Edinburgh Vs Leinster RDS 21/09/2018 7:35

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Vs Leinster RDS 21/09/2018 7:35

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:48 am

A weakened team is fine but apart from McKenzie all the pack could be in the world cup squad.

Leinster are outstanding and it was their first team at home but I'd have hoped our pack would cause them a few more problems.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby STKS on Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:51 pm

Rico wrote:We fielded a weakened team away to the best team in the league, and got a hammering for our trouble.

The best team in Europe. Potentially the best club team in the world, but that's another debate.

Now that the brutal start is over we actually have a good run of really winnable games. Putting aside Europe it will be March before we've got Leinster, Scarlets, Ulster and Glasgow.
STKS
International

Postby liveinhope on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:03 pm

We are now at home for 4 of the next 6 matches (including Europe). Can't help thinking though that we got a very bad deal being away for 3 of our first 4 league matches so not easy to build that early season confidence-we are now left at the bottom of our conference which is clearly stronger than last year.
Really do need to win our next two matches at home against Treviso and Cheetahs-though neither will be easy.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:42 pm

liveinhope wrote:We are now at home for 4 of the next 6 matches (including Europe). Can't help thinking though that we got a very bad deal being away for 3 of our first 4 league matches so not easy to build that early season confidence-we are now left at the bottom of our conference which is clearly stronger than last year.
Really do need to win our next two matches at home against Treviso and Cheetahs-though neither will be easy.

The paranoid part of me says that’s deliberate on the part of the Pro14 because we were impudent enough to upset the apple cart a bit last year.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:51 pm

biffer wrote:
liveinhope wrote:We are now at home for 4 of the next 6 matches (including Europe). Can't help thinking though that we got a very bad deal being away for 3 of our first 4 league matches so not easy to build that early season confidence-we are now left at the bottom of our conference which is clearly stronger than last year.

The paranoid part of me says that’s deliberate on the part of the Pro14 because we were impudent enough to upset the apple cart a bit last year.

Jeez put down the tinfoil hat biffer, that's mental.

We were a minute away from a win in Belfast and a decision away from a win in Swansea. Well beaten by the best side in Europe but we've shown spirit and the wins will come.

Cheetahs at home is a good fixture, will be a strong side Vs Treviso too.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:10 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
biffer wrote:

Jeez put down the tinfoil hat biffer, that's mental.

We were a minute away from a win in Belfast and a decision away from a win in Swansea. Well beaten by the best side in Europe but we've shown spirit and the wins will come.

Cheetahs at home is a good fixture, will be a strong side Vs Treviso too.

Aye, I know, I'm starting to sound like a weegie.

Fortunately the paranoid part of me isn't very big.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:17 pm

biffer wrote:Fortunately the paranoid part of me isn't very big.

Said the vicar to the tart... :wink:
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Fanscene on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:26 pm

I agree completely.

The next two games will leave with a better idea. Only Munster or Scarlets away would potentially made the start harder. Apart from winning in SA, there has only been 3 away wins in the 24 other matches, and they were at Connacht, Cardiff and Dragons and the winners were Glasgow, Leinster and Benetton.

I am a glass half full, but we could have / should have won two of the three defeats. We had a chance in the last 5 minutes, so not too concerned...... but we need to set out a cutting edge and be more clinical!
Fanscene
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:02 am

Think the game showed/highlighted the weaknesses in the team.

• Attack – our attacking play so far this season has been appalling. We have one tactic of getting it into the forwards and taking contact, we have used it repeatedly, and against the like of Leinster, it just doesn’t work. As our attack coach Hodge needs to take responsibility for this. Sure the players need to take the blame as well, but this has been our approach from day 1 this season, if it’s not what he wants then the players should be coached to try something else if it’s not working.
• Scrum half – neither Kennedy or Fowles inspire, with the insane 30 phase play that led to nothing, Kennedy repeatedly looked over at the men in space on the wing and ignored them, in favour of the forward pack who were making zero ground. I actually think Kennedy is a decent player, certainly an able back up, he might be hamstrung by Hodge’s attacking plan, or might just not be any good and I’m giving him too much credit. Fowles I just don’t rate.
• Socino – I can only assume Newcastle have an amazing PR department, as he looked decent for them, as does Harris when he plays, if you take them out of the Newcastle line up both look poor. I get Socino needs to get used to his teammates, but he’s had preseason and played a few games now. I think he missed 2 tackles in the game which led to tries, he may have missed more, but those 2 stood out for obvious reasons.
• Whoever is playing 13 – This isn’t a dig at the player, but again at our tactics. This position is a nightmare for the team, as the ball never gets as far as them. The only time they see the ball is when they are defending. Our tactic again is either the forwards have it, or whoever is at 12 runs into contact, occasionally it’ll go out to DVDM or kicked to Kinghorn

We need to change this, as we’ll be lucky to win any games with this approach and if we do then chances our we’re not going to get anywhere near a TBP win, which cost us last season.

In terms of the positives (just to balance this out a bit), CHH looked ok when he came on, although not sure he’s as mobile as some of our other locks, but it was a fairly brief cameo. Farndale, his defence was interesting/not great but the one time he got the ball (see tactics chat from earlier) he looked threatening.
EWT spoons
International

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:33 am

Socino has played 1 game for us and Harris has played 2 for Scotland (one in which every single player was awful and the coaches got it badly wrong but he's the scapegoat?) - I think they deserve some time to show themselves.

We're too reliant on Kinghorn or Duhan to do something special. JJ has shown some incision and Fife, Scott and Dean work hard but there isn't any imagination in phase play outside Kinghorn.

Fowles and Kennedy aren't good. Shiel needs gametime to become Pyrgos' back up. Hickey/vdW need to play flatter, Scott needs to run clever lines as he's good at rather than at people and the forwards need to start making yards as we know they can.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:44 am

Socino also played in the friendly against newcastle and was poor when he came on as well. I'm not blaming him for our loss, just pointing out he had a bad game.

Harris has played 4x for Scotland and has been terrible/poor in all of them.

The rest of your chat I agree with, as it all comes down to our tactics which are far too one dimensional.
EWT spoons
International

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:12 am

I haven't seen the game yet.

Schoeman getting a red could be bad for us, depending on how long he has to sit out. Socino looked pretty good for Newcastle last season, but I thought they were a "better than the sum of their parts" side last year, they've won one out of four so far, albeit they've had Sarries, Exeter, Leicester and Wuss.

I agree it's been a tough start but the loss to Ulster was a real scunner, if we'd beaten Ospreys they would have been entitled to have felt the same. We now have huge pressure on us to get a good result against a hugely physical Benetton side this coming weekend, they will be targeting us for sure.

Last season's European foray would have been a grand time to blood Shiel, we have no Krasny Yar fixtures this year.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:30 am

Tichtheid wrote:Schoeman getting a red could be bad for us, depending on how long he has to sit out.

If it's classed as a strike with the elbow to the head then the entry point is 6 weeks. He doesn't have a clean record (very recent ban for biting) so he'd be more likely to get a week added on than any reduction.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:51 am

disco wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:Schoeman getting a red could be bad for us, depending on how long he has to sit out.

If it's classed as a strike with the elbow to the head then the entry point is 6 weeks. He doesn't have a clean record (very recent ban for biting) so he'd be more likely to get a week added on than any reduction.

Having seen the incident, Schoeman did make contact with the elbow to the defender's jaw, but I disagree with the referee saying he led with the elbow - there were a couple just like that in the Rugby Championship recently, but then one doesn't penalise All Blacks, it's just not done.

If McFadden had been sent off for launching his shoulder into Hoyland's face I could just about thole any ban that Schoeman gets, but of course he didn't even get a yellow and nothing afterwards either.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:31 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
disco wrote:

Having seen the incident, Schoeman did make contact with the elbow to the defender's jaw, but I disagree with the referee saying he led with the elbow - there were a couple just like that in the Rugby Championship recently, but then one doesn't penalise All Blacks, it's just not done.

If McFadden had been sent off for launching his shoulder into Hoyland's face I could just about thole any ban that Schoeman gets, but of course he didn't even get a yellow and nothing afterwards either.

If they can talk it down to a strike with the arm (to the head) then the entry point is 4 weeks.

McFadden got 3 weeks. Which made a total mockery of Mitrea's failure to produce a card of any colour at the time!

https://ontopofthemoon.com/2016/04/22/mcfadden-v-hoyland-the-disciplinary-process/
disco
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum