Mini Murrayfied

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Mini Murrayfied

Postby Wottie on Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:10 pm

It’s an odd one isn’t it, something this big you would expect an announcement from the club with details of the work commencement, programme etc. but nothing, not even anything in the news section of the clubs website. Bizarre. Maybe we can expect something during the break weeks for the AI’s?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:33 pm

I'm guessing that someone issued a news release, given that the media stories quoted SRU and a councillor. Can't find it with low intensity Googling, but most journalists these days don't find things out independently.

Noticed temp fencing being put up around the site today. Perhaps work will start prior to the AIs. Perhaps that was the trigger.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Hil on Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:59 pm

Slam the drop of victory
Hil
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:13 pm

The council officials will have signed an NDA so won’t be able to make comments to the investigation. :)
As a councillor he should really aware of what’s going on especially since the application was given considerable publicity at the outset.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:45 pm

Interesting bit of background noise reported in relation to the planning permission and this may explain the lack of any announcements about the planning and works by the club. There is a 6 week judicial review period on planning permissions granted during which consents can be challenged if due process / procedure has not been followed. That period does not expire for the mini-murrayfield consent until 2nd November so probably the intention was to wait for that until some journo picked up on it and ran the initial story earlier this week.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:58 pm

Wottie wrote:Interesting bit of background noise reported in relation to the planning permission and this may explain the lack of any announcements about the planning and works by the club. There is a 6 week judicial review period on planning permissions granted during which consents can be challenged if due process / procedure has not been followed. That period does not expire for the mini-murrayfield consent until 2nd November so probably the intention was to wait for that until some journo picked up on it and ran the initial story earlier this week.

That's a good point and probably does explain the relative radio silence. It'll be interesting to see whether this gets any traction. It would be very unfortunate if it were to delay the creation of the new venue.

I note that the councillor who has been voicing concerns is Mr McLellan, the journalist who edited the Scotsman for some time. He has written some pieces recently that are not exactly 100% in favour of the current SRU regime: https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/john-mclellan-sru-is-no-friend-of-grassroots-rugby-1-4775032 https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/opinion/john-mclellan-murrayfield-wanderers-to-go-a-wandering-1-4750402 and https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/opinion/john-mclellan-murrayfield-decision-is-a-real-game-changer-for-planning-1-4819353 He is not alone in that, of course, and he's entitled to his opinion.

I have some sympathy with where he's coming from, not least as I have had a slight connection with Murrayfield Wanderers myself for a few years, through my boys having enjoyed playing mini rugby there, and feeling that what has happened to precipitate their move to Roseburn Park is somewhere between unfortunate and just not right. I also see that one of his articles mentions how the Council's [in my view, very disappointing] redevelopment proposals for Meadowbank are unlikely to suit Edinburgh City FC and seems to suggest that perhaps they could play at mini-Murrayfield instead.

The reason for having a delegated process is so the planning system is not overburdened with councillors having to spend time on formal processes for uncontroversial applications, which would make it even more lengthy than it already is. On the face of it, it appears that the Council have acted correctly in delegating the authority to decide the application to officials, given that there were fewer formal representations than required to trigger councillor involvement (and of the six, three were neutral and one in favour). That there were so few objections for a planning application that had plenty of coverage in the local press would suggest that it does not raise significant issues of concern to the local community. Compare that with the public outrage over the decision by the Council to grant planning permission for a development in East Princes Street Gardens that has resulted in significant tree elimination in the last week or so. That seems to me to raise some important questions about the Council's processes, whether or not councillors were involved.

Insofar as I can understand what the Council Leader is actually quoted as saying, I also just don't see how erecting temporary stands on the same campus as a 67,000 seater stadium, where the club in question already plays its matches, can be described as 'strategic'.

Nor do I see how granting the application affects Council-owned land, other than positively. If the Wanderers' application to build a pavilion for a number of sporting clubs, including themselves, in Roseburn Park is refused, the SRU money for improving Council pitch provision will be spent elsewhere. If it is not spent in Roseburn Park in the end, it will be solely because the City of Edinburgh Council itself has refused planning permission for the Wanderers' application. That would seem to be something that is within councillors' control, rather than the SRU's.

What I would love to see at mini-Murrayfield is Murrayfield Wanderers being permitted to play there, using the facilities to be put in place. It's not obvious that there would be additional cost to the SRU or significant wear and tear. To my mind, it would be the right thing to do. I wonder whether that's what Councillor McLellan is really getting at. If so, then more power to his elbow.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Yonthing on Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:31 pm

Martin Bell wrote:...

Noticed temp fencing being put up around the site today. Perhaps work will start prior to the AIs. Perhaps that was the trigger.

Nope, that’ll be the West Fan Village for the Autumn Internationals
Yonthing
International

Postby Martin Bell on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:53 pm

Yonthing wrote:
Martin Bell wrote:...

Nope, that’ll be the West Fan Village for the Autumn Internationals

Good point!
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:20 pm

Any news on work starting?
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:01 pm

[quote="Pitfitter446"]Any news on work starting?[/quote

It looks like a lot of the plastic fencing surrounding the 4g pitch has been removed.
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:59 pm

I was told that it's still on schedule to be in place for the start of next season.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:13 pm

biffer wrote:I was told that it's still on schedule to be in place for the start of next season.

When and by whom? (not doubting, just curious)
STKS
International

Postby Wottie on Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:05 am

Think it was Ron that said the programme could be as little as 4 months given the nature of the scheme (plastic pitch + temp stands), so in theory they could leave it until after the 6N and make use of the car park and back pitches for the fan / hospitality areas and start post the Wales game on the 9th March. A 6 month programme would still see it ready for the opening game around the end of August. That would be my bet given where we are now.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:06 am

Not Mini Field, but Accies finally starting on their ground

Will have a 2500 stand but ability to go to 10k with temp seating.

Also sounds like they have the business side in place now as well.

https://theoffsideline.com/raeburn-plac ... ent-plans/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:21 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Not Mini Field, but Accies finally starting on their ground

Will have a 2500 stand but ability to go to 10k with temp seating.

Also sounds like they have the business side in place now as well.

https://theoffsideline.com/raeburn-plac ... ent-plans/

All sounds promising

The Super Six isn’t set in stone, perhaps Accies will break into it if they make a success of it all.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum