Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

Postby TheSmidge on Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:54 pm

The Chiel wrote:Lewis Wynne captaining Jersey to a sadly far too easy win over Scottish yesterday. Jersey probably irritated by Dan Nutton's early try to give Scottish an early lead and some false hope !

Not sure if he's ever been involved with the Edinburgh pro set up, but on the Jersey bench was tight head Steven Longwell, apparently signed in midweek from Watsonians Super 6. I can't say he's ever really registered with me watching Super 6, but what a great opportunity to play full time rugby on the island, under Harvey Biljon, a head coach renowned for developing forwards and front rows. He's also got Rod Webber, ex Bath, Wasps and Sale hooker to learn from.

The last I saw of Longwell was a couple of weeks ago pulling down successive mauls and getting a yellow card for his troubles. Penalty try for the 2nd one I think as well!
TheSmidge
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:51 pm

Matt Scott at 13 for tigers, 13! :)

Davidson starting for glaws, one dumb pen in first couple of mins.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:30 pm

Anyone watching Quins v Bristol? Quins are playing brilliant rugby, look so much fitter than Bristol.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:00 am

The Feral Goat wrote:Anyone watching Quins v Bristol? Quins are playing brilliant rugby, look so much fitter than Bristol.

Quins were sensational, Smith and Dombrandt were outstanding

Jake Kerr had a very good game for Bristol, again
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:58 am

Sutherland and vd Merwe both start for Wuss today v Hoggy's Exeter.

No sign of Johnny Gray yet
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:27 pm

Sutherland and VDW having a tough night v saints.

Vdw yellow in 6mins and sutherland throwing an interception.

Worcs look poor, we were not great a lot of the time but got a lot out of VDW, zero platform at set piece or breakdown for him to do anything off at worcs.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:18 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Sutherland and VDW having a tough night v saints.

Vdw yellow in 6mins and sutherland throwing an interception.

Worcs look poor, we were not great a lot of the time but got a lot out of VDW, zero platform at set piece or breakdown for him to do anything off at worcs.

Worcester are on course for a third 50 point drubbing. Should have stayed Duhan!
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:49 pm

Darge, McLean Thompson looking good for Glasgow. I'm a fan of Cockerill but I hope Blair makes more of talent like that.

Also a bit jealous of that Leinster squad, the way they keep all their international stars, every single one. They were incredible. Looking forward to seeing how they get on against a fully loaded Sharks team in Durban when it's allowed.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:15 pm

macdone wrote:Also a bit jealous of that Leinster squad, the way they keep all their international stars, every single one.

Questionable tax breaks to make wages hard to compete with, some players privately funded, and not allowing them to play for Ireland if they move away.

To be fair to them their academy delivers a lot of talent and they come into established system that everyone is so well drilled in. Low error rugby delivered repeatedly, with the basics done so well it allows coaching to work on the finer points.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Impega on Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:50 am

Also a bit jealous of that Leinster squad, the way they keep all their international stars, every single one. They were incredible. Looking forward to seeing how they get on against a fully loaded Sharks team in Durban when it's allowed.

I went to the game last night and what struck me was how much bigger and more athletic the Leinster players looked compared to Glasgow guys, generally speaking.

Gordon Strachan was mocked a few years back for saying Scottish genetics have held us back in football. I think with regards rugby there's truth in this, we're forever struggling for big ball carriers and physical grunt. Leinster totally outmuscled Glasgow last night. Harley, Wilson, Gray etc aren't at the races and the likes of Thompson and McLean looked liked like schoolboys trying to challenge men.
Impega
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:53 am

Impega wrote:

I went to the game last night and what struck me was how much bigger and more athletic the Leinster players looked compared to Glasgow guys, generally speaking.

Gordon Strachan was mocked a few years back for saying Scottish genetics have held us back in football. I think with regards rugby there's truth in this, we're forever struggling for big ball carriers and physical grunt. Leinster totally outmuscled Glasgow last night. Harley, Wilson, Gray etc aren't at the races and the likes of Thompson and McLean looked liked like schoolboys trying to challenge men.

tbf a lot of that was down to Glasgow's defensive shape. They deliberately went for more passive tackles and attempted a lot of choke tackles which let Leinster drive through contact a lot.

On genetics, I seriously seriously doubt there's any appreciable genetic difference between Scotland and Ireland. The difference is that Ireland (and Leinster in particular) get more players involved in their pathways. The top 1% of a larger number of players means you get more at the top of the size/strength distribution who are also good rugby players.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:36 pm

Matt Scott starts against the world champions on Saturday.

I hope he has an absolute stormer in a winning team
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:24 pm

McCallum to Worcester. Year and a half contract.

https://www.theoffsideline.com/murray-m ... -warriors/
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:04 am

Disappointed we let him go in the first place and again that we haven’t brought him back. Hope he gets game time and proves his doubters wrong.

Fagerson could certainly do with some decent competition for the No.3 international shirt. I personally thought he, and others, looked a bit too comfy over the last 4 weeks and he needs someone to push him out of that comfort zone.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:30 am

Disappointing not to see him head back to ER but not surprised.

Solly clearly got on well with the players when he was here quite a few speak highly of him and have continued to stay in touch...pity the rugby was total SteveWalsh under his watch.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum