Edinburgh v Cheetahs Fri 5 Oct 1935 Freesports

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Cheetahs Fri 5 Oct 1935 Freesports

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:11 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I don't understand the rest protocols in this case with Dell. He needs rugby and he's only started 2 games! His other appearances have been as subs.

He could've used the games before Autumn, I think there needs to be a common sense approach.

I don't think he needs rested now I think it is Cockers planning for future matches where he does not want to have to rest Dell due to protocols so do it now and get it out the way I assume Schoemans ban has required a rejig.

Will try and find interview with Dell where he talks about it being planned what matches the LHs will play in.

EDIT: interview here

“It’s unfortunate for Pierre to be out, and for us running up to the European games, but it’s good that Cockers has been managing us well,” Dell continued. “He’s got his plan to work with us and what games he’s going to play us in and we have to make sure we take our chances. Me and Rory [Sutherland] and Darryl [Marfo] have to put our hands up.”

https://theoffsideline.com/dell-ready-t ... ehind-him/
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:18 am

I have to say, this is one of the best things I’ve read about Edinburgh Rugby in yonks. Cockers has set his standards and will not accept anything less, there is no place for the old complacency.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:42 pm

I'm in Germany tonight. If someone can do me the favour of getting really drunk and shouting at the ref about the finer technicalities of the laws without swearing during the game, I'd appreciate it.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:50 pm

biffer wrote:I'm in Germany tonight. If someone can do me the favour of getting really drunk and shouting at the ref about the finer technicalities of the laws without swearing during the game, I'd appreciate it.

It is Mitrea I can't promise not to swear the rest is a given.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:21 pm

biffer wrote:I'm in Germany tonight. If someone can do me the favour of getting really drunk and shouting at the ref about the finer technicalities of the laws without swearing during the game, I'd appreciate it.

Shall I go on the Weedgie forum later for you, or have you got that covered? :D
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:55 pm

Five points in the bag, some good stuff some bad.

It felt like we left a few tries out there especially in the first quarter/half an hour, we tightened up when they started to come back into it. Though that might bear a second viewing.

We need to start saving now as keeping hold of Big Bill is not going to be cheap when the time comes.

Darcy had a good game, he took his try well, the leap to win the box kick ball was tremendous and he looked dangerous when he had possession - there is a lot more to come from him.
He looked bigger, too, he's obviously being doing some hard graft in the gym.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:59 pm

That felt like a horrible match no momentum in the game but a BP win should not be too disappointing, playing poorly and winning leaves plenty of room for improvement.

Agree on Mata work rate is phenomenal, Graham as well, looks like proper small man syndrome, so keen to be involved.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:18 pm

A disappointing bonus point win is the low point we should be aiming for. The only aim this year is champions Cup. Playoffs don't matter.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:35 pm

Noticed the Murrayfield in goal area has been shortened. I’m assuming this is in prep for the BFCup SF.
David990
International

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:36 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Five points in the bag, some good stuff some bad.

It felt like we left a few tries out there especially in the first quarter/half an hour, we tightened up when they started to come back into it. Though that might bear a second viewing.

We need to start saving now as keeping hold of Big Bill is not going to be cheap when the time comes.

Darcy had a good game, he took his try well, the leap to win the box kick ball was tremendous and he looked dangerous when he had possession - there is a lot more to come from him.
He looked bigger, too, he's obviously being doing some hard graft in the gym.

We certainly did leave tries out there in the first half but sorted that out in the second half. There were some nice set piece moves so Hodge is doing better. The tries will come with experience.

Defence wasn't great, really not great. We got shredded too easily. There wasn't enough fight or bite or anything. Players were too slow to get into position.

They did well to tie him down last year! Bill is off when his contract is up sadly.

Graham was exceptional, my man of the match.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:48 pm

Early ESPN stats have Mata 21 carries for 123m :eek: more than the rest of the pack combined.

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/playerstats ... gue=270557
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:46 pm

That was a much improved performance on last week. We dominated the game for all bar the first 10 minutes of the second half, and deserved our bonus point win. For the most part the tackling was much better, we were hitting them harder and didn't miss anything like as many. At no point did I feel we were going to lose that game, even when they took the lead. Not perfect, but a pretty decent performance.

Their number 11 is some player. He was a difficult guy to stop, and was their main attacking threat. Apart from him they didn't offer a lot. For us, Graham played well (how nice to see one of our players try to catch one of our box kicks for a change, and actually do it!), so did the forwards, and Hickey is starting to look like a decent 10. Definitely a step forward tonight.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:47 pm

McCallum continues to impress, he looked great when he came on. I thought Sutherland got a bit of a raw deal from the officials at the scrum, we looked to have the upper hand but we lost a few key decisions.

Bergs dug in really well when he came on.

Why has it taken us this long to get a throwing coach for the hookers? It's just ludicrous.

JJ and Socino struggled at times, there is work to be done with regards to our midfield. I like Hickey and Pyrgos, though I understand the fans' frustration tonight wanting Embra to put pace on the game, we will get there, we are still building to that.

I really hope Hoyland and Brown come back demanding a place in the team, that would give us a fair few options across the back three
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:19 am

Defence was better in the goth, but we still seem to get caught defiending narrow too often, it was similar in the last couple of games where teams seem to get outside us too often.

All 4 props did well and I thought we got a bit of control from 9/10 that we have been looking for. Too often the final pass seems forced though and goes down. Hopefully bedding in problems with a new backline, if we can get it to clock we we will be a force.

I would rather win ugly at this stage and save the champagne stuff for Europe and the play offs.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:30 am

Forwards did well but the backs were a bit of a mess! We had enough good ball and line breaks in 1st half to have put this game to bed but our backs wasted a number of easy chances. Pyrgos looked solid as usual and did nothing wrong but getting the ball to our wingers was very torturous at and laboured. When we broke the line it was like a free for all and our ball carriers ran away from their support and then tried heroic passes that didnt come off or kicked the ball away. I was watching both us and Weegie's game at the same time and the comparison was obvious they held onto the ball, didnt panic and the support runners seem to communicate with ball carrier whereas we just dont know what to do. The Socino and JJ pairing didnt work which was a shame as in VdM and Graham we had two finishers at the top of their game. Graham was excellent last night and hopefully has put to bed any doubts about his size, tackled like a man 20kgs heavier!

Cockers must be pulling his hair out after that performance but surely there has to be some questions about what the team, and especially the backs, are doing on the training paddock. Interesting that in post match interview that Hogg said the Weegies work hard on attack and off loads, support lines, etc. We need to up our game in the backs or else we will continue to lose games we should win and struggle in games we should be getting BPs before half time!

I thought Bradbury was back to his best last night and him and Big Bill made hard yards every time they got the ball. However Watson looked subdued and probably struggling to get big ZZZ following birth of kiddy. Might have been wiser to field Ritchie from the beginning?
doedin
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum