Edinburgh Home Attendances

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Home Attendances

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:50 am

Tichtheid wrote:I haven’t checked the Welsh teams, but I did so before regarding the Irish sides, the attendances reflect the on field success, it’s certainly the case with Glasgow, too.

When Edinburgh start being serious contenders at the business end of the season, or get through to big cup quarters, the attendances will take care of themselves

Iirc Glasgow last home attendance the year they finished last in the league was about 1200
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:56 am

Tichtheid wrote:When Edinburgh start being serious contenders at the business end of the season, or get through to big cup quarters, the attendances will take care of themselves

But we really need to convert those that come along to the "big" games to coming along to all games, I think that will start when we move to Minifield and fear of missing out on the big games kicks in (Assuming we play ALL games at minifield).

Given all STs are included in attendance stats I expect a jump next season based on the free U16 tickets, I took one for my son but he is too young to make a 1930 KO so wont be at many but probably still counted though.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:50 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Given all STs are included in attendance stats I expect a jump next season based on the free U16 tickets, I took one for my son but he is too young to make a 1930 KO so wont be at many but probably still counted though.

I'm not sure that boosting the published attendances via free and unfilled seats is what we're all hoping for...
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:06 am

bignose wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Given all STs are included in attendance stats I expect a jump next season based on the free U16 tickets, I took one for my son but he is too young to make a 1930 KO so wont be at many but probably still counted though.

I'm not sure that boosting the published attendances via free and unfilled seats is what we're all hoping for...

Yes this is going to skew comparisons a bit isn't it. However the logic is sound and it will be a one off deal for our last season in the international stadium. Hopefully the U16's that come along will enjoy the experience and have their parent's arms up their backs for a ST the following season.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:32 am

Wottie wrote:
bignose wrote:

Yes this is going to skew comparisons a bit isn't it. However the logic is sound and it will be a one off deal for our last season in the international stadium. Hopefully the U16's that come along will enjoy the experience and have their parent's arms up their backs for a ST the following season.

I completely agree with both, I would much rather see genuine increase in support and more folks at the game, but given how attendance is historically reported I expect we will see increased numbers reported whether they is actual physically more folk in Murrayfield or not. It is similar with Glasgow who "sell out" pretty much every match but there are always a visible number of empty seats presumably non-attending STs.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:50 am

If Edinburgh start winning/competing at top of Pro14 & CC, then the fans will come.

It's a lot more enjoyable walking/driving home after a cold Friday night win, than a loss!
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:59 am

There is little or no evidence that Friday night matches produce the biggest attendances. It’s simply that most folk who go do like it.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:57 pm

adi1314 wrote:If Edinburgh start winning/competing at top of Pro14 & CC, then the fans will come.

It's a lot more enjoyable walking/driving home after a cold Friday night win, than a loss!

Indeed. Attendances were growing quite healthily in the Andy Robinson era, before things went horribly wrong.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:05 pm

Ron wrote:There is little or no evidence that Friday night matches produce the biggest attendances. It’s simply that most folk who go do like it.

I think that's a very good point. It used to be (may still be) that most match-goers were players and would be lost if Edinburgh games clashed i.e. were played on Saturdays. Is that still the case? I sense (with little definitive proof admittedly) the game is expanding beyond that. Many factors feed in to attendances, but crowds have hardly been stellar on Fridays as it is. What do people think?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Le Jock Sportif wrote:
Ron wrote:There is little or no evidence that Friday night matches produce the biggest attendances. It’s simply that most folk who go do like it.

I think that's a very good point. It used to be (may still be) that most match-goers were players and would be lost if Edinburgh games clashed i.e. were played on Saturdays. Is that still the case? I sense (with little definitive proof admittedly) the game is expanding beyond that. Many factors feed in to attendances, but crowds have hardly been stellar on Fridays as it is. What do people think?

Would be good to run a poll on here if the admins could set one up? Select one from the four options below (need to assume Saturdays would encompass mid or late afternoon KO's, not evenings):

Prefer Friday evenings through choice
Prefer Fridays as cannot make Saturday Games
Prefer Saturdays through choice
Prefer Saturdays as cannot make Friday evening games
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:08 pm

Wottie wrote:
Le Jock Sportif wrote:

Would be good to run a poll on here if the admins could set one up? Select one from the four options below (need to assume Saturdays would encompass mid or late afternoon KO's, not evenings):

Prefer Friday evenings through choice
Prefer Fridays as cannot make Saturday Games
Prefer Saturdays through choice
Prefer Saturdays as cannot make Friday evening games

e) don't really have much of a preference
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:35 am

I'll go then...I would prefer a Saturday game.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:07 pm

I don't mind generally but probably prefer Friday evening games as less likely to miss them due to other commitments, holidays etc. So "1. Friday evening on choice" for me.

1. Prefer Friday evenings through choice
2. Prefer Fridays as cannot make Saturday Games
3. Prefer Saturdays through choice
4. Prefer Saturdays as cannot make Friday evening games
5. No preference happy with both
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Bit of 1 & 2 for me.

There is the other "the wife would go mental if I ate into the weekend, just about get away with it on a Friday" option.

With Scotland being obsessed with the round ball, it is easier to get air time on radio, tv and in papers if we avoid Saturdays, and Sundays now.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:11 pm

I'm mainly interested in this from the point of view of maximising attendances. Being one of them myself, I personally think for a certain "rugby interested" demographic (working parents), Fridays nights aren't as attractive.

The reasons might be petty for some diehards, but motivating yourself to sit/stand in the freezing wind/rain after a long week at work directly after work when there are family issues going on takes particular will power. I think it has to be made as accessible as possible. However, that needs to be balanced with the active players who attend who will presumably be lost. I'm not sure how many of those there are.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum