Ospreys v Edinburgh Fri 31 Aug 19:35 (PremSports2)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Ospreys v Edinburgh Fri 31 Aug 19:35 (PremSports2)

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:11 pm

At Liberty Stadium, Swansea, 7.35pm.

Referee: John Lacey (IRFU, 71st competition game)

Assistant Referees: Sean Gallagher (IRFU), Wayne Davies (WRU) Citing Commissioner: Ray Wilton (WRU)

TMO: Tim Hayes (WRU)

Hopefully a couple of tough pre-season matches should stand us in good stead going into a tricky away test to start the new season, we have not won away to the Ospreys since 2009 (!) so this is exactly the sort of game we need to be winning if we are looking to continue to progress. I expect we will see as strong as squad as possible to try and build some early season momentum.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Ospreys v Edinburgh Fri 31 Aug 19:35 (PremSports2)

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:14 pm

It will be a good barometer of where we are.

like Ulster they cant really be as bad as they were last year. They have lost a lot of quality in the half backs but brought in Scott WIlliams and George North, so not exactly a weakening elsewhere.

A lot of pressure on Sam Davies now, but he has looked a good prospect for a while.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:13 pm

Could be a good barometer .......

.... but all bets off with Lacey in charge :roll:
zt1903
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:13 pm

It will be very interesting to see Cockers' team selection. The forwards just about self-select, even if we do have tremendous strength and competition for places throughout the pack. The backs selection is more open, I'd think a back 3 of Kinghorn, Fife and van der Merwe, with maybe Tom Brown on the bench, Bennett and Scott in the centre, with either Hickey or van der Walt at 10 and Henry P at 9, with Kennedy or Fowles on the bench.

We need to see a lot more from out backs this season, we have as good a line-up as we have had for years. We know they can create or score good individual tries, but not nearly enough of them last season compared to our peers. I hope we will see the green shoots of some more coordinated attack by the three-quarters and some training ground attacking moves. The way the forwards were playing as the season went on points to quick ball and good support running, now we need to see what the backs coaches can do with this promising new crew.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:14 am

I hate to say this, as in full flow he is a fantastic player, but Bennet is living off reputation at the moment. I would go with either Socino and Scott or Scott and Johnston. The great thing is we have the luxury of options which we haven't had for a long time.

Really hope Hickey is fit, on form he is what we have been needing for a long time, VDW is a good player but I think Hickey is a cut above.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:39 am

We have Dean as well who I thought was really good last season ran some good lines and his decision making and offloading was much imporved, would quite like to see him and Scott together.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:48 am

It will be a tough game away to the Os and they will be bouncing with North and Williams in the team. I suspect they will also be thinking they will have a dominant pack and will be very powerful. The likes of Wynn Jones will have benefitted from a quieter off season whereas last year they struggled post Lions Tour. Being realistic it will be a close game and a LB might be a good result. I think the key area for both teams will be the 9-10 fulcrum with both fielding new combinations. As for us I think we have strengthened whereas the Os are considerably weaker this season. I haven't seen enough of Hickey to make a judgement yet, he has the pedigree but I will reserve judgement until he has shown us what he has in a competitive game. I hope he brings the missing ingredient we have been missing but in VdW we have a more than able 10 for us to win.

If we do win then our defence needs to be on its toes the whole night, I suspect the Os will be looking to bring North and Williams in to their attack off of fast ball and hitting angles testing our outside channels. We will need to be aggressive in defence and vigilant for them attacking from 1st phase ball.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:19 am

Ospreys do have a new coach and a lot of new players coming in too.

With their Welsh internationals they should be good. But we have a year of Cockers under our belts and a better squad than last year.

I expect a close game and hope to nick a win by a point or two.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:53 am

doedin wrote:. I suspect they will also be thinking they will have a dominant pack and will be very powerful. .

they can think what they like but outside AWJ and Tiperic their pack is decidedly average at best and no Arhip to shore up the set scrum There is no way Edinburgh should not dominate up front. If Ospreys can get the better of that battle it could be a long season
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:56 am

joe soap wrote:
doedin wrote:. I suspect they will also be thinking they will have a dominant pack and will be very powerful. .

they can think what they like but outside AWJ and Tiperic their pack is decidedly average at best and no Arhip to shore up the set scrum There is no way Edinburgh should not dominate up front. If Ospreys can get the better of that battle it could be a long season

:above: This. On paper anyway, I don't think there is a pack in the league that would look at us and think they would get the better of us up front this season. The depth in the front and back row in particular is outstanding.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:03 pm

Team's up

Kinghorn, Fife, Bennett, Scott, VdM, Hickey, Pyrgos
Schoeman, McInally, Beghan, Gilchrist, Toolis, Hamilton, Mata, Watson

Ford, Dell, McCallum, McKenzie, Ritchie, Kennedy, VdW, Johnstone

Interesting back row selection, presumably speed on the flanks to combat and negate Tipuric is the intention.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Not much to argue with to be honest. Looks a strong team, RoyC pretty much spot on in the backs.

Is Nel still injured?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:08 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Not much to argue with to be honest. Looks a strong team, RoyC pretty much spot on in the backs.

Is Nel still injured?

Nope, played about 30 minutes v Newcastle.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:09 pm

No Nel in the squad and would have thought Sochino or Dean would have been a better bench option with Scott and Bennett both accomplished 13's. Expected Bradbury to feature ahead of Hamilton but hopefully this is all tactical or clever squad rotation stuff in play as opposed to injuries. That's a properly strong team. Really excited for tomorrow night. Always love the season before a RWC. They are always epic and the games have a real edge to them.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:20 pm

Them

15 Dan Evans

14 George North

13 Scott Williams

12 Owen Watkin

11 Hanno Dirksen

10 Luke Price

9 Aled Davies

1 Nicky Smith

2 Scott Otten

3 Tom Botha