Newcastle v Edinburgh Friday 24 August, kick-off 7.45pm

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Newcastle v Edinburgh Friday 24 August, kick-off 7.45pm

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:58 pm

Head Coach Richard Cockerill has named an experienced side for tomorrow night’s pre-season friendly against English Premiership side Newcastle Falcons at Kingston Park (Friday 24 August, kick-off 7.45pm).

The starting XV – which features six changes to the side that faced Bath last weekend – includes 10 Scotland internationalists, four of whom are club centurions.

Dougie Fife is named at fullback after his Man of the Match performance from the bench against Bath six-days-ago, and completes a back-three featuring wingers Tom Brown and Duhan van der Merwe.

Mark Bennett gets the nod at outside centre and starts alongside Matt Scott in a midfield totalling 61 Scotland appearances.

At half-back, Henry Pyrgos is named at scrum-half following a cameo performance against Bath last weekend. He features alongside South African stand-off Jaco van der Walt.

Cockerill names an unchanged front-row as newly appointed captain Stuart McInally packs down alongside Pierre Schoeman and Murray McCallum.

In the second-row, Fraser McKenzie returns to action to partner Ben Toolis, whilst Hamish Watson, Luke Hamilton and Bill Mata form a combative back-row.

Elsewhere, Juan Pablo Socino is named amongst the replacements and if involved will face his former side for whom he scored 166 points in 87 appearances.

Scotland Sevens star Jamie Farndale is also included on the bench alongside Fosroc Academy products Jamie Hodgson, Callum Atkinson and Jack Blain.

On his selection, Cockerill, said: “It was good to finally get a hit out against Bath last weekend and we’re looking forward to test ourselves against a Newcastle Falcons side who were really impressive in their win over Leinster.

“We showed plenty of positives against Bath in both the way we attacked and defended, so there’s a lot to build on as we prepare for what is set to be a testing start to the Guinness PRO14 season.”

Edinburgh team to face Newcastle Falcons in pre-season at Kingston Park this Friday 24 August (kick-off 7.45pm)

15. Dougie Fife

14. Tom Brown

13. Mark Bennett

12. Matt Scott

11. Duhan van der Merwe

10. Jaco van der Walt

9. Henry Pyrgos

1. Pierre Schoeman

2. Stuart McInally CAPTAIN

3. Murray McCallum

4. Fraser McKenzie

5. Ben Toolis

6. Luke Hamilton

7. Hamish Watson

8. Bill Mata

Replacements: Allan Dell, WP Nel, Ross Ford, Callum Hunter-Hill, Callum Atkinson, Jamie Ritchie, Luke Crosbie, Senitiki Nayalo, Sean Kennedy, Jason Baggott, Jamie Farndale, Juan Pablo Socino, James Johnstone, Chris Dean, George Taylor, Jamie Hodgson, Charlie Shiel, Pietro Ceccarelli, Dave Cherry and Jack Blain.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Newcastle v Edinburgh Friday 24 August, kick-off 7.45pm

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:01 pm

Newcastle have 2 squads playing this weekend

Newcastle Falcons team to face Edinburgh (Friday, 7.45pm, Kingston Park Stadium)

15 Simon Hammersley

14 Vereniki Goneva

13 Chris Harris

12 Johnny Williams

11 Adam Radwan

10 Toby Flood

9 Sam Stuart

1 Sami Mavinga

2 George McGuigan

3 Logovi'i Mulipola

4 Will Witty

5 Sean Robinson

6 Mark Wilson

7 Will Welch (captain)

8 Callum Chick

Replacements

2 Santiago Socino

1 Adam Brocklebank

17 David Wilson

18 Tevita Cavubati

19 Glen Young

16 Simon Uzokwe

20 Tom Marshall

21 Sonatane Takulua

22 Joel Hodgson

23 Sinoti Sinoti

12 Josh Matavesi

15 Alex Tait

EDIT: Saw this on Falcons website as well

Davidson in Glasgow loan move

Thursday 23 August 2018

Newcastle Falcons back-five forward Andrew Davidson has joined Glasgow Warriors on loan.

The two-month deal will see the Glasgow native earning valuable game time, Davidson going into immediate contention for the Scottish club.

Director of rugby Dean Richards said: "This loan deal makes sense for both parties as it allows Andrew the opportunity of some quality game time, and eases Glasgow's need for forward resources."
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Wonder how bad Hickey's injury is?

Interesting Schoeman is getting so much gametime. Just played a super rugby season whereas Dell, Sutherland and Marfo haven't had much rugby.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:21 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Wonder how bad Hickey's injury is?

I read it was not too serious.

But what about Fenton, Nel, Berghan, Carmichael, Bradbury, Miller, Fowles, Graham, Kinghorn and Hoyland who are yet to be seen ?
germain
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:28 am

germain wrote:

But what about Fenton, Nel, Berghan, Carmichael, Bradbury, Miller, Fowles, Graham, Kinghorn and Hoyland who are yet to be seen ?

Read same re Hickey being rested this week after a slight knock last week.

Nel involved tonight, Berghan, Carmichael, Bradbury, Kinghorn, Gilchrist were all on summer tour and played a fair bit (Mcinally only 1 game) so back later to pre-season and maybe not yet up to speed.

Thought we may have seen Graham at some point.

Hoyland had surgery at end of last season/close season so assume not back to full fitness, think Fenton may have had an op as well at some point(?)

Miller - not in 7s squad or on our team bio's is he still with ER? I know he was contracted for this season but no sign of him anywhere
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:14 am

The Feral Goat wrote:
germain wrote:

Read same re Hickey being rested this week after a slight knock last week.

Nel involved tonight, Berghan, Carmichael, Bradbury, Kinghorn, Gilchrist were all on summer tour and played a fair bit (Mcinally only 1 game) so back later to pre-season and maybe not yet up to speed.

Thought we may have seen Graham at some point.

Hoyland had surgery at end of last season/close season so assume not back to full fitness, think Fenton may have had an op as well at some point(?)

Miller - not in 7s squad or on our team bio's is he still with ER? I know he was contracted for this season but no sign of him anywhere

He was included in the pro-player draft (taken by Edinburgh Accies) and listed as Edinburgh Rugby on that. Tough position to be in with the number of experienced players Edinburgh have already got in the back row and then more continuing to come through from the Academy. He could do with getting a few games under his belt this season to keep progressing.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Wouldn't read much in to Miller not being listed on our website. Don't think I can ever remember a time the squad page has ever been up to date and accurate!

Sad to say I don't see Miller making it. Been a pro for a few years now without ever featuring in a match day squad. If he was going to make the breakthrough you have to think he would have done so by now
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:19 pm

The Nudger wrote:Wouldn't read much in to Miller not being listed on our website. Don't think I can ever remember a time the squad page has ever been up to date and accurate!

Sad to say I don't see Miller making it. Been a pro for a few years now without ever featuring in a match day squad. If he was going to make the breakthrough you have to think he would have done so by now

He only signed as a pro at the start of last season. This season is when he needs to step up.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:56 pm

biffer wrote:
The Nudger wrote:Wouldn't read much in to Miller not being listed on our website. Don't think I can ever remember a time the squad page has ever been up to date and accurate!

He only signed as a pro at the start of last season. This season is when he needs to step up.

He had a season at London Scottish before Edinburgh. I am not sure what his contract status was.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Weegie wrote:
biffer wrote:

He had a season at London Scottish before Edinburgh. I am not sure what his contract status was.

He was part of the scheme to have academy players at LS.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:22 pm

Miller was part of the match day squad for the play off quarter final against Munster, 'though he was the only player to not feature on the park, iirc.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:34 pm

Sounds like a good performance from the team tonight, but more than that to go away and get the win ahead of being back for the champions Cup is a big plus.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:38 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Sounds like a good performance from the team tonight, but more than that to go away and get the win ahead of being back for the champions Cup is a big plus.

Sounds like the pack especially went well.

Great win on the road
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:02 pm

Very difficult to read too much from friendly games, but nonetheless that's a confidence-building result, away to a top English club. Sounds like our defence is in good shape (it was good against Bath last week as well), and we're heading into the new season in positive fashion.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:55 pm

This in offside line article suggests Bradbury has perhaps been injured.

'Edinburgh will now travel to Swansea on Friday night with a winning wind at their back. With Blair Kinghorn, Grant Gilchrist, Simon Berghan, Simon Hickey and hopefully Magnus Bradbury all due to come back into the fray...'
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum