Edinburgh v Bath Friday 17th August @ Meggetland, 7:30 kick

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Bath Friday 17th August @ Meggetland, 7:30 k

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:03 pm

Strong starting team, should be a good group for Blain and Hodgson to get their first run outs with.

Looks a powerful pack, with a number of decent ball carriers.

Have we seen a Ritchie/Mata/Watson combination before? could be a real handful for Bath in attack and defence
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Great to see Tom Brown,Watson,Ford and Marfo all involved (and thus,presumably, fit).
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:20 pm

There are 2 promising Academy boys in the team:

Jack Blain, starting right wing, is a big 18-year old from Heriots, 6'3", 14+ stones and a fast guy with a step.
Calum Atkinson, lock, on the bench, is 18 I think and a lofty 6'10" tall (!). IIRC, he was a late-comer to rugby and was whizzed off to Stellenbosch last season to get up to speed, if I've got the right guy.

Jamie Hodgson, starting lock 4, is not in the Stage 3 Academy. He plays for Watsonians and was made U20 scrum captain when Robbie Smith was injured last season. I didn't see him play.

The two other new names on the bench are:

Jack Stanley is indeed the Exeter one in the above post, a 21 year old SQ tighthead, 1.88 m, 142 kg, so a big unit.
Mungo Mason is indeed the Scots-born Kiwi, a back row who played for NZ Schools Barbarians (aka 2nds) and has been playing last season in the USA for the Chicago then the San Diego franchise.

The friendlies are a good opportunity for the coaches (and supporters) to run their eye over these potential recruits. If they get more than a few minutes on the pitch.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:57 pm

6'10 :eek: holy moly

It's interesting Hodgson is there over Hunter-Hill who really needs gametime.

Presume Graham is injured? Hopefully not serious.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:02 am

Thanks for the info, Roy, I see there is a teaser on the club site for 12pm today, maybe one or two of those young lads are getting contracts, a big tighthead would always be welcome.

Hunter-Hill is among the replacements, FKL. I’m not sure too much can be read into Graham’s absence, there are already hunners of players there, hopefully he will be turning out againt Newvastle next week.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Hil on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:31 am

12pm today is the announcement of the Champions Cup fixtures
Slam the drop of victory
Hil
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 am

Anybody know it there are any plans to stream this match at all. I can’t get through to Edinburgh this evening but could watch it online if it was being streamed.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:53 am

djphilp wrote:Anybody know it there are any plans to stream this match at all. I can’t get through to Edinburgh this evening but could watch it online if it was being streamed.

I imagine if there are plans to stream the game it won't be announced until either the very last minute or until the match is sold out.

It would be nice for those of us who can't get there
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:05 am

Tichtheid wrote:
djphilp wrote:Anybody know it there are any plans to stream this match at all. I can’t get through to Edinburgh this evening but could watch it online if it was being streamed.

I imagine if there are plans to stream the game it won't be announced until either the very last minute or until the match is sold out.

It would be nice for those of us who can't get there

The club posted on twitter the game isn't going to be streamed etc, but there will be highlights up on the website at a later date. This was a few days ago to a similar question (if you want to look for it)
EWT spoons
International

Postby malkster1 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:19 pm

Very poor first half, multiple knock one, little idea in attack. Hickey well his best contribution was going off and even the scrum has been shocking. Tackled well though.
malkster1
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:24 pm

Meh think defence coaches of both sides will be happyish. Lot of rustiness to get shot of.

Highlight it ain't pishing down...yet
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:23 pm

Frenchy wrote:Team announced:

Brown
Jack Blain
Johnstone
Scott
VDM
Hickey
Kennedy

Schoeman
McInally
McCallum
Jamie Hodgson
Toolis
Ritchie
Watson
Mata

Replacements:
Sutherland, Cherry, Jack Stanley, Shiel, Fife, Taylor, Bennett, Socino, Dean, Baggott, Pyrgos, Nayalo, Mungo Mason, Hamilton, Hunter-Hill, Atkinson, Cecciarelli, Ford, Marfo

Have put full names of those I didn't recognise (Hodgson, Blain, Stanley, Mason). Think the first three are academy players. Did some online searching for Mungo Mason - born in Scotland, brought up in NZ, openside flanker previously with Waikato and the San Diego Legion (Major League Rugby).

Nice team !
I like to see Brown back and especially at full-back. Whatever you think of Bradley, he really had an eye for where to put players (Scott at 12, Laidlaw at 10, Brown at 15, Tonks at 15...) and he was a brilliant back coach. I think it's his best position. And we're seriously lacking options there.
Plus Cockerill seems to like beast wingers (Hoyland is not his favourite choice despite being pretty good last year). Glad to see Blain. Could be his breakthrough season.
Glad to see Ritchie at 6 too. He is not a pure 7, so his versality is a plus for him. And he has always been excellent at 6.
And lastly, glad to see Kennedy starting.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Lot of errors but not unexpected in first pre-season.

2nd half felt better, thought Baggott and Taylor showed up well
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:39 pm

Tom Brown stand out that is all
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Tom Brown stand out that is all

Good to hear.

Disappointing result, which of course means nothing when you lose, but important when you win preseason
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum