Mini Murrayfied

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Mini Murrayfied

Postby liveinhope on Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:56 pm

Look its a beautiful setting down at Raeburn Place but can anyone explain why Accies need a 2500 seater stand (let alone temp seating up to 10k!) when I imagine their average crowd will be probably no more than 2/300? Even if they eventually make it into Super Six can't imagine crowds being more than high hundreds at best.
With "mini-Murrayfield" now going ahead I'm not aware of any other rugby matches it could be used forthat would need the extra capacity.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:25 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Not Mini Field, but Accies finally starting on their ground

Will have a 2500 stand but ability to go to 10k with temp seating.

Also sounds like they have the business side in place now as well.

https://theoffsideline.com/raeburn-plac ... ent-plans/

It was always my preferred option for Edinburgh but it took too long to sort out.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:31 pm

It doesm seem total overkill, I can only guess that in order to get the money making units in place they needed an excuse of the stand?

I see the logic of looking at what Exeter have done and treating it like a business, but Exeter had a realistic vision of being a pro team at the top end of English rugby and crowd of 10k. That is just totally unrealistic for Accies, now more than ever. If you look at it as a business then you woudl build no more than you need which would be a 500 seat stand, with the potential to put temps up in the odd occastion they need more.

It was always a non-starter due to location, with a large number of fans not coming from central edinburgh something on the South or West side was always going to make more sense.

Melrose are looking at a big redevelopment too, my worry is they both build white elephants and put their future in jeopardy.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby frillage on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:41 pm

liveinhope wrote:Look its a beautiful setting down at Raeburn Place but can anyone explain why Accies need a 2500 seater stand (let alone temp seating up to 10k!) when I imagine their average crowd will be probably no more than 2/300? Even if they eventually make it into Super Six can't imagine crowds being more than high hundreds at best.
With "mini-Murrayfield" now going ahead I'm not aware of any other rugby matches it could be used forthat would need the extra capacity.

Cricket?
frillage
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:46 pm

frillage wrote:
liveinhope wrote:Look its a beautiful setting down at Raeburn Place but can anyone explain why Accies need a 2500 seater stand (let alone temp seating up to 10k!) when I imagine their average crowd will be probably no more than 2/300? Even if they eventually make it into Super Six can't imagine crowds being more than high hundreds at best.

Cricket?

They have the grange cricket club next door who they had a lengthy legal wrangle with over the development...so yes anything to get revenge potentially.

I think unfortunately the delays make the question of its viability more relevant. Back when it was first announced it was what the city needed a flexible mid-size multi use venue. With Minifield on the horizon, it is potentially a competitor which is a shame although perhaps there is space for both a 2500 and 7500 seater venues to get use outwith rugby be it other sports or events (Dunno music?) guess we have not really had the venues in the past to know what may use them.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:09 pm

You have to assume they have a good reason for developing this stadium, but I certainly can't fathom what it is. On the face of it, it's just bonkers. Perhaps they have no intention of building it, but need it in their plans to get permission to develop the stuff they really want. Or perhaps they are just mad.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:34 pm

biffer wrote:I was told that it's still on schedule to be in place for the start of next season.

Anyone know if this is still the case? Has work started yet? It's usually dark by the time I get to that side of the ground, but I can't recall seeing anything that looks like a stadium construction taking place.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:40 pm

Not seen any evidence of work starting.

The Glasgow pitch went up in the closed season, and the temp stands can go up in a few days, so not panicking yet.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:13 am

The 6N 'fan village' is still in place for the heine QF assume works will need to wait until after that is away (unless needed for the SF) although the original info suggested there was little infrastructure work needed in terms of plumbing etc so new pitch would be the main job.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:31 pm

I heard a rumour from SRU circles that mini murrayfield is very much in doubt as a consequence of the budget being appropriated for something else
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:11 am

Cockers' war chest?
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:35 am

ratty wrote:I heard a rumour from SRU circles that mini murrayfield is very much in doubt as a consequence of the budget being appropriated for something else

Wish they would just come clean then, how many more years are we going to be subjected to league matches at Murrayfield, we definately more than ever need a smaller stadium to generate a better atmosphere
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:48 am

It's chicken and egg though, the atmosphere is more likely to come for a team with the likes of Watson and Mata than without, so if it lets us do that then there is a logic behind it.

Making a big song and dance about it then changing things without a good explanation it's a good look. If it has been decided then they need to go public quickly, The SRU leaks like a sieve.

Actuallay if it is true then they should have announced it before the new man was put in charge, if his first public announcement is not a popular one it puts him on the back foot straight away.

If we win then we will get an atmosphere in the big stadium, it is better already but we need to keep momentum, Friday will be interesting from that point of view.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:20 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:It's chicken and egg though, the atmosphere is more likely to come for a team with the likes of Watson and Mata than without, so if it lets us do that then there is a logic behind it.

Making a big song and dance about it then changing things without a good explanation it's a good look. If it has been decided then they need to go public quickly, The SRU leaks like a sieve.

Actuallay if it is true then they should have announced it before the new man was put in charge, if his first public announcement is not a popular one it puts him on the back foot straight away.

If we win then we will get an atmosphere in the big stadium, it is better already but we need to keep momentum, Friday will be interesting from that point of view.

I will take a rain check re the atmosphere, i reckon we will be out supported by Ulster with them having a much smaller contingent than us on Friday.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter446 on Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:48 pm

Some nights we could be outnoised by the deaf-mute society( no offence intended), I saw a women with a football rattle at the 1/4 final, that’s better than silence, we need “more roar” the team needs to know we’re behind them.
Pitfitter446
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum