Edinburgh v Bath Friday 17th August @ Meggetland, 7:30 kick

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Bath Friday 17th August @ Meggetland, 7:30 kick

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:44 am

We played a closed doors match v London Scottish last week, not much info around about it expect a short video, but it means we don’t go in to this game totally cold.

Thoughts on a starting team? I think we will see a pretty strong starting XV with perhaps the Scottish internationals not starting since they were later into pre-season, lots of changes, new combinations, plenty to look forward to.

15. Graham
14. Fife
13. Scott
12. Soccino
11. DVM
10. Hickey
9. Pyrgos

8. Mata
7. Watson
6. Crosbie
5. Carmichael
4. McKenzie
3. Nel
2. Ford
1. Schoeman

Bench - lots

Injured - Barclay (not aware of any others at this stage)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Bath Friday 17th August @ Meggetland, 7:30 k

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:20 am

Injured - Dicko. Or have we written him off totally?
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:07 am

Edinburgh Shark wrote:Injured - Dicko. Or have we written him off totally?

I think if Dicko has missed this pre-season due to his continuing injury problems, we should expect the worst and that we won’t see him in an Edinburgh shirt again. Carrying an extra senior loosehead into the season also points to this outcome.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:42 am

Wottie wrote:

I think if Dicko has missed this pre-season due to his continuing injury problems, we should expect the worst and that we won’t see him in an Edinburgh shirt again. Carrying an extra senior loosehead into the season also points to this outcome.

I was going on the assumption he is fit. I am sure he was reported as being back in training at the end of last season but I know Cockerill has been quoted as saying he would be given time to make a decision on his future. I would have thought that would have been done by now unless he needs a match to make the call one way or another.

While we appear to have a good number of LHs in Dell, Marfo, Schoeman, Dickinson and Sutherland our 4 Scottish internationals have all had pretty long term injury issues over the last few seasons and we could easily have 2 away on International duty and 1 or more injured at any one time, would like to think with the 5 that we have we have plus McCallum able to cover and any academy props that are good enough we have the depth to see us remain competitive throughout the season.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:32 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Wottie wrote:

I was going on the assumption he is fit. I am sure he was reported as being back in training at the end of last season but I know Cockerill has been quoted as saying he would be given time to make a decision on his future. I would have thought that would have been done by now unless he needs a match to make the call one way or another.

While we appear to have a good number of LHs in Dell, Marfo, Schoeman, Dickinson and Sutherland our 4 Scottish internationals have all had pretty long term injury issues over the last few seasons and we could easily have 2 away on International duty and 1 or more injured at any one time, would like to think with the 5 that we have we have plus McCallum able to cover and any academy props that are good enough we have the depth to see us remain competitive throughout the season.

You are talking pish TFG! :roll: got to love the timing
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:19 pm

TFG :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:20 pm

If you look at the club's website, you'd not know we are playing Bath this Friday (unless I'm going blind). No mention of it on the Home page, Fixtures page or Tickets page. I don't like to knock the club, but that's a pretty dismal effort. Don't they want anyone to know about this game?
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:00 pm

Maybe we have sold so many season tickts that there is no room for anyone else?

Would be nice ..
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:47 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Maybe we have sold so many season tickts that there is no room for anyone else?

Would be nice ..

Should have stuck it in the festival guide, bound to have got some bewildered tourists along.

Probably not worth spending much marketing money on promoting a match that is likely to be pretty full with only a small number of fans. What do we think ST numbers are 1500-1600 maybe a few hundred extra with the free U16 so 1800-1900ish ? With Meggetland only holding about 3000 there is not much value in spending a lot of cash/effort for this match especially if they have to go on the basis all STs will attend…which they almost certainly wont.

Still absolutely no excuse for the lack of visibility on the clubs own website.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby malkster1 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:55 pm

Anyone know if you can buy a ticket on the night?
malkster1
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:18 pm

Yes you can. I confirmed this with the ticket office earlier this week.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Still absolutely no excuse for the lack of visibility on the clubs own website.

By the looks of things the whole server for the SRU, Embra and Weedgie sites has fallen down a hole unnoticed
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:08 pm

Team announced:

Brown
Jack Blain
Johnstone
Scott
VDM
Hickey
Kennedy

Schoeman
McInally
McCallum
Jamie Hodgson
Toolis
Ritchie
Watson
Mata

Replacements:
Sutherland, Cherry, Jack Stanley, Shiel, Fife, Taylor, Bennett, Socino, Dean, Baggott, Pyrgos, Nayalo, Mungo Mason, Hamilton, Hunter-Hill, Atkinson, Cecciarelli, Ford, Marfo

Have put full names of those I didn't recognise (Hodgson, Blain, Stanley, Mason). Think the first three are academy players. Did some online searching for Mungo Mason - born in Scotland, brought up in NZ, openside flanker previously with Waikato and the San Diego Legion (Major League Rugby).
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:18 pm

Jack Blain is a winger I think just out of school - strong powerful lad. Hodgson played for the 20s - but I thought was underwhelming and Jupp, Johnson and Sykes were better.

Thanks for the info on Mason, no idea about Stanley.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:40 pm

If it's the same lad, Jack Stanley is a young (22) English prop. Seems to have been quite highly rated when he was coming through at exeter (based on their forums). However he was let go, so no idea if that high rated'ness* was justified

*yes it's a word....just don't google it, or look for it anywhere

EDIT - Rugby paper article from 3 years ago, I assume given he was 18/19 when it was published he's possibly grown/got bigger since:

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/feature ... eter-prop/

Schoolboy Jack Stanley knew he was going to pack down alongside grown men when he made his debut for Taunton three weeks ago but he was not expecting to replace someone 30 years older than him.

The tighthead, 18, was called from the bench against Old Elthamians to take over from former Plymouth Albion forward Marc Manton who is still turning out in National League Two South at the age of 48.

Stanley is part of the Exeter academy while his dual-registration with the Titans allows him to acquire vital experience.

But it was not his first taste of senior rugby as the 6ft, 130kg (20st 6lb) prop made his first team debut against Gloucester in the LV=Cup in November while being involved in the A-League.

“I was just about to turn 18 for that game against Old Elthamians so it was pretty surreal to be honest,” he told The Rugby Paper. “Mants is going great, to be fair, and seeing youngsters coming through is pushing him on.

“I’m really enjoying it at Taunton. They have a lot of experienced players and I always come back to Exeter with something to improve about my game.

“Playing with grown men is different than at school. I can’t just turn up and expect to dominate people so I often take five minutes before the game to make sure I’m in the right state of mind to play senior rugby.

“I’ve had a bit of experience already but I remember being petrified going into my first scrum at training during pre-season. I gave everything I had and it went ok so I just kept going from that. I’m working a lot on conditioning with Rob Beddard to make sure I’m ready for senior rugby.”

Stanley started playing at Helston RFC, aged 7, before switching to football two years later. But at 12, he returned to rugby, joining Penzance Pirates and he hasn’t looked back since. Selection for England South U16s at the Wellington Festival put him on Exeter’s radar.

He is now training full-time with the first team and learning to be far more than just an old-school scrummaging tighthead.

He said: “I didn’t know anything about the Chiefs when they approached me. I went for a couple of training sessions and it kicked on from there. I ended up playing for England U16s that year and then officially joined the Chiefs.

“Props used to be all about scrummaging, back in the day, but it’s not the case now and the Chiefs’ coaching staff drill that into your head all week.

“There is always something to do on the pitch whether it’s carrying, tackling or just making sure you’re holding the defensive line.

“If I find myself doing nothing I know I’m doing something wrong.

“It’d be great to get involved in the LV=Cup again.

“I’m also hoping to make the tour to South Africa with England U18s after missing out last summer.

“It’d be another great experience to scrummage against South Africans who tend to be pretty big.”
EWT spoons
International

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum