Fixtures 18-19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Fixtures 18-19

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:13 pm

Pretty happy with the Friday evenings timings etc of the home games.

Tough start but a good chance to get a couple of tricky away games out the way early on. Get a good pre-season in and perhaps pick up some away points early on again.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:33 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Tough start but a good chance to get a couple of tricky away games out the way early on. Get a good pre-season in and perhaps pick up some away points early on again.

Yes, I at first thought great to get Ospreys and Ulster away right at the start of the season as they are both teams in fairly major transition. Then I remembered, so are we! Maybe a third warm up game might have been in order?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:18 pm

Wottie wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Tough start but a good chance to get a couple of tricky away games out the way early on. Get a good pre-season in and perhaps pick up some away points early on again.

Yes, I at first thought great to get Ospreys and Ulster away right at the start of the season as they are both teams in fairly major transition. Then I remembered, so are we! Maybe a third warm up game might have been in order?

Maybe but would say we are at least a year ahead of Ulster (has mcfarland been released?) if we have ambitions to improve we need to be winning these games or at very least taking some points.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:03 pm

What jumps out to me are the consecutive away fixtures Sunday 25th November (5.30) at Dragons then 5 days later Friday 30th November at Ulster (7.35) .Seems very unfair having both away with such a short turnaround -and with the next weekend being Europe could be faced with three consecutive away fixtures.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:09 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Wottie wrote:

Maybe but would say we are at least a year ahead of Ulster (has mcfarland been released?) if we have ambitions to improve we need to be winning these games or at very least taking some points.

McFarland is staying with Scotland until late January, I read that Simon Easterby is helping them out until then
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:03 am

I'm amazed Ulster arent stumping up the cash to get him in now. If you wanted to disrupt a season having 2 coaches with a pre planned change would be ideal. Not easy for the players as there is bound to be a change in style etc.

Good on the SRU for sticking to their guns though, he will be a huge loss and worth putting up a bit of a fight for.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:12 am

Just a wee gripe the fixtures on the website are really annoying in that they just have the opposition logo rather than the name. really hard to read on an ipad and low quality logos too so hard to zoom in.

I wondered why we were playing Real Madrid in a double header but it turns out it is the Kings!

With the Euro games usually being double headers in December, we will have 3 pairs of games in succession which is really odd. ALso is that not just before the Saffer teams stop playing for a few weeks as it is too hot?

Edit: I see there is a break between the two Madrid games, so likely Euro games in there.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:04 pm

With the experience of last year, we can say it now: Edinburg's conference is the hardest of the two. We don't know how Ulster will fare, but competing for the first two places with the best two sides of the competition, Leinster and Scarlets, is already an immense task !
With Kings and Dragons, we'll have two of the weakest sides in the tournament but none of the other games will be laughing matter.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:31 am

Agree to an extent need to remember the other teams in our conference now have a much better Edinburgh team to play against as well we were probably seen as easy points when the conferences were first draw.

I also think we will see a better Kings team this year, they played some good rugby last year and have not had the same issue scrambling to get a squad together certainly at home I think they make upset a few teams this season.

Plus if Benetton continue to improve it should be a really competitive conference this season
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:51 am

Not forgetting that the Dragons have recruited well with likes Moriarty and Hubbard in there ranks. Gonna be tough but certainly a top 3 finish should be achievable. Roll on September
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:56 am

germain wrote:With the experience of last year, we can say it now: Edinburg's conference is the hardest of the two. We don't know how Ulster will fare, but competing for the first two places with the best two sides of the competition, Leinster and Scarlets, is already an immense task !
With Kings and Dragons, we'll have two of the weakest sides in the tournament but none of the other games will be laughing matter.

Dragons will be decent this year - a lot of good signings and underperformed last year.

Scarlets will be weaker without Barclay and Beirne and then Pivac starting to think about Wales - like Glasgow dropped off when it was announced Toonie was off.

(1) Edinburgh (2) Leinster (3) Ulster for me.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:19 am

Would be delighted if that came true.

I think the international periods will be key for us. We have tended to do relatively well through those times in season past but I expect us to lose more players to Internationals this season with possibly more than our whole first choice pack being away at any one time plus Kinghorn and there is an opportunity for SQ wingers to put their hands up for selection. Good as our squad looks at present I think depth will be really tested.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:31 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Would be delighted if that came true.

I think the international periods will be key for us. We have tended to do relatively well through those times in season past but I expect us to lose more players to Internationals this season with possibly more than our whole first choice pack being away at any one time plus Kinghorn and there is an opportunity for SQ wingers to put their hands up for selection. Good as our squad looks at present I think depth will be really tested.

That's true but at the minute during internationals injury permitting: Schoeman Ford McCallum Carmichael/Toolis McKenzie Crosbie Hamilton Mata Pyrgos/Shiel Hickey vdM Socino AN Other Fife/Graham/Brown/Hoyland

Then you have more youth coming through, guys that don't make Scotland's match day 23. It's a strong squad for sure.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:54 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:

That's true but at the minute during internationals injury permitting: Schoeman Ford McCallum Carmichael/Toolis McKenzie Crosbie Hamilton Mata Pyrgos/Shiel Hickey vdM Socino AN Other Fife/Graham/Brown/Hoyland

Then you have more youth coming through, guys that don't make Scotland's match day 23. It's a strong squad for sure.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see Ford back in the Scotland set up, Japan will be his swansong and he'll be desperate to get there. Ironically he was playing some of his best rugby for years in the months before his injury.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:59 am

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see Ford back in the Scotland set up, Japan will be his swansong and he'll be desperate to get there. Ironically he was playing some of his best rugby for years in the months before his injury.

Me neither but he's competing with McInally, Brown and Turner. I think McInally and Brown will be matchday 23.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum