Cockers Interview

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Cockers Interview

Postby STKS on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:14 pm

Rugby pass just posted an exclusive interview with Richard Cockerill:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/exclusive-youll-get-the-blame-whether-it-is-your-decision-or-someone-elses-cockerill-fires-warnings-to-murphy-over-leicester-job

The first few minutes are specifically on the state of Leicester Tigers, but it moves onto him as a coach and his experience at Edinburgh and hopes for the season.

His goal for this year is just for Edinburgh to qualify for the champions cup again, which i think is fair.
STKS
International

Re: Cockers Interview

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks for the link.

This really is a three to five year project, he is a coach with a proven track record, I hope people don't get too impatient if we don't do quite as well as last year.

This is not settling for anything, it's trying to be realistic.

We need strengthening in the backs. I'd like to see Charlie Shiel play sometime soon, and Darcy Graham
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:36 pm

Tichtheid wrote:This really is a three to five year project, he is a coach with a proven track record, I hope people don't get too impatient if we don't do quite as well as last year.

This is not settling for anything, it's trying to be realistic.

We certainly picked up some lucky/tight wins last year that we won't always get.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:51 pm

The key stated objective for last season, alongside qualification for the Champion's Cup, was to earn respect. It's quite clear from the teams that have been fielded against us this season so far that both those objectives were met. We are very lucky to have a coach of the calibre and experience of Cockers. The benefits are both on and off the field and I have little doubt that but for his arrival, we would probably still be playing at Myreside rather then looking forward to moving to a new stadium on the Murrayfield back pitches.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:26 pm

“If it kills me, I’m going to get rid of this Scottish trait of ‘We’re always going to be second best and we’re going to be plucky losers’, because it does my head in,” he said. “I’m an arrogant Englishman and I expect to win; that’s just my nature, love it or not.

:)

Another good interview, think we are starting to see more belief in the squad, a big result in Saturday would be another step in the right direction.

https://theoffsideline.com/cockerill-im ... ct-to-win/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:11 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:“If it kills me, I’m going to get rid of this Scottish trait of ‘We’re always going to be second best and we’re going to be plucky losers’, because it does my head in,” he said. “I’m an arrogant Englishman and I expect to win; that’s just my nature, love it or not.

:)

Another good interview, think we are starting to see more belief in the squad, a big result in Saturday would be another step in the right direction.

https://theoffsideline.com/cockerill-im ... ct-to-win/

Cockers is absolutely right! We should be coming away from the Montpelier game with a bit of confidence for the rest of the season. We are big enough, we are fit enough, we are fast enough, we have solid set piece in scrum and line out and we will tackle our hearts out ... all we need is to sort out the top 6 inches and get the confidence, concentration and self belief right and execute out on the pitch!
doedin
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum