Ospreys v Edinburgh Fri 31 Aug 19:35 (PremSports2)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Ospreys v Edinburgh Fri 31 Aug 19:35 (PremSports2)

Postby Jockybadger on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:44 am

Quite simply too many errors.

Too often kept it tight, simply playing to the Ospreys strengths (Lydiate, Tipuric, AWJ)

Can't VDW play 12, it would seem the best solution as he can be 2nd 5/8.

Big Jim Hamilton said that Berghan has lost 2 stone, interesting if he has........ If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The last driving maul seemed to be the 1st "bunch" of guys mauled forward leaving the "bunch" of guys with the ball behind, looked like 2 mauls.
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:32 am

[quote="Jockybadger"
The last driving maul seemed to be the 1st "bunch" of guys mauled forward leaving the "bunch" of guys with the ball behind, looked like 2 mauls.[/quote]

That last maul was one of the clearest yellow card offences that you'll see this season. Adam Beard (19) rolls round the far side of the maul and pulls it down as it's advancing (at a decent speed) towards the line.

TonySpreadbury poor officiating on all counts, but on a par with the general standard of rugby throughout the game so the result is entirely our own fault.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:20 am

bignose wrote:
That last maul was one of the clearest yellow card offences that you'll see this season. Adam Beard (19) rolls round the far side of the maul and pulls it down as it's advancing (at a decent speed) towards the line.

TonySpreadbury poor officiating on all counts, but on a par with the general standard of rugby throughout the game so the result is entirely our own fault.

I agree on the maul, that decision was awful, but it wasn’t why we lost. The lack of ball retention and poor discipline were bigger factors, hopefully that is ring rust.

Plus points for Schoeman’s carrying, Watson being Watson and Matt Scott looking dangerous on the crash.

Ritchie is a better player than Hamilton in my view
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:49 am

I'd be interested in any expert views on the scrummaging (Tichtheid?). Bit of a shock when pushed backed and penalised on the Os first put-in,then happened again later thought looked like they were wheeling it round possibly.Things seemed better wuth Macallum on.Was it Bergham or whole range of factors? Pity when Schoemann looked so good-certainly in the loose.
Must say despite the disappointment pretty impressed by the Premier Sports coverage of the game.Excellent picture quality and good impartial commentary.Not sure who was the Welshman-at first sounded like Jonathan Dasvies but clearly not-he seemed fairly unbiased and very fair to us which was not usually the case with Welsh commentators/summarisers.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:01 pm

Premier coverage was good Sean holly was the Welsh co-comentator.

Said berghan had lost 10kg I am fairly certain he lost similar last season so could be 20kg down from when he first arrived and was a scrum machine but little else. Schoeman looks a fair bit more powerful than our other loose heads could a combination of those factors have unbalanced things a little.

McCallum impressed in pre-season and again last night hopefully he gets plenty of game time this season.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:49 pm

Don't know that I'd class myself as having an expert opinion, there are top level pundits like Flatman who often see completely different things to me at the scrum, basically it's impossible to tell what is going on sometimes - the six guys involved in the front row will each have their own opinions on a particular scrum too.

Having said that, Berghan is said to have issues with keeping focussed sometimes, and that would seem compatible with our scrum going back twice in a game where it is was otherwise evenly matched - if you are not 100% switched on you can get caught out.

McCallum did seem to offer an improvement when he came on.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:01 pm

Thanks.I'll be interested to see how the Glasgow front row copes this afternoon.They've always found the two Connacht props-Buckley and Bealham -quite a handful to deal with.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Mitch on Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:19 pm

biffer wrote:Last maul was a nonsense,the usual Lacey not wanting to make a decision against a big team thing.

But the loss is on us,on our mistakes. Any effect can make an error and change a game by a score. A good team puts itself in a position where that doesn't matter. Given our possession in their 22, the only difference that last maul should have made was whether or not we got the try bonus point.

No, the only difference that last maul should have made was whether or not we won the game. In all probability would a try have been scored ? ...well the Ospreys, and in particular their no.19 thought so !

Yes, we made too may mistakes, but in the last minute we were denied the winning score The team that scores the most points deserves to win the game. If the last maul had been referred to the TMO then that could have, maybe should have been us.
Mitch
Established pro

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:18 pm

liveinhope wrote:Thanks.I'll be interested to see how the Glasgow front row copes this afternoon.They've always found the two Connacht props-Buckley and Bealham -quite a handful to deal with.

Buckley is a brilliant scrummager, imo, he’d have bucketfuls of caps if he offered as much as Leinster’s looseheads around the park

edit - having said that, Zander is giving him a bit of a doing this afternoon
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:57 pm

Mitch wrote:
biffer wrote:Last maul was a nonsense,the usual Lacey not wanting to make a decision against a big team thing.

But the loss is on us,on our mistakes. Any effect can make an error and change a game by a score. A good team puts itself in a position where that doesn't matter. Given our possession in their 22, the only difference that last maul should have made was whether or not we got the try bonus point.

No, the only difference that last maul should have made was whether or not we won the game. In all probability would a try have been scored ? ...well the Ospreys, and in particular their no.19 thought so !

Yes, we made too may mistakes, but in the last minute we were denied the winning score The team that scores the most points deserves to win the game. If the last maul had been referred to the TMO then that could have, maybe should have been us.

Point is if we had played anywhere near our potential it’d be irrelevant. Can’t blame the ref for losing when we play pish.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:22 am

I noticed the Ford errors too. You would hope a player of his experience would come on at a crucial stage and hit his jumpers. Then again we've seen if before. Agree that Ritchie is better than Hamilton at 6
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:52 am

We are only showing as having lost 1 of 26 Lineouts, yet Ford appears to be an easy target for some folk the comments on FB etc are ridiculous. There is more to a successful lineout than just the throw, both the lifters and jumpers had changed around the same time as Ford. There was one in particular, not sure who threw caught etc, but ball was caught and fired off the top and bounced off our players head it was just poor.

Other stats of note

VDM got the ball 3 time and made 5 metres one of our top attacking weapons yet we largely failed to involve him.

Bennett showing as 5 missed tackles, there were 20 in total by the team 79% completion rate is not good enough.

Turned over 18 times (Ospreys 16)

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/matchstats? ... gue=270557
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum