Pro14 other games 18/19

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Pro14 other games 18/19

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:17 pm

Bennetton beat Scarlets away 38-29 with 14 men after a first half red.

Amazing result, I did think Scarlets would regress but Benetton's progression is awesome.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Re: Pro14 other games 18/19

Postby Rico on Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Bennetton beat Scarlets away 38-29 with 14 men after a first half red.

Amazing result, I did think Scarlets would regress but Benetton's progression is awesome.

Other way around in terms of result.

Still pretty impressive from Treviso to run them so close, mind. They are looking good so far and will be tough opponents for us.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:31 pm

Glasgow win 24-52 in Bloemfontein - terrific result for them.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:10 pm

Leinster and Munster thrashing welsh opposition. Ospreys team was a joke and the dragons just aren’t good enough. And people wonder why our league is labelled a joke.
David990
International

Postby Rico on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Not a great weekend for our Welsh cousins in general - despite being 21-0 up at one point, Cardiff have just lost 26-24 to Zebre!!

Fair play to the men in black and white though - terrific comeback.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:58 pm

David990 wrote:Leinster and Munster thrashing welsh opposition. Ospreys team was a joke and the dragons just aren’t good enough. And people wonder why our league is labelled a joke.

This is a nonsense argument btw. They say the leagues a joke because the Irish first XV rarely play. But then they talk up the Irish depth. Same with Leinster. If the league was so bad the Irish teams wouldn't have been able to create such quality and depth.

In addition, the Italians are improving yearly, the Dragons have good players on paper and need the right coaching staff, the Ospreys and Cardiff just don't have the depth - yet.

South African teams a bit of a farce, I think if they're dropped the league would be up there.

French league is unwatchable, English rugby is eating itself with the union Vs the league. The English pundits and journos are just more vociferous.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:49 pm

Rico wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Bennetton beat Scarlets away 38-29 with 14 men after a first half red.

Other way around in terms of result.

Still pretty impressive from Treviso to run them so close, mind. They are looking good so far and will be tough opponents for us.

Watched this today on the highlights programme and seemed to me Lloyd Linton let forward looking passes go in the first 3 Scarlets tries. Not easy to tell for sure as the Welsh commentators were blind to them so no replays. Perhaps Cockers can have a word . . .
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:11 pm

Glasgow :eek: :lol:
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:39 pm

There's something not right with Glasgow. How can a team with that much talent in the backline be getting nilled by the Kings?
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:26 pm

The Nudger wrote:There's something not right with Glasgow. How can a team with that much talent in the backline be getting nilled by the Kings?

They got absolutely battered at the breakdown, made a ton of unforced handling and other errors and looked clueless until Hastings came on and paired up with Price, who had himself made a difference.

28 points in around 18 mins shows what they are capable of, but the Kings were better in every department bar the scrum for 3/4 of the match
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:35 pm

They got absolutely battered at the breakdown, made a ton of unforced handling and other errors and looked clueless

When did Solly get the weeg job?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby monkey on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:16 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
The Nudger wrote:There's something not right with Glasgow. How can a team with that much talent in the backline be getting nilled by the Kings?

They got absolutely battered at the breakdown, made a ton of unforced handling and other errors and looked clueless until Hastings came on and paired up with Price, who had himself made a difference.

Like pretty much every side I've seen coached by humphreys, we seem to expect sides just to let us recycle the ball without competing for it. I'm really fed up with it.
monkey
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:41 pm

I've got a couple of hours spare.... Is it worth watching the Glasgow game? Even just for comedy value.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:16 pm

monkey wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

Like pretty much every side I've seen coached by humphreys, we seem to expect sides just to let us recycle the ball without competing for it. I'm really fed up with it.

Humphries is a problem, the SRU are too reticent to dismiss ineffective coaches. Solly was kept well past his sell by date, Hodge has shown no improvement in our attacking shape or individual improvements and is still here. Humphries needs to go.

Glasgow's biggest problem is they're all fur coat no knickers. Capable of exhilarating play but a bit of pressure and they're in a lot of trouble.

Their forwards are mostly meh or question marks. I just don't get Ryan Wilson - I figure he's really hard working but he doesn't dominate contact, he's not a big carrier and he's brainless. Glasgow's back row is a hodge podge of similar players. Where's the carriers? Amazing Thomson ended up at Scarlets not Glasgow.

The backs too are a bit hit and miss. Huw Jones was a big investment and for Glasgow a massive flop, a lot of money invested in players getting older and not putting in big performances for Glasgow and little youth coming through bar Horne jnr and Hastings. A real mistake not to play Hastings more last season. Can they afford to keep Hogg when he so rarely plays for Glasgow?

Their recent recruitment hasn't been great, there's not enough players coming up from the academy either. They won't get lucky with Nakarawa's but why haven't they signed another Fijian 7s metronome. Look at how good Mata is for us!

They've been complacent. Where's the blooding youngsters to pick up the slack from an ageing team? What's the gameplan? What's Rennie trying to achieve? Why do they either blow teams apart or collapse?

I'm concerned about them.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:20 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I'm concerned about them.

I am not.

How they react next week will say a lot, our howler at home v benetton last season was a turning point for us defeat to the Kings needs to be for them.

Think Disco pointed in the past ER and GW are on different recruitment cycles so they have a lot more out of contract this season and then us again the following season etc assuming Rennie extends I think there will be a bigger turnover this season and also assuming they don't over extend to keep Hogg who is bound to be offered £1m plus from England or France which the SRU can't match but would 500-600k keep Hogg at Glasgow that is 2or 3 very good players instead of a single superstar.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum