Ulster v Edinburgh 7Sep 19:35 (Premier Sports 1)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Ulster v Edinburgh 7Sep 19:35 (Premier Sports 1)

Postby STKS on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:07 pm

Really worried for Bennet, same leg as his ACL injury, looked to be knee again. Might be another 9-12 months out if he's done it again. Comes a week after Duncan Taylor does his ACL for sarries and things are looking thin for the RWC already.
STKS
International

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:13 pm

doedin wrote:Probably not but we are not the world beaters some think we are! Let’s win our home games and learn how
To win away. We have a strong squad but have a way to go to win away games, mostly mentally. Our pack isnt a world beater nor are our backs the ABs! They are learning but we have a way to go. We will win easily at home.

We are probably 6-7 players away from where we need to be, let’s all calm down?

PS got first two results right - WBP next’

Nah we should've done better in both games. It's disappointing.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:14 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
doedin wrote:Guys - for all the over optimism a couple of LBs is probably what we deserve. An untried 9-10 and centre partnership and a rusty pack away from home has been found out. We have been exposed we are but will win convincingly at home.

I get a bit TonySpreadbury off about the over optimism and we will defeat all etc when our pack is announced. We really do miss a couple of big ball carriers in the pack and we have the recognise it. Our backs still struggle to maintain momentum once we Break the gain line like the Weegies. We will do ok but let’s get realisric!

Disagree we were in a winning position and comfortably the better team away to Ulster first half. If we were always chasing the game but got an LBP so be it but we weren't. Are you honestly happy with an LBP from the position we were in?

Got to be converting these to wins if we want to progress as a team.

The only score that matters is the one after 80mns! Do I care what the score was after 40, 50 or 60 mins? Not in the slightest- we need to be wining once the ref blows the final whistle. Let’s not slide back into the unlucky losers mentality of years gone by, new colours, new club, new mentality! A loss is a loss. Two lossses is two losses. No excuses, no unlucky losers, no nearly men, no ‘we were robbed’! Cockers will be going ape and I agree with him,we are the masters of our own destiny.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:17 pm

doedin wrote: We really do miss a couple of big ball carriers in the pack and we have the recognise it. Our backs still struggle to maintain momentum once we Break the gain line like the Weegies. We will do ok but let’s get realisric!

I would bet that, to a man, our forwards out-carried their opposite numbers in the two games so far, ESPN record all the stats if you want to check.

Ball carriers in the pack is not where the problem lies, in my opinion it's more in confidence and in gelling a new backline right at this moment.

We should have won tonight, no excuses, it was points chucked away. Last week we could have got a smash and grab if the ref had been doing his job
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:14 am

Not sure we need to "learn" how to win close games. We need players like Ross Ford to come on and act like the experienced player he is. You should be able to trust him to come on at the end of a game and not make monumental WayneBarnes ups. That's 2 weeks in a row now. Ross Ford isn't about to learn to have better skills and be more aggressive. We just need to recruit and promote players with good skills - that's the only way to reduce the error count.

Also 3 times in their 22 we left rucks unattended. That was basically the game.

Sorry to lose Bennett - looks like it's a hamstring. Only my opinion but I think Dean is an improvement at 13.

Mention should go to Ritchie and Hamilton. Crosbie too when he came on. Incredible work rate and outshone Coetzee and Jordi Murphy.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:37 am

STKS wrote:Really worried for Bennet, same leg as his ACL injury, looked to be knee again. Might be another 9-12 months out if he's done it again. Comes a week after Duncan Taylor does his ACL for sarries and things are looking thin for the RWC already.

Indeed, but from the team's perspective the injury to Mata may be a bigger worry.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:36 am

And remember not only did that agonising last play penalty cost us 3 league points we gave 3 back to Ulster sot was a six point swing on that one play! Should be standing level with them now on 5 points instead of already being six behind.
Big gap already against the team most likely to be challenging us for play-off and Champions Cup spots.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:39 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:
STKS wrote:Really worried for Bennet, same leg as his ACL injury, looked to be knee again. Might be another 9-12 months out if he's done it again. Comes a week after Duncan Taylor does his ACL for sarries and things are looking thin for the RWC already.

Indeed, but from the team's perspective the injury to Mata may be a bigger worry.

ER match report says hamstring
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:54 pm

I'm confused why Ford is seen as an option to bring off the bench after 60 mins at a critical point. He's proven time and time again he'll make mistakes, I'd rather have a far less experienced less expensive hooker who's demonstrated he can hit his jumpers. I think it's also accepted he doesn't offer enough as a ball carrier and has always gone to ground far too easily. I'm also not convinced that Hickey offers more than Van Der Walt on current form. He hasn't put them in the right field position yet as far as I can see. I think they've done enough to all warrant selection again for the first home game but if they don't chalk up a win I'd like to see Van Der Walt back in and Socino given a run at 12.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:38 pm

The single biggest challenge Cockerill has to address is the mentality of the squad, the club and the supporters. He will be AlainRolland furious at the lack of skills, organisation and leadership from the last two games. The ‘we wiz robbed’, ‘we should have won’and ‘it’s the refs fault’ will really TonySpreadbury him off big style. The one and only single thing that matters is winning getting over the gain line first and getting 4 or 5 points. Can we please stop all the winging. The excuses and the moaning and just accept our squad hasn’t been good enough so far! Not individuals but the whole squad! Dont pick on Ford as a thrower without knowing if it was the calller the lifted or the receiver at fault. Home game coming up, 5 points a must
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:29 am

ratty wrote:I'm confused why Ford is seen as an option to bring off the bench after 60 mins at a critical point. He's proven time and time again he'll make mistakes, I'd rather have a far less experienced less expensive hooker who's demonstrated he can hit his jumpers. I think it's also accepted he doesn't offer enough as a ball carrier and has always gone to ground far too easily. I'm also not convinced that Hickey offers more than Van Der Walt on current form. He hasn't put them in the right field position yet as far as I can see. I think they've done enough to all warrant selection again for the first home game but if they don't chalk up a win I'd like to see Van Der Walt back in and Socino given a run at 12.

People were writing van Der Walt off after a few months last year. 10s need time to bed in.

I'd like to see Socino too - it's annoying Scott is back to being used as a big carrier which he isn't. Socino (or Dean) with hit ups and Scott or Johnson attacking scattered defence.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:25 pm

FFS no one was writing off VDW but were worried about him playing without a pre season. Scott at nearly at 16 stone is an ideal crash ball centre!! We are not doing it yesterday but will do at home on Friday. Win by 15?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:03 am

doedin wrote:FFS no one was writing off VDW but were worried about him playing without a pre season. Scott at nearly at 16 stone is an ideal crash ball centre!! We are not doing it yesterday but will do at home on Friday. Win by 15?

A lot of people were saying they didn't see what van der Walt brought over Tovey and Weir... To which I replied he'd not had a preseason.

Almost ideal size but he's no good at it. Scott's best rugby the last few years has come as an elusive 13. He's pretty jamesmatthew at the crash ball tbh.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:30 am

doedin wrote:The single biggest challenge Cockerill has to address is the mentality of the squad, the club and the supporters. He will be AlainRolland furious at the lack of skills, organisation and leadership from the last two games. The ‘we wiz robbed’, ‘we should have won’and ‘it’s the refs fault’ will really TonySpreadbury him off big style. The one and only single thing that matters is winning getting over the gain line first and getting 4 or 5 points. Can we please stop all the winging. The excuses and the moaning and just accept our squad hasn’t been good enough so far! Not individuals but the whole squad! Dont pick on Ford as a thrower without knowing if it was the calller the lifted or the receiver at fault. Home game coming up, 5 points a must

I don't think it was the refs fault or that we were robbed BUT we should have won, that is exactly the sort of match we won last season fought hard for 80mins and worked ourselves into the position to score a try, win the penalty (or DG) that got us over the line. Having got ourselves into a winning position on Friday that match was lost due to lack of concentration at the final restart. Surely being disappointed/frustrated to have not won away to a decent Ulster team is better than the past happy clappy acceptance of SteveWalsh?

Scott I think is playing really well he is getting us over the gain line, defensively, which he was criticised for in the past, has been strong. Folk were complaining when he was moved to 13 before he left now they are complaining he has been moved back to 12. He is a well rounded centre and can play 12 or 13 with Bennett injured we may well see him move out.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:59 am

The first thing that VDW brought was that he was fit and available which Weir and Tovey werent.

Whether he is a better player than them remains to be seen. He is certainly a good backup, which Tovey and Weir also were but I dont thikn good enough to be first choice if we want to be a top 4 team in the league. He has good points and bad points like anyone else. One of the issues I thought last year was that when he was goal kicking his confidence in the rest of his game seemed to drop. He isnt a really top end kicker and I think Hickey has shown that he can fulfil that role. Where we may miss SHC the most is in that department.

On the Scott 12/13 argument, I think he can be good at both, it doesn't need to be black and white. I have not seen a lot of him and Scocino together but they may well be our best centre pairing, I have felt for a while that Bennet isnt back anywhere near his best, hopefully that is still possible once he gets fixed this time.

We need to close out these games and it was the failure to collect a restart which costs us this one, something which we used to do but thought we had got on top of, it is simple concentration and the habit of winning.

We have had a tough start to the league with 2 difficult away games. Friday is a test, we can stand taking LBPs away but Murrayfield needs to be a fortress if we want to make the play offs again and we need to be beating Connacht.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum