Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh Rugby FPs & Others

Postby bignose on Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:53 pm

Solomons extends his contract at Worcester for 2 more years...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48627028
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:02 am

Pretty frank interview with Luke Hamilton around concussion...and some interesting tales from the Pro D2

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/luke-ham ... -butted-me
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:12 pm

Simon Cross - Defence coach @ Drag-Queens

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48880451
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:14 pm

Stevie Scott joins London Scottish as forwards coach.
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:14 pm

I'm not saying Stevie Scott was the second coming of Jim Telfer as a coach but....

When you think how the forwards and backs comparatively have performed in recent years, both in terms of on field performance and player development, how the hell was Scott let go and Duncan Hodge still in job?

Just goes to show that for all the improvements in recent years there's still a big problem with faces fitting at Murrayfield. With only two pro teams and the limited opportunities that creates we simply cannot afford to carry no-hopers like Hodge, no matter how nice a guy they might be/What school they went to!

I'm glad Scott's still employed in coaching but if we do ever get a grip and get rid of Hodge, can you imagine any other pro club in Europe employing him?
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:26 pm

The Nudger wrote:I'm not saying Stevie Scott was the second coming of Jim Telfer as a coach but....

When you think how the forwards and backs comparatively have performed in recent years, both in terms of on field performance and player development, how the hell was Scott let go and Duncan Hodge still in job?

Just goes to show that for all the improvements in recent years there's still a big problem with faces fitting at Murrayfield. With only two pro teams and the limited opportunities that creates we simply cannot afford to carry no-hopers like Hodge, no matter how nice a guy they might be/What school they went to!

I'm glad Scott's still employed in coaching but if we do ever get a grip and get rid of Hodge, can you imagine any other pro club in Europe employing him?

Because Cockerill wanted to look after the forwards?
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:15 pm

I often think of this try when I hear criticism of Hodge, this is straight off the training paddock

https://youtu.be/abYGdHKX95k?t=80

HP ships from the base and immediately sets off diagonally in front of where he has passed, the ball gets to Kinghorn who drifts and takes the defenders with him, Scott cuts against the drift and pops to HP who is waiting in just the right spot and he goes over to score - there was nothing accidental about any of it.

We suffer, I think, because our overall game plan is all about control and if we are not fully in control we are fragile. If you compare with Glasgow, you know they can and will score from anywhere at anytime, whereas we need for everything to be going to plan.

I think there is a lot in the old top three inches, too, we don't have the confidence to dig in and know we will win, the number of league points we shipped from a winning position last season suggests a mental fragility rather than the single issue of the quality of attack coach. The fact that as things got tighter towards the end of the season, our play got tighter and we fielded the likes of Mata who had numbers far in excess of his nearest rival across the entire league in terms of carries and winning collisions only reinforces my opinion on this. Cockerill has admitted that he overplayed some guys, aye his hands were tied by injury at times, but we had the likes of McCallum and Marfo twiddling their thumbs whilst others were practically out on their feet.
This happens sometimes, Glasgow looked tired at the end of the 17/18 season, but this Spring they really hit their straps, they would have beaten any other side in the final.

I hope we get a bye from the injury gods this coming season, it would be good to see what a fit and firing backline can do behind what is a pretty decent pack.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:39 am

Tichtheid wrote:I often think of this try when I hear criticism of Hodge, this is straight off the training paddock

We scored some great stuff off first phase ball last season. Where we have some definite issues is when we have penalty advantage or when we are camped in the oppo 22 and there is nothing in the toolkit.

However, can't blame Hodge for Pyrgos being overplayed and losing form and a game plan that doesn't involve giving the ball to the backs.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:29 am

robdinsdale wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I often think of this try when I hear criticism of Hodge, this is straight off the training paddock

We scored some great stuff off first phase ball last season. Where we have some definite issues is when we have penalty advantage or when we are camped in the oppo 22 and there is nothing in the toolkit.

However, can't blame Hodge for Pyrgos being overplayed and losing form and a game plan that doesn't involve giving the ball to the backs.

He is definitely partly to blame for that. Unless RC has been flat out ignoring him.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:46 pm

Pyrgos played 17/21 league games and averaged over 70 mins per game. In the HC he played 7/7, again averaging over 70 mins per game. In eight seasons at Glasgow he never played anything like that number of minutes.

Scrum half is one of the more athletically demanding positions, I'd bet they run further than anyone else in a match. The coaching staff obviously saw Pyrgos as key to The Plan, but you can't rely on one guy to that extent.

Hopefully Groom will be a good substitute and Sheil will get more time, he looked more than ready when he did get on the park last season.

I've just had a look through the European games, and there was a good mix of scores from first phase, from biffing it up through the forwards from a few meters out, from counter attack and from getting beyond the gainline, putting the defence on the back foot. I didn't have the heart to watch through highlights of the league games tbh, but my feeling is that we looked like we ran out of ideas more in the second half of the season.

We have a devastating try machine who tends to sit out on his wing and doesn't look for enough work, deja vu for us, but we do need to use him more, he and Sammy H-C had a good combo going with the chip through for VDM to run on to, we didn't really use that tactic much at all last season.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:07 pm

Well who would have thought, Edinburgh cast off Piers Francis heading off to RWC 2019 with England
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Yes incredible how he reinvented himself as a centre and has made the RWC squad!
So congratulations to the lad who took a hell of a lot of stick on these forums and persevered to this level.Good life lesson there to take the flak and just work hard.
(Having said that I thought most of the England backs looked pretty menacing yesterday and Peirs is just very much "military medium" but perhaps shows that just doing the basics well can somtimes get you a long way-and of course he gives them a third stand off option which is important ( and of course thatoption may get Peter Horne into our 31 instead of better pure centres?)
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:35 am

Jordan Lay is playing for Samoa vs Oz, his side are really up against it

Scotland play Samoa on the 30th
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:28 am

Edit: realised this was posted on wrong thread.

Ritchie being assessed at home and Bradbury flying to Japan. Not good news for JR, hopefully nothing too serious but I fear it'll be bad news.
Last edited by BigD163 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigD163
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum