Edinburgh v Benetton Fri 28th Sept

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Benetton Fri 28th Sept

Postby gowrie on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Never in doubt.

Thank goodness our silky attacking moves rescued that one for us, where would we be without the incredible imagination, organisation and skill we show when we have the ball
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:59 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:A set move try off first phase... Arise sir Duncan hodge. :lol:

Entertaining 40 some good trys from both teams.

2? :eek: or I have had way too much beer

There were indeed two. Dunno why we're so surprised!
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:01 pm

David990 wrote:Benetton showing some silky hands. EdinBurgh really need to try and stop Benettons offloading.

Nice ambition with the offloads and more impressively very few handling errors. Great to watch but shame it was the wrong team.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:23 pm

I thought it was an entertaining match, first 40 in particular.

Thought we looked pretty sharp in attack first half but perhaps switched off a bit second half although credit to benetton they attacked really well. Defence which has been good this season looked out of sorts although again benetton were offloading really well.

Have not seen replay but thought Gilchrists yellow was a bit of a kick in the nuts given the number of pens they conceded particularly first 15mins, but ultimately held out well with 14 men and a bit of a male shift pack to get the BP win against a good benetton team.

Edit: while their place kicking was poor has hickey missed one this season? Made the difference tonight
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:47 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Have not seen replay but thought Gilchrists yellow was a bit of a kick in the nuts given the number of pens they conceded particularly first 15mins, but ultimately held out well with 14 men and a bit of a male shift pack to get the BP win against a good benetton team.

Edit: while their place kicking was poor has hickey missed one this season? Made the difference tonight

it was an easy Yellow card to give, Gilchrist went to pull the player down as soon as he engaged. Blatant. Edinburgh maul was TonySpreadbury poor.

Last season nicked a few games by keeping going to the end. Tonight sat back and thought the game was over with a 3 score lead. Benneton kept going, Edinburgh won because of one SteveWalsh Benneton overthrow. Very lucky indeed, did not deserve to win IMHO
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:42 pm

joe soap wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Have not seen replay but thought Gilchrists yellow was a bit of a kick in the nuts given the number of pens they conceded particularly first 15mins, but ultimately held out well with 14 men and a bit of a male shift pack to get the BP win against a good benetton team.

it was an easy Yellow card to give, Gilchrist went to pull the player down as soon as he engaged. Blatant. Edinburgh maul was TonySpreadbury poor.

Last season nicked a few games by keeping going to the end. Tonight sat back and thought the game was over with a 3 score lead. Benneton kept going, Edinburgh won because of one SteveWalsh Benneton overthrow. Very lucky indeed, did not deserve to win IMHO

We were very much the better side in the first half, they came back into it in the second.
"Deserve" is only really counted on the scoreboard, I guess.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:23 am

Strange performance. Our backs looked good when attacking, but across the whole team our defence was very weak. Almost every time Benetton got the ball in our half they seemed to score by doing not much more than go through a few phases efficiently. Last season we looked fit and able to play with intensity for large parts of games, but so far we have looked flat and less fit than the team's we have played. That's a bit worrying given the stage of the season we are in. I'm sure the coaches and players will be well aware of their shortcomings so far, and hopefully can get this sorted out quickly. I dread to think what Montpellier and Toulon will do to us if we play like that against them.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:03 am

Tichtheid wrote:We were very much the better side in the first half, they came back into it in the second.

Played well first half, yes, but Benneton were always working and dangerous, as they were all game.
But they played for 80 mins. Edinburgh didn't, went to sleep as of old . When a game is between 2 well matched sides, the team who doesn't play for 80mins are lucky if they win. Edinburgh were luck then if that helps you. I don't think they earned that luck last night; or to put it another way, didn't deserve it.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:04 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:Strange performance. Our backs looked good when attacking, but across the whole team our defence was very weak. Almost every time Benetton got the ball in our half they seemed to score by doing not much more than go through a few phases efficiently. Last season we looked fit and able to play with intensity for large parts of games, but so far we have looked flat and less fit than the team's we have played. That's a bit worrying given the stage of the season we are in. I'm sure the coaches and players will be well aware of their shortcomings so far, and hopefully can get this sorted out quickly. I dread to think what Montpellier and Toulon will do to us if we play like that against them.

spot on. A mid game drop off like that against Montpellier could see a big score racked up very quickly.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:16 am

Yeah, we were very one-dimensional in the second half in broken play. Everything battered up the middle via Mata and they coped quite well with it. Somebody mentioned no offloads earlier. Surely you've got to try something. Is it me or is Cockerill rotating the team a bit?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:38 am

On that showing and our previous matches its gonna be a long long season. It was a strange match where we never really dominated and put it to bed.The defence in particular was gash and that's bumming it up a bit.They were a well drilled team who played the full 80,we were hanging on and looked unfit in the latter stages;in my opinion there is something not right going on in training or lack of it. The only plus side is that all the tries were scored in the backs.We really need the sloppy defence sorted out very soon or our Champions cup matches will be painful to watch especially against the French teams.All in all, we didn't deserve to win that one ,but we did and have to improve massively if we are to show any credibility in Cockers second season at the helm ps Santa can we please have a new scrum half, my 85 your old mother could get the ball away quicker than "Too slow" Pyrgos.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:49 pm

The great irony is that some of the back play in the first 50 mins was out of the top drawer.Really slick at times-four excellent tries with two clearly from perfectly executed training ground moves.

I just knew the moment the commentator on tv said once it was 31-15 "Edinburgh just have to see out the last 30 mins now"! Had it been 10 or even 15 mins but half an hour is a long time in rugby..and so it proved.

Still hats off for (somehow) surviving the last ten mins with 14 players-and no second rows after Mackenzie's injury as well as Gilchrist's card.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:08 pm

Watched the game today with a roaring hangover - the last 20 didn't help my stomach!

Positives - some really nice set piece moves, Kinghorn to Fife was amazing. Dean's pass to Kinghorn was excellent too. Van der Merwe looks hungry in attack and Hickey is marshalling the troops well.

Negatives - mall didn't get going, ruck clearances weren't as sharp as we need so Pyrgos was slowed down - he was taking a while to get the pass off too.

Defence horrible and Cockers right to be furious! There was no structure or power, it's been a worry for me this season and maybe the lads need a rollicking.

Enjoyed watching Treviso though, good game.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:46 pm

joe soap wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:We were very much the better side in the first half, they came back into it in the second.

Played well first half, yes, but Benneton were always working and dangerous, as they were all game.
But they played for 80 mins. Edinburgh didn't, went to sleep as of old . When a game is between 2 well matched sides, the team who doesn't play for 80mins are lucky if they win. Edinburgh were luck then if that helps you. I don't think they earned that luck last night; or to put it another way, didn't deserve it.

The numbers confirm what I felt at the time, we had the lion’s share of territory and possession in both halfs, some poor discipline and defence let us down, but we should never have let them get so close

http://www.espn.com/rugby/matchstats?ga ... gue=270557
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:08 pm

See Munster just did Edinburgh a massive favour tonight.
David990
International

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum