to stay predominantly Fridays, but wouldn't say no to late pm Sats for similar reasons. But it may be that TV makes the decisions for us, should we continue with the improved performances into next year. The key thing is for the club to learn from previous experience with different days/times, rather than simply reinventing the wheel.

The historic attendance data make for pretty grim reading.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:15 pm

Cheers, boss.

Appreciate there are many factors that go into match scheduling. But I think there's something in the day/timing issue. Appreciate also some of the bigger attendances could be explained by the fact they're more important games (Heino etc), but a Saturday game doesn't crowd out your whole day. You can go and do it in 3-4 hours and have the rest of your day either side of the match to yourself to do whatever you want, not be trying to get home in the cold/wet at 9.30 at night. I've heard it said by plenty of people.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Our opening home match attendance of 5,329 remains below the league average attendance over the first three rounds of 6,805, but a good start compared to the 4,309 average we got in for our last three league games last season (exc. the Weeg fixture).
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:30 pm

What was the attendance vs Conn last year? I thought it was a decent crowd, certainly felt like the East stand was almost full. Did spark chat about whether we shoudl have got gold season tickets, or needing to get there earlier next time.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:47 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:What was the attendance vs Conn last year? I thought it was a decent crowd, certainly felt like the East stand was almost full. Did spark chat about whether we shoudl have got gold season tickets, or needing to get there earlier next time.

Was away last year.

The ice rink car park being full, and the West Stand one more or less the same, suggests a strong uptick in adult season tickets.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:30 pm

True, although I think the car parks were as much down to incompetent stewarding than anything else!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:00 am

Didn't Edinburgh this season sell a record amount of season tickets? Something like 4500ish? Success on and off the field last season will hopefully mean more people attending M/F this season. Regardless of results so far, thought Edinburgh have been playing well. Have been good to watch so far.
David990
International

Postby Wottie on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:58 am

Not seen any figures released (they tend not to) but I think we need to be careful this year anyway due to the free U16 ticket offer. Not all ST's taken will therefore be used, or were paid for. Would be good to know what the take up was for this season.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:14 pm

Id be amazed if it was 4500, was it not around 1500 last year?

Agree it will be skewed by the u16 offer but it is a good idea. I would guess we will have attracted 1000 more for various reasons. The crowd was decent on Friday, but it is fragile, if we had managed to balls up that lead (and we came close) then it woudl have had a big effect on the next attendance. Hopefully we can string together a few wins and keep building.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:10 pm

I Think the official attendance is off, we were delayed from entering from the car park because there was a problem with the "turnstiles" or so the chap from G4S claimed. As the crowd started getting larger and more impatient (many had been waiting for 10-20 minutes) they started letting us in, but tickets were not being scanned, just examined.

After something to eat I popped back to the car to drop off the goodie bag about 40 min later (~1950), by that point there was a fair queue to get in but that seemed to be caused by only two members of staff on and their scanners being quite slow.

So i imagine there were a fair few people that got in without being counted before the scanners came out.
STKS
International

Postby Wottie on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:13 pm

STKS they don't work the attendance off the scanners, they do it from ticket sales (with the underlying assumption that all ST holders attend, which is of course not the case).
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:03 pm

Wottie wrote:STKS they don't work the attendance off the scanners, they do it from ticket sales (with the underlying assumption that all ST holders attend, which is of course not the case).

Are you sure about that? As an event organiser, they (G4S) have a legal obligation to count people into the venue for health and safety reasons. Seems wrong that they would announce an estimate rather than the total that they are required to keep track of anyway. The scanners they use must make it far simpler than the days of using tally counters and comparing notes with all the door staff.
STKS
International

Postby Wottie on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:11 pm

I'm 99% sure. If you want an easy way to prove the approach, Warriors sold out every single home game last season and the official attendance figures were 7,351 (full capacity) for literally every game. There are always empty seats in the stadium and they have no pitchside standing to explain that away or muddy the water (as indeed we did at Myreside when it was "sold out"). G4S may well have obligations to count people in for H&S, but there is no obligation to use those figures for official attendance stats and the approach of treating ST sales as an attendance at 100% of games is, I believe, a well known and long standing one.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Wottie wrote:Warriors sold out every single home game last season and the official attendance figures were 7,351 (full capacity) for literally every game. There are always empty seats in the stadium

I just assumed they were queuing for pies and pints :lol:

Doesn't seem like a very good system, disappointing if they do use that method. Will be interesting to see what our lowest attendance figures are like when it's cold and raining sideways in Jan/Feb when we play Kings and Dragons.
STKS
International

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum