Edinburgh v Cheetahs Fri 5 Oct 1935 Freesports

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Cheetahs Fri 5 Oct 1935 Freesports

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:22 am

Cheetahs don't appear to be quite a strong as last season but the Murrayfield pitch may suit their style of play.

Hopefully we see a much improved performance from ER this week particularly in defence.

EDIT: Team out

Head Coach Richard Cockerill has made four changes ahead of tomorrow night’s Guinness PRO14 clash with Toyota Cheetahs at BT Murrayfield (Friday 5 October, kick-off 7.35pm).

As Edinburgh look to secure their fifth consecutive home victory in all competitions, three players are rotated into the backline. James Johnstone and Juan Pablo Socino are named in the midfield, while winger Darcy Graham makes his first start since featuring against Leinster in February.

Cockerill makes just one change to the pack as Rory Sutherland makes his first start of the season at loosehead prop.

On his selection, Cockerill, said: “We’ve named a strong, combative side who'll be looking to make amends following last weekend’s disappointing performance against Benetton.

“Whilst we were happy with the result and certain aspects of our play, the squad know that there is plenty to improve on if we’re going to challenge in the league.

“Cheetahs are a physical, abrasive outfit with quick backs out wide that’ll punish you throughout the 80 minutes. However, we’ve got plenty of belief, especially at home, and I’ve got every confidence that this group of players can bounce back tomorrow night.”

After crossing the whitewash against Benetton a week ago, Blair Kinghorn is named at fullback, with Duhan van der Merwe – a try-scorer in his last four appearances at BT Murrayfield – and Graham selected on the flanks.

Johnstone and summer recruit Socino get the nod in midfield, while Henry Pyrgos and Kiwi stand-off Simon Hickey continue at half-back.

Up-front, hooker Stuart McInally skippers the side and packs down alongside WP Nel and Sutherland.

Experienced locks Grant Gilchrist and Ben Toolis are named in the boiler room, while Magnus Bradbury, Hamish Watson and Fijian international Bill Mata complete the back-row.

Edinburgh team to face Cheetahs at BT Murrayfield in the Guinness PRO14 on Friday 5 October, kick-off 7.35pm – live on Free Sports.

15. Blair Kinghorn (68)

14. Darcy Graham (6)

13. James Johnstone (22)

12. Juan Pablo Socino (3)

11. Duhan van der Merwe (22)

10. Simon Hickey (4)

9. Henry Pyrgos (4)

1. Rory Sutherland (64)

2. Stuart McInally (124) CAPTAIN

3. WP Nel (119)

4. Ben Toolis (93)

5. Grant Gilchrist (124)

6. Magnus Bradbury (56)

7. Hamish Watson (85)

8. Bill Mata (40)

Replacements: 16. Ross Ford (182); 17. Murray McCallum (42); 18. Simon Berghan (52); 19. Luke Hamilton (4); 20. Jamie Ritchie (53); 21. Sean Kennedy (63); 22. Jaco van der Walt (20); 23. Chris Dean (68).
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Cheetahs Fri 5 Oct 1935 Freesports

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:08 pm

McCallum covering LH, what is up with Dell and Marfo? No 2nd row on the bench either
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:16 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:McCallum covering LH, what is up with Dell and Marfo? No 2nd row on the bench either

Wasn't Marfo toiling a bit early season with injury?

I assume Dell and WP are being rested for next week. Some serious gas in that backline, I hope it goes well for young Graham, very excited to see him play on the big Murrayfield pitch.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:51 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I assume Dell and WP are being rested for next week. .

well I hope WP isn't going to take a rest, could do with 15 players active from the start!
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:53 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:McCallum covering LH, what is up with Dell and Marfo? No 2nd row on the bench either

indeed. Are both Carmichael and CHH injured? Very odd. And mucking around with McCallum again. Cockerill has some odd ideas at times

Edit - to add; Mata's stats last week wee incredible. But even before seeing them and before last week I felt he was being over-worked, over used during games. The stats seemed to reinforce that. And this week he is to do the same plus cover lock. If this happened to a Scot overseas we would be moaning abut it big time
Last edited by joe soap on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Cheetahs much weaker than last season due to all their better players being nicked by others. One thing the still have in abundance is pace in the back 3. So Kinghorn, DVDM and Graham will be tested. Graham will be fine I think, but given how easily DVDM was stepped last week, that could be a worry
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:07 pm

joe soap wrote:indeed. Are both Carmichael and CHH injured? Very odd. And mucking around with McCallum again. Cockerill has some odd ideas at times

Edit - to add; Mata's stats last week wee incredible. But even before seeing them and before last week I felt he was being over-worked, over used during games. The stats seemed to reinforce that. And this week he is to do the same plus cover lock. If this happened to a Scot overseas we would be moaning abut it big time

:above: This. Carmichael was made for that bench instead of either Hamilton or Ritchie. He must be injured. I thought we would have rotated Toolis and Gilchrist for this one given the European games due up next and I would have preferred to have wrapped Kinghorn in cotton wool for this one as well but looks a good side and keen to see how Darcy goes on his return.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:41 pm

Wottie wrote:
joe soap wrote:indeed. Are both Carmichael and CHH injured? Very odd. And mucking around with McCallum again. Cockerill has some odd ideas at times

:above: This. Carmichael was made for that bench instead of either Hamilton or Ritchie. He must be injured. I thought we would have rotated Toolis and Gilchrist for this one given the European games due up next and I would have preferred to have wrapped Kinghorn in cotton wool for this one as well but looks a good side and keen to see how Darcy goes on his return.

Couple of weeks ago update on Carmichael was

"The coach also revealed that hooker Cameron Fenton will be out for three months after needing surgery on his hip, and that Lewis Carmichael has yet to be given the all-clear to resume playing after taking a head knock in pre-season."

https://theoffsideline.com/zander-fager ... umn-tests/

bit worrying if he is still not cleared to play

Marfo has been playing for B'Muir
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks TFG, I missed that update. Fingers crossed he's back and match ready for the Autumn Test period as with Fraz potentially out for a bit, we could be seriously depleted in the engine room if both Toolis and Gilchrist are away. At least we are not down in South Africa this year and can benefit from players released from the national squad to the Pro sides.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Whilst there is worry about injuries the team also need to play themselves into form. Don't think there's anyone who's got last year's form yet.

Looking forward to watching Graham - he looked a bit bigger in the highlights of the Watsonians match. Really want him to be good.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:29 pm

More rotation. Nervous.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:40 pm

Le Jock Sportif wrote:More rotation. Nervous.

From reading Cockerill's interview, only Dell is a rotation. The others are dropped for their performances.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:42 am

robdinsdale wrote:
Le Jock Sportif wrote:More rotation. Nervous.

From reading Cockerill's interview, only Dell is a rotation. The others are dropped for their performances.

Aye interview here, Cockers pulling no punches on midfield and Marfo in particular.

Other points carmichael back training, Mckenzie scan relatively positive

https://theoffsideline.com/edinburgh-tr ... n-bungles/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 am

Wow! Cockers obviously seeing things drift and slip in training and not been slow to, publicly, nip it in the bud. I really like that!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:01 am

I don't understand the rest protocols in this case with Dell. He needs rugby and he's only started 2 games! His other appearances have been as subs.

He could've used the games before Autumn, I think there needs to be a common sense approach.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum