PRO14 stat of the day

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

PRO14 stat of the day

Postby disco on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:51 pm

Would have liked to have done this during the off-season but a lot of it is hopefully still interesting and gives a steer as to who the players to watch this year are.

One stat a day for defence, attack, work rate, discipline and scoring. Top 10 by each position group (front row, second row etc.) and a 'best' XV based purely on that stat.

Today - defence and tackle completion. 8 Edinburgh players among the various top 10s. Some expected (eg Hamish Watson) and some a bit more surprising (I'm looking at you Michele Rizzo!)

https://wp.me/p68WtH-82U
disco
World Cup Star

Re: PRO14 stat of the day

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:31 am

You can make stats show anything. Even has Hogg on there, everyone knows he can't tackle!

The quality of props we managed to get hold of last year was fantastic given the short notice. I'm amazed Rizzo didn't get another club in a top league somewhere.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:57 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:You can make stats show anything. Even has Hogg on there, everyone knows he can't tackle!

The quality of props we managed to get hold of last year was fantastic given the short notice. I'm amazed Rizzo didn't get another club in a top league somewhere.

Yeah you'd think Jordan Lay would have been a cert for a contract extension if you didn't already have 4 capped international LHs already signed up!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:58 pm

Day 2 for stat of the day and this time it's work rate on both sides of the ball. A 'best' XV and the top 10s for each position group made up of the players who average the most carries + tackles per 80 minutes.

The pick at number 8 will shock you*

https://wp.me/p68WtH-84e

* It won't. It's CJ Stander which is completely unsurprising. I feel I may need to work on my clickbait skills...

Only one Edinburgh player on the lists this time round. Kudos to anyone who can guess who it is before you look!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:12 pm

Wouldnt have guessed Mcinally, but now I see it not surprised he does do a lot of work.

Interesting stuff, particularly the domination of the back 5 charts by Irish teams, reflection of playing style or just % of possession they get and opportunity?

Not really possible but it would be good to measure an "effecting the game" stat i.e how often they carried, tackled, contributed to a ruck, maul etc to get a fuller picture of workrate. Its measuring the "unseen", the likes of Rob Harley will put in a lot of work in terms of winning ball, clearing out and slowing down which you cant really put a measure on. I wonder how coaches judge that sort of thing, in a world of sports science, other than old fashioned watching and gut feel?

Would be interesting to see stats for Bradbury on Friday, wasn't on long but seemed to be everywhere when he was. Big in defence and carrying.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:09 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Wouldnt have guessed Mcinally, but now I see it not surprised he does do a lot of work.

Interesting stuff, particularly the domination of the back 5 charts by Irish teams, reflection of playing style or just % of possession they get and opportunity?

Not really possible but it would be good to measure an "effecting the game" stat i.e how often they carried, tackled, contributed to a ruck, maul etc to get a fuller picture of workrate. Its measuring the "unseen", the likes of Rob Harley will put in a lot of work in terms of winning ball, clearing out and slowing down which you cant really put a measure on. I wonder how coaches judge that sort of thing, in a world of sports science, other than old fashioned watching and gut feel?

Would be interesting to see stats for Bradbury on Friday, wasn't on long but seemed to be everywhere when he was. Big in defence and carrying.

The performance analysts will be tracking data like rucks hit and how effectively, maul contributions etc. Also using their GPS units to measure distance covered, acceleration, top speed, sprints and the like. I was fortunate enough to get a very brief look at some of the information Gavin Vaughan was tracking for the Warriors - huge amount of detail. They know exactly how much everyone is contributing whether that's in a match or in training.

Unfortunately most of that info isn't publicly available though!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:32 pm

That would be interesting, what I say interesting, I assume it is actually insanely dull! But if someone could do all the leg work and just give me the highlights, then that woudl be interesting"!

Do Glasgow have metrics for "No of rucks inspected/80mins" or "crazy offloads under pressure in your own 22/80mins" or do they not need them now that Kellock has retired and Finn has gone all cosmopolitan? :lol: :lol:
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:56 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:That would be interesting, what I say interesting, I assume it is actually insanely dull! But if someone could do all the leg work and just give me the highlights, then that woudl be interesting"!

Do Glasgow have metrics for "No of rucks inspected/80mins" or "crazy offloads under pressure in your own 22/80mins" or do they not need them now that Kellock has retired and Finn has gone all cosmopolitan? :lol: :lol:

I think Adam Hastings may well try to keep the crazy offloads numbers up!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:56 pm

Day 3 and it's all about attack. The players who have the most defenders beaten or clean breaks relative to their carries:

https://wp.me/p68WtH-84z

The top 3 wingers are from Scottish teams. Have a crack at guessing which players before you look...
disco
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:22 am

disco wrote:Day 3 and it's all about attack. The players who have the most defenders beaten or clean breaks relative to their carries:

The top 3 wingers are from Scottish teams. Have a crack at guessing which players before you look...

I would suggest that an attacking stat from last year that doesn’t feature Blair Kinghorn anywhere in the rankings is a pretty dodgy stat.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:08 pm

biffer wrote:
disco wrote:Day 3 and it's all about attack. The players who have the most defenders beaten or clean breaks relative to their carries:

I would suggest that an attacking stat from last year that doesn’t feature Blair Kinghorn anywhere in the rankings is a pretty dodgy stat.

What can i tell you? The numbers are the numbers :mrgreen:

It's a stat dominated by wingers. Of the players who spent most of their game time at 15 Kinghorn would have the best stats at 2.1 carries per clean break or defender beaten. (He had 84 CBs + DBs from 174 carries. For comparison your van der Merwe had 91 from 103 carries.)
disco
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:12 pm

I was surprised not to see Blair in there too, he is consistently dangerous and makes things happen. Depends on how you count beating a defender, often he accelerates through gaps before you know there is one, so possibly not tehcnically beating a defender but he takes them out of the game with that.

Also pretty awesome that both VDMs and Sarto pretty much beat their man every time they get the ball. Thats powerful to have on the outside and creates panic in defences, you could see it in Conn, they were happy enough when we had the ball and they coudl smother infield, once it went wide they started to scramble.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:46 pm

Day 4 - discipline. The worst (and best) the PRO14 has to offer when it comes to conceding penalties:

https://wp.me/p68WtH-84J

There's some fellas in there with so many offences you'd almost think they were wanting to get in bother! A few Edinburgh names on the lists - which might actually please Cockers. I wouldn't imagine he'd like a team of goody two shoes!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:08 pm

The final stat of the day and this time it's all about scoring -"whaur's the tries" more than "whaur's the burds"...

https://wp.me/p68WtH-84R

Wee George Horne is top dog in this category? I am Jack's complete lack of surprise!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:17 am

And not a single Edinburgh outside back in the list. I too am Jack's lack of surprise. Or am I Duncan's complete inability to coach my way out of a paper bag!
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum