Mini Murrayfied

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Mini Murrayfied

Postby Yonthing on Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:40 pm

Wottie wrote:Also looks like there are no side or rear walls to the stands on the 3D visuals. That's going to be LawrenceBryce exposed in the depth of winter if it's the case. Hoping it's just artistic licence on the visuals but will check the plans in detail tonight at home.

07 Proposed Elevations in the notes confirms “end gable infills” and ”rear backdrop provided from roof to floor”, although I suspect there will be a “gap” of some description to stop the whole thing taking off in a strong wind.
Yonthing
International

Postby Ron on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:18 pm

Wottie wrote: Also looks like there are no side or rear walls to the stands on the 3D visuals. That's going to be LawrenceBryce exposed in the depth of winter if it's the case. Hoping it's just artistic licence on the visuals but will check the plans in detail tonight at home.

That was my first thought on looking at the artist impressions but further examination of the drawing notes does confirm it will have aluminium profile sheeting to roof and both gables.

As stated by others the toilet provision in the west stand in the main stadium is too far away as are the players facilities. On occasions players will need to walk over 200m to get to their changing rooms.

All stands are temporary construction which allows them to increase capacity quite readily.

If they would increase toilet provision at the east end to match the provision at the west end it would be pretty reasonable
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:18 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Had hoped for at least 1 perm stand with changing rooms/hospitality facilities. Also 50% of the toilet provision is within the main stadium. Have to assume that the players will use the changing rooms in there too? Not ideal both in terms of the walk to and from the pitch and also if there is an HIA it will take the 10 mins to get to and from the sheds!

So not ideal but a good start I think.

Are wanderers being kicked out? Whats happening with their clubhouse, its a good space and could work well as a base.

What’s happening to the clubhouse?

The original plan was to turn it into a media centre was it not?
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gone south on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:32 am

Ron wrote:On occasions players will need to walk over 200m to get to their changing rooms.

They’ll maybe be allowed to use their cars again.
gone south
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:12 am

Yonthing wrote:
Frenchy wrote:Linking directly to the application like this will only work temporarily.

The planning reference number is 18/02489/FUL, for anyone who needs to search for it.

Or just go the the Council planning page and search “Murrayfield” :lol:

The link directly to the application material in the initial post still works, but hey, whatever floats your boat YT!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 am

Yonthing wrote:
Wottie wrote:Also looks like there are no side or rear walls to the stands on the 3D visuals. That's going to be LawrenceBryce exposed in the depth of winter if it's the case. Hoping it's just artistic licence on the visuals but will check the plans in detail tonight at home.

07 Proposed Elevations in the notes confirms “end gable infills” and ”rear backdrop provided from roof to floor”, although I suspect there will be a “gap” of some description to stop the whole thing taking off in a strong wind.

Great thanks. Maybe we are getting a convertible stadium, so we can lift the sides when it gets too hot? :lol:
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:38 am

Ron wrote:On occasions players will need to walk over 200m to get to their changing rooms.

Think this is a small inconvenience for the quality of the facilities that they will have in the main stadium. Probably the ultimate model for a temporary stadium, the AMI Stadium in Christchurch, has a similar arrangement (although the tunnel / walk is a little shorter to be fair).

https://www.vbase.co.nz/venues/ami-stadium
https://www.google.com/search?q=ami+sta ... 8792374052
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Wottie wrote:

Think this is a small inconvenience for the quality of the facilities that they will have in the main stadium. Probably the ultimate model for a temporary stadium, the AMI Stadium in Christchurch, has a similar arrangement (although the tunnel / walk is a little shorter to be fair).

https://www.vbase.co.nz/venues/ami-stadium
https://www.google.com/search?q=ami+sta ... 8792374052

200m from the entrance to the West Stand is basically in the Water of Leith. Regardless, being worried about a professional athlete having to walk 200m is something of an over dramatised concern. It seems like a desperate attempt to find a criticism.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Players will be fine, but for Clancy, Wilkinson et al it is a long walk for them to learn the laws of rugby from disgruntled fans heading to the bar :twisted:
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:52 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Players will be fine, but for Clancy, Wilkinson et al it is a long walk for them to learn the laws of rugby from disgruntled fans heading to the bar :twisted:

:lol:

No coincidence Joubert's retired...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

!

Postby royc on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:09 pm

Impressed by the plans, very good use of space - thanks for the link Wottie, good man.

My guesswork was right on two elements, quite wrong on another. Right: (a) the pitch is east-west and (b) there is quite a lot of additional infrastructure, with a good concourse around the stadium and a tarmac car park in the coach park, which looks like about 180 parking spaces.

Wrong: The artist's impression LIED :roll: ( or my eyesight's failing :cry: ), mini-MF is not lined up with the West Stand flying buttresses at all, it is right up at the coach park end, so there will be three pitches, one in mini-MF and two north-south grass training ones. OK, crystal ball misfires occasionally

Can't really see many valid criticisms of the plan. The poor, underpaid players will I'd think manage to jog 150m from the West Stand OK, could usefully be programmed into their S&C :lol: The in-goal area looks a wee bit tight, is it 5m anyone who can read the fuzzy blow-ups? - still better than Myreside's 3.5! The toilet provision looks on the minimalist side, but that will be proven at the first home game and amendments no doubt made if needed.

I think the whole plan is a pretty brilliant initiative quite honestly, if anyone had suggested in the past that the SRU should put £5m into a new home stadium for Embra, they would gave been laughed out of court, quite rightly given the big cash sum. I think we should be very pleased with what's being offered and grab it with both hands.

It would of course be great to have one permanent stand, with corporate boxes, team changing rooms, supporters' bar, club offices etc, as Dolf L touches on, but that would be a seriously big investment which I guess would be well beyond what the SRU could possibly contemplate. Thinking through how it could be financed, the only practical way would be through financial contribution by interested parties - SportScotland, Scottish Executive, Edinburgh Cooncil, SRU (51% share), supporters - plus a public share sale.

Could the supporters/general public raise a significant sum towards it? If I give up my favourite restaurant for lent next year, I could scratch together £100 - otherwise it's a tenner! - get 5,000 people donating at the Lent level of abstinence and we'd have £1/2m quiddles to invest. Would ERSC consider developing such a supporters' initiative?
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:55 pm

See the 1st objection is up on the Planning Portal. Water of Leith Conservation Trust, although frustratingly all you can see is that it's an objection, no details of their grounds. Probably don't want a sports stadium in view from the Waters of Leith I guess ........... wait a minute!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:07 pm

Wottie wrote:See the 1st objection is up on the Planning Portal. Water of Leith Conservation Trust, although frustratingly all you can see is that it's an objection, no details of their grounds. Probably don't want a sports stadium in view from the Waters of Leith I guess ........... wait a minute!

Comments/objections are publicly available after the application has been approved/denied.

Often organisations like these will object to particular aspects of a development (for example, if there's too much car parking), rather than the entire proposal. Objections generally (if not always) need to be backed up by existing council policy (parking standards, for example), or they are easily "set aside".
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:59 pm

Hard to see what people would object about as it is hardly a change of use never mind a new build.

I suppose there will be floodlights nearer houses and more often but other than that.

A huge upsurge in no,bears attending would be nice but probably not all that likely!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:13 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Hard to see what people would object about as it is hardly a change of use never mind a new build.

I suppose there will be floodlights nearer houses and more often but other than that.

A huge upsurge in no,bears attending would be nice but probably not all that likely!

If we want more bears maybe we should give a discount to orange order members. Or patrons of CC's.
biffer
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum