Pierre Schoeman Decision

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Pierre Schoeman Decision

Postby STKS on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:43 pm

Pierre Schoeman of Edinburgh Rugby faced a Disciplinary Hearing today via a video conference and has been banned for four weeks.

A Disciplinary Panel convened in Neath (Wales) to consider the red-card decision against the player resulting from the Round 4 fixture against Leinster on September 22, 2018.

The player was shown a red card by referee Dan Jones under Law 9.12 – A player must not physically or verbally abuse anyone. Physical abuse includes, but is not limited to, biting, punching, contact with the eye or eye area, striking with any part of the arm (including stiff-arm tackles), shoulder, head or knee(s), stamping, trampling, tripping or kicking.

The incident occurred in the 71st minute of the Guinness PRO14 Round 4 fixture at the RDS Arena (Dublin) when referee Dan Jones deemed the player to have committed an act of foul play against an opponent (No 20, Dan Leavy).

The Disciplinary Panel, comprising of Simon Thomas (Chair), Roger Morris and Nigel Williams (all Wales), concluded that there was an act of foul play of striking the head with the forearm which carries a mid-range entry point (six weeks).

A ban of six weeks was reduced due to mitigating circumstances, the player’s acceptance of the red card and behaviour throughout the hearing. As a result the player will be banned for a period of four weeks and can return to play from midnight on Sunday, October 21.

The player was reminded of his right to appeal.
STKS
International

Re: Pierre Schoeman Decision

Postby STKS on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Which means he will be out until after Toulon (Which will also be Mathieu Bastareaud's first game back since he assaulted another player)
STKS
International

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:51 pm

I think that's actually a bit harsh, yes there was contact with his forearm on Leavy's neck/jaw area, but it was one of these things - Leavy's approach into the tackle and Schoeman's timing of the attempt at the hand-off led to the incident. Given that they decided it carried an entry level of six weeks and they reduced it to four, and also given that Schoeman had been sent off and banned for biting only a few months ago, I think the panel thought there wasn't much in it either, but they have to be seen to be doing something.

I'm not really complaining about that, they do indeed have to be seen to be dong something, it's more that other's get off scot-free for more contact than happened there that gets my goat.

However, now that it's done, this gives Dell, Sutherland and Marfo the chance to step up, Schoeman has made a very strong case for being considered the number one loosehead at the club
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:26 pm

I personally thought there was not a lot in it given Leavy's very upright approach to the tackle but,that said,was reluctantly expecting about six weeks so whilst annoying he is out of the Euro ties could have been worse. At least he's not injured and will come back fresh in a month.Great chance though for the Scottish loose head props to get more game time and sort out the pecking order for the Autumn internationals (with probably only Bhatti and Gordon Reid otherwise in the frame.)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:56 pm

Two things.

1. Good chance for the Scottish LHs they had a worrying lack of game time early season with schoeman and kebble starting most games at ER and GW.

2. The league has to be consistent with the punishment now, red cards and citings for anything the same... Will see if that happens.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:46 pm

I’m just glad he’s back in time for the international period. If it had been six weeks, we might have struggled at LH and tight head in November
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum