Edinburgh v Connacht 14 Sep 19:35 (Premier Sports 1)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Connacht 14 Sep 19:35 (Premier Sports 1)

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:05 pm

biffer wrote:
David990 wrote:Need to retain possession better in the 22. When you did that, you got points for it. Connacht seemed to turn Edinburgh over quite a bit when they got into the 22.

My main worry so far this season is the number of times we’ve had possession in the opposition 22 and got no points for it.

Need to take the points when on offer, I understand why they want to score tries and entertain but build the lead first.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:24 pm

Attendance was 5,239 apparently. Pretty decent compared to last year, hopefully we can grow a bit from that as the season goes on.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Doedin’s assessment is spot on. When we took it up the guts in the forwards we got our second try and needed to do more of that to swing the balance as the defences were on top. We were commenting last night how little we need to discuss the scrum half as he’s just doing everything right. Too many box kicks for me but clearly playing to orders. Just hope he can stay fit whilst developing Kennedy, Fowler and Sheil.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Oh, and one other thing, I wish Cockers would stop whinging about referees. Yes, they get things wrong, but I don't think Pro14 refs are worse than anyone else's. It's a very difficult game to referee, and even the best don't get everything right. But it's the same for all teams, and I'm sure Ospreys, Ulster and Connacht would also find errors the referees made that affected them. It's one of rugby's admirable traditions that you don't argue with the referee, and I wish he'd wind his neck in on this. It just sounds a bit pathetic, trying to blame the referees when our results are almost always down to our own performance. We certainly don't want the players to start believing that our losses are always the referees fault, rather than things they could do better. Come on, Cockers, man up or you're going to end up sounding like Serina.

Bit of a catch 22 and I agree the first two matches should not have come down to ref decisions we should have been good enough to win both and had the chances to do so but from the interview he has clearly fed back through the official channels but seen no improvement, if we just accept that standard as is and don't voice concerns then it will never improve. It is frustrating that the likes of the Ulster try which went to the TMO was still called wrong, but on review was crossing that is not good enough is that not the whole reason for the TMO?

Similarly you get the impression if we had not scored that would have been penalty and yellow card but we did score so no card I think this happens alot across rugby not just pro14.

The odd mistake we can accept, but much like Cockerill won't accept 15+ handling errors from the players we can't keep accepting numerous poor calls from officials.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Quite an odd game from our point of view, we did a lot of things right, but then jst couldnt turn it into points.

I thought the forwards carried reasonably well, their defence was very good, aggressive and right on the line cutting down our space. Our backs just didnt really fire, I didn't think VDW played that well, some pretty poor kicks and his passing seemed to stop runners rather then bring them onto it. Its night to see us running moves and a second line but we seemed to be very deep and play in front of the defence without really troubling it.

Not taking points was a tricky one, we scored 2 tries from that but really I would have thought that building a lead woudl have been more sensible at the start. Not sure if not having a top end kicker in the squad affected that?

Our defense wasn't great, it wasn't tested much but we were quite passive and got very narrow for their try when there was no need to.

Off the pitch, I can see the DVDM tune taking off, it fits well. Car parking was a mess, its like they are learning how to get the cars into there every time. Oh and the season ticket holders "goody bags" had run out by the time we got there. How can you not know how many you need? Its just little things we seem to get wrong which dont help with rapport with the supporters. Having said that, dcent crowd and there was a bit of atmosphere.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum