Edinburgh v Bath Friday 17th August @ Meggetland, 7:30 kick

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Bath Friday 17th August @ Meggetland, 7:30 k

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Not much to get too excited about, against what was a very physical Bath side. Although rustieness was to be expected, our ball retention was not good, and I think we had the ball ripped out of our hands 5 times. Defence was the most positive aspect, so lots to work on before the Ospreys game.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:35 am

Not too bothered about the established players as they'll be fine but how did the unknowns go?

How was Blaine, Hickey, Hodgson, Mungo, Atkinson, Natalie, Shiel, Baggot et al?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:09 am

Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:57 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Not too bothered about the established players as they'll be fine but how did the unknowns go?

How was Blaine, Hickey, Hodgson, Mungo, Atkinson, Natalie, Shiel, Baggot et al?

On the whole the youngsters did OK, but there were issues dealing with the speed, intensity and not least physicality of Bath. Given how young and inexperienced the youngsters were that's hardly a surprise.

None seemed daunted which is what you need to see.

I may be wrong but I thought Edinburgh were more experimental than Bath.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Glencorsegunner on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:36 am

Quite promising I thought, particularly 2nd half. Some really good inspirational play, unfortunately let down by too many poor ball retention/fumbling errors. Nice to see Hamish Watson back and in really good form.
Glencorsegunner
Embra Debut

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:46 am

I thought it was a reasonably good game given it was a first run out.

Bath looked massive in the first half but were quite linited in their play, they really just wanted an arm wrestle. OUr play was much more enterprising but a lot of dropped balls and miss places passes. Possibly most concerning was the amount of turnovers conceded.

Keeping track of the players wasn't easy as a lot of new faces and a tannoy that was pretty useless with the wind. I thought Kennedy looked sharp, Watson does what he does. Both Socinio and Scott looked decent and Fife made breaks. As I said hard to judge the youngsters and keep track of wh they were. The kiwi 7 looked a hardy player and CHH was robust around the field. Who was the right winger in the second half? Pacey and big, looked a threat. Interesting to see Dean on the wing, would have thought Johnstone would be more suited but he seemed to do ok.

Baggot did ok when he came on, struggled with decision making. Biggest disappointment was Pyrgos who seemed to slow things down and his passing was all over the place. Unless it was tactical to play a more forward orientated kicking game then he is was a real step down from Kennedy. I hope we see the good Pyrgos more often than that one. Hickey looked good and challenged the line a few times, not very big but will be good to see how he goes.

Biggest plus was 4200 for a pre-season game, that's a good start, hopefully everyone comes back and a few more this season.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:07 pm

When a fans nick name for a player at his previous club is ‘so slow’ you need to set your expectations accordingly
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:39 pm

To be fair I have called our 9s last year a lot worse!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:09 pm

I thought Pyrgos was much better than Kennedy last night, quicker to the breakdown, better kicking and passing. All in the eye of the beholder, as ever.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:13 pm

Interesting, I thought he was slower and passing wasn't great.

not an easy night to kick with the wind swirling. As you say different angles etc. I was on the terrace, I think you miss things there trying to see around heads etc!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby dunna on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:15 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I thought it was a reasonably good game given it was a first run out.

Bath looked massive in the first half but were quite linited in their play, they really just wanted an arm wrestle. OUr play was much more enterprising but a lot of dropped balls and miss places passes. Possibly most concerning was the amount of turnovers conceded.

Keeping track of the players wasn't easy as a lot of new faces and a tannoy that was pretty useless with the wind. I thought Kennedy looked sharp, Watson does what he does. Both Socinio and Scott looked decent and Fife made breaks. As I said hard to judge the youngsters and keep track of wh they were. The kiwi 7 looked a hardy player and CHH was robust around the field. Who was the right winger in the second half? Pacey and big, looked a threat. Interesting to see Dean on the wing, would have thought Johnstone would be more suited but he seemed to do ok.

Baggot did ok when he came on, struggled with decision making. Biggest disappointment was Pyrgos who seemed to slow things down and his passing was all over the place. Unless it was tactical to play a more forward orientated kicking game then he is was a real step down from Kennedy. I hope we see the good Pyrgos more often than that one. Hickey looked good and challenged the line a few times, not very big but will be good to see how he goes.

Biggest plus was 4200 for a pre-season game, that's a good start, hopefully everyone comes back and a few more this season.

George Taylor played right wing in the second half. Played with Melrose the last few season.

Kennedy looked very sharp. Fife looked dangerous but for me he has to back himself more to go past opposition, quit this dancing feet which just ends up getting tackled.
dunna
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Thanks, I like the look of Taylor then.

Agree Fife seems to hit the ball at pace then slow down to try and dance around them. When he did come onto the ball at pace he made good yards. He did have a bit of a brian fart wandering around in his own 22 in the second half. Still not sure what his best position is.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:54 pm

How did our scrum go?

Bath can be pretty strong there
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Generally pretty sound I think. One or 2 either way got a nudge on but would have said it was 50/50.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:07 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:I thought it was a reasonably good game given it was a first run out.

Pretty much agree I thought for a “friendly” it was a really physical, quite intense game, think in the past we have seen a bit more pre-season flair if you like but that looked a proper run out will do both sides good I would think. I think we generally handled the Bath power game pretty well especially when we have the likes of Gilchrist, Bradbury, Berghan to add back in and bring a bit more bulk to our side.

Was interesting to see Dean and Taylor on the wings both did pretty well (as did Blain with limited ball 1st half) and gives a bit more comfort that we have some more back 3 cover.

I actually thought Pyrgos did ok (and Kennedy) as you noted DL it looked to me like they changed tactic to use the wind when Pyrgos was on 2nd half and while some kicks were not quite right for me in general I thought both 9s provided better ball than we saw from SHC and Fowles for a lot of last season, both quicker away from rucks, and didn’t feel there was the same arm waving etc that we have seen. Great to see Kennedy making some breaks as well.

Turnovers and ball retention the big concern, not sure if players were looking to offload out of the tackle more or what, but felt like we knocked on a lot of ball between first contact and the player getting to ground without Bath really doing anything they just did not have to work that hard to win the ball back. Supporting of players on the break still not brilliant either with our players isolated and too often an easy turnover or pen for Bath.

Probably not PC in a world of player welfare but Duhan with ball in hand flattening the big Bath 4, drew a collective oooofff + cheer from the crowd.

Not a classic game of rugby but a good pre-season match with plenty of positives.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum