Edinburgh v Cheetahs Fri 5 Oct 1935 Freesports

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Cheetahs Fri 5 Oct 1935 Freesports

Postby BruceLee on Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:45 am

The match was an improvement on last week and certainly 5 points are great to secure,but we are still making it too difficult for ourselves.The main gripes I have at the moment,like most,is our defence out wide; it is a a big problem with us appearing to be defending,but as soon as the opposition ship the ball out, we are caught out,over and over again.Having said that when we sort out this area we definately have the backs to cause most teams a problem.
The forwards are now moulding into a hardened unit,but they must support the runners,and in particular get back to basics and play a more off-loading game.All in all,we are improving but could go back to the Edinburgh of old if we do not iron out these problems sooner rather than later.It will be a massive step up the next two weeks and if we dont get it right it could be a tough couple of shifts for all concerned.Ps i am behind Cockers when players are not performing up to scratch bring someone else in and give them a chance to stake a place in the team.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:36 am

Was that really an improvement on last week? Obviously subjective but certainly not as easy on the eye.We scored four superb back tries last week-this time we largely had to really on the forwards.Good to have the alternative I suppose.

Random thoughts:

1.Graham took his chance well.Likely he'll start next week instead of Fife.
2.Socino and Johnstone no better in defence than Scott and Dean -and certainly poorer in attack so I'd expect to see Scott and Dean back next week.
3.Did Macallum make a case for starting at loosehead against Montpellier? He might help give us the scrummaging stability which will be absolutely vital in france and might not be there with Alan Dell.
4.I know the game was still in the balance but I would llike to have seen Cockerill having faith to bring on Luke Hasmilton and Ford at least 10 minutes earlier than happened.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby BruceLee on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:15 pm

Pretty much in agreement on your 4 points.One thing for certain who ever Cockers brings in or retains, they will have to be at there best to keep the scoreline to an acceptable level.Who knows we might just click on the day, Heres hoping.
BruceLee
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Thought Gilchrist looked very good, too.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:35 pm

liveinhope wrote:Was that really an improvement on last week? Obviously subjective but certainly not as easy on the eye.We scored four superb back tries last week-this time we largely had to really on the forwards.Good to have the alternative I suppose.

Random thoughts:

1.Graham took his chance well.Likely he'll start next week instead of Fife.
2.Socino and Johnstone no better in defence than Scott and Dean -and certainly poorer in attack so I'd expect to see Scott and Dean back next week.
3.Did Macallum make a case for starting at loosehead against Montpellier? He might help give us the scrummaging stability which will be absolutely vital in france and might not be there with Alan Dell.
4.I know the game was still in the balance but I would llike to have seen Cockerill having faith to bring on Luke Hasmilton and Ford at least 10 minutes earlier than happened.

I don't think the centres were to blame for the defence. It's a team effort and Cockers scapegoated Scott, Dean and Fife a bit I think. Easiest scapegoats to have in the side other than the backrow as there's quality replacements.

As a team the defence is far too narrow, I watched the game back on premier and Southwell had analysis showing we had far too many players tied around the ruck and a few passes undid everything.

Defence so far has been very poor, attack is good in a complete 180 on last year.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:20 pm

As a team the defence is far too narrow, I watched the game back on premier and Southwell had analysis showing we had far too many players tied around the ruck and a few passes undid everything.

Would be interesting to see if we had the same narrow defence last season and it is something in our system that the opposition has identified and is exploiting this year rather than as you noted centres and wing being blamed for individual errors. Or is the midfield line speed not quick enough to press, Darren Cave for example with Ulster gets out the line quick a lot stopping the long pass out wide.

I am not convinced it is solely individual missed tackles that is wrong at present.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:17 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:

Would be interesting to see if we had the same narrow defence last season and it is something in our system that the opposition has identified and is exploiting this year rather than as you noted centres and wing being blamed for individual errors. Or is the midfield line speed not quick enough to press, Darren Cave for example with Ulster gets out the line quick a lot stopping the long pass out wide.

I am not convinced it is solely individual missed tackles that is wrong at present.

That's true, it's certainly not individual tackles even though Kinghorn is going back to old habits, VdM had a bad week against Bennetton too.

I think Cockers and McRae will sort it out, but our set up looks wrong and we look like we lack intensity in defence.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum