Ulster v Edinburgh 7Sep 19:35 (Premier Sports 1)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Ulster v Edinburgh 7Sep 19:35 (Premier Sports 1)

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:06 pm

I agree Dolf. Van Der Walt remains a question mark but improved as the season went.

Scott needs to be used correctly, he's much better at cutting angles and running good lines than smashing into contact. It's no surprise his best season came for Gloucester when he was looking for space. I agree - would like to see him and Socino.

Bennett hasn't been good for us either. Would rather JJ was at 13!

Connacht are looking handy and this year will come down to home and away splits. Ospreys horsed the Cheetahs. Anyone (bar Drags and Zebre) can beat anyone.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby TheSmidge on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:13 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:The first thing that VDW brought was that he was fit and available which Weir and Tovey werent.

Whether he is a better player than them remains to be seen. He is certainly a good backup, which Tovey and Weir also were but I dont thikn good enough to be first choice if we want to be a top 4 team in the league. He has good points and bad points like anyone else. One of the issues I thought last year was that when he was goal kicking his confidence in the rest of his game seemed to drop. He isnt a really top end kicker and I think Hickey has shown that he can fulfil that role. Where we may miss SHC the most is in that department.

Kicking was VDW's biggest weakness last season, particularly early on. I watched a bit of Sale v Worcester yesterday and Dunc was doing some pretty good tactical kicking. One kick-off that dropped right on the money in the 2nd half comes immediately to mind. However, Worcester chucked it by continually fluffing the good field position he was giving them by mucking up the line outs.
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby dunna on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Bennett out till the new year with a ruptured hamstring.
dunna
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:34 am

dunna wrote:Bennett out till the new year with a ruptured hamstring.

lot of chat about the clear out that caused it being an illegal 'Croc roll', either way gutting for him appears to only get bad injuries.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:26 am

Poor guy, I hope it's not as serious as it sounds

I read that Bill Mata is doubtful for this weekend, will Bradbury be available? There was a mention that he was playing club rugby this week just gone
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:02 am

Tichtheid wrote:I read that Bill Mata is doubtful for this weekend, will Bradbury be available? There was a mention that he was playing club rugby this week just gone

If Mata and Maggie are not ready then I guess we might get a look at our other Fijian wrecking ball? Do either of Ritchie or Crosbie play at 8?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:06 am

Wottie wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I read that Bill Mata is doubtful for this weekend, will Bradbury be available? There was a mention that he was playing club rugby this week just gone

If Mata and Maggie are not ready then I guess we might get a look at our other Fijian wrecking ball? Do either of Ritchie or Crosbie play at 8?

Didn't Hamilton go to 8 when Crosbie came on against Ulster?

Watson will be back this week, hopefully
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:09 am

Tichtheid wrote:Didn't Hamilton go to 8 when Crosbie came on against Ulster?

Watson will be back this week, hopefully

Yes Hamilton is an accomplished 8, I guess I was just thinking he's a Scotland squad member and he's gone two full on hard away games already and may be in line for rotation? I thought he had an excellent game in Belfast after a difficult and error strewn performance against the Ospreys. He got us over the gain line when Mata went off.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:50 am

Bradbury played for Melrose last weekend so should be available, Ally Miller, still not heard anything on him this season and he has not been playing for Accies. Lewis Carmichael not been involved either so far if I recall correctly but can play 6 if required
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:09 pm

dunna wrote:Bennett out till the new year with a ruptured hamstring.

Being reported now as fully ruptured hamstring and season over. Poor chap horrible couple of years with injury.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum